+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Please Advice me on PR and CEC

agitator

Jul 5, 2011
Hi,

I have college education in Canada from a top university. UBC. from 2009-2011, With a bachelors degree.

In 2011 November, I graduated and went to work on a film in India.

I came back to Canada in May 2012 and started working freelance as a video editor in Vancouver till August 2013.

My work visa in Canada is valid till Sept 2014.

I am presently in India, working on another film project.

I shall return to Canada in Feb 2014 to start work again in Vancouver with 3 studios as a freelance editor.

At the same time I want to apply for my PR, is that a good idea ? Since I have a BFA degree from a top university and work experience in Canada...

Please advice !

Thank you !

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
agitator said:
Hi,

I have college education in Canada from a top university. UBC. from 2009-2011, With a bachelors degree.

In 2011 November, I graduated and went to work on a film in India.

I came back to Canada in May 2012 and started working freelance as a video editor in Vancouver till August 2013.

My work visa in Canada is valid till Sept 2014.

I am presently in India, working on another film project.

I shall return to Canada in Feb 2014 to start work again in Vancouver with 3 studios as a freelance editor.

At the same time I want to apply for my PR, is that a good idea ? Since I have a BFA degree from a top university and work experience in Canada...

Please advice !

Thank you !
Top university doesn't make a difference. As you are self employed, you aren't eligible for CIC.

agitator

Jul 5, 2011
Oh! So if I am self employed, I can still apply for PR right ? Since I have work experience...But as my work visa is expiring in 2014 September, should I apply for PR first or renew the work visa ?

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
agitator said:
Oh! So if I am self employed, I can still apply for PR right ? Since I have work experience...But as my work visa is expiring in 2014 September, should I apply for PR first or renew the work visa ?
No, actually. I don't think you qualify under CEC or FSW. You would only be eligible if you had experience as an employee. Sorry mate. Isn't looking good for you.

agitator

Jul 5, 2011
Hi from the CIC website

"have at least 12 months of full-time (or an equal amount in part-time) skilled work experience in Canada in the three years before you apply,"

And I fall under a specific skilled worker category...so why am i not eligible ? I have been working freelance for three studios over the past year in Vancouver...

Thanks !

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
agitator said:
Hi from the CIC website

"have at least 12 months of full-time (or an equal amount in part-time) skilled work experience in Canada in the three years before you apply,"

And I fall under a specific skilled worker category...so why am i not eligible ? I have been working freelance for three studios over the past year in Vancouver...

Thanks !
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op25a-eng.pdf

"Any periods of self-employment or unauthorized work will not be included in calculating the period of work experience [R87.1(3)(b)]. A person who has worked in Canada without authorization has failed to comply with A30(1), and on that basis could be found inadmissible under A41."

You were not employed, so it doesn't count.

Sorry.

agitator

Jul 5, 2011
Hi

Wow this is just weird, because in the Film and Video industry everyone is Self Employed, and I have a work permit which enabled me to work freelance contract basis for studios in Vancouver...this just seems strange...

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
agitator said:
Hi

Wow this is just weird, because in the Film and Video industry everyone is Self Employed, and I have a work permit which enabled me to work freelance contract basis for studios in Vancouver...this just seems strange...
You haven't done anything illegal but as a result of being self employed, you don't qualify for immigration through canadian experience class. It's a bummer, if the permit allows you to be self employed I think they should consider the experience, but sadly nothing to do with me! :(

agitator

Jul 5, 2011
No worries dude, then going by this rule, media professionals don't get PR ! Because most of the jobs are contract basis and are not full time. Glitch in the system.

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
agitator said:
No worries dude, then going by this rule, media professionals don't get PR ! Because most of the jobs are contract basis and are not full time. Glitch in the system.
You could possibly chance it, if you can demonstrate it was more like an "employment" deal than self employment but I think it may be difficult. Maybe get a good consultation with a top notch immigration lawyer.

Hopefulagain

Apr 20, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
agitator said:
Agitator, there is a BIG difference between contract employees and self-employed. A contract employee can be employed by a company and hence, could be eligible for CEC. A self employed has almost no chance of successfully gaining residency through CEC.

The biggest difference between a self employed and a contract employee is that a self-employed will pay his/her own taxes whereas a contract employee can get a T4 from the company that has employed him/her.

Please remember that if you are incorporated and you give yourself a T4 - that does not count.

Also, full time employment is not a requirement for CEC. You can work part-time and still be eligible for CEC.

You just have to figure out if you are eligible or not.

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hopefulagain said:
Agitator, there is a BIG difference between contract employees and self-employed. A contract employee can be employed by a company and hence, could be eligible for CEC. A self employed has almost no chance of successfully gaining residency through CEC.

The biggest difference between a self employed and a contract employee is that a self-employed will pay his/her own taxes whereas a contract employee can get a T4 from the company that has employed him/her.

Please remember that if you are incorporated and you give yourself a T4 - that does not count.

Also, full time employment is not a requirement for CEC. You can work part-time and still be eligible for CEC.

You just have to figure out if you are eligible or not.
He gets a T4A and has to pay his own taxes.