+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Planning to land in Feb and have few related queries!!!

meena

Champion Member
Apr 20, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25th June'09
Doc's Request.
18th Sep'09
AOR Received.
22nd Jan'10
Med's Request
7th April
Med's Done....
1st May
Passport Req..
7th April'10
VISA ISSUED...
31st May'10
LANDED..........
Landed on 12th March'11
Hi Seniors,

I am planning to land Missisauga by the end of Feb'11.
I would like to know few things like:

1. Should I apply for International Driving Lisence before I leave for Canada or I can go without it also. Though I know in my first few months I would not be able to effort any Car. Please guide at which stage it requires and the importance of having IDL from our contry only.

2. I would be taking all kitchen Utensils including pulses and masalas for the same. Should I mention that too in the list which i would be showing there to the Officer.

3. Can I get my money tranfer into Travellers Cheque and rest like 2000$ as cash.

4. For rentals which place wud be better, Missisauga or Toronto. I am looking for cheap apartments and that too in good location and no basement.

5. My son is 2.5 years old and his immune system is very weak. Is this the right time to land there.

Looking forward to hear from u Seniors.
Meena..

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Hi,

1. Should I apply for International Driving Lisence before I leave for Canada or I can go without it also. Though I know in my first few months I would not be able to effort any Car. Please guide at which stage it requires and the importance of having IDL from our contry only.
U'd require the IDL/IDP to drive a 'rented car' after landing, for 2 months max in Ontario. If u do not wish to rent one - u do not need the IDL/IDP. But, don't forget to obtain your "DL Authentication Letter" - w/out that u'd not be able to fetch a waiver from the Canadian DL graduated system.

2. I would be taking all kitchen Utensils including pulses and masalas for the same. Should I mention that too in the list which i would be showing there to the Officer.
Anything & everything that u bring along should be listed in the B4s. Just the 'gross figures' r required. U might escape w/out mentionning some - but, if stopped - u might get into a 'spin' - why take the risk?

3. Can I get my money tranfer into Travellers Cheque and rest like 2000$ as cash.
Yes, why not? However, a Bank Draft is a preferred choice.

4. For rentals which place wud be better, Missisauga or Toronto. I am looking for cheap apartments and that too in good location and no basement.
I have written about it ealrier. Both locations have their own pros & cons. For ease of transit - Toronto downtown would be better - TTC is great! But, for cost-of-renting Mississauga would be far cheaper.

5. My son is 2.5 years old and his immune system is very weak. Is this the right time to land there.
Feb will be very cold. Snowfall & Blizzards. However, if u r not always 'out' - it doesn't matter. But, as u stated earlier that u'd not be driving for sometime - it might pose a problem for u. Waiting at a bus stop, during snow storms is a heart wrenching experience. Nonetheless, nothing stops in Toronto - businesses go on as usual. So, it's u & only u who need to decide. But, with that baby's condition - if u had a choice - coming here in the summers (after May) should be wise.

Good Luck!

Qorax

meena

Champion Member
Apr 20, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25th June'09
Doc's Request.
18th Sep'09
AOR Received.
22nd Jan'10
Med's Request
7th April
Med's Done....
1st May
Passport Req..
7th April'10
VISA ISSUED...
31st May'10
LANDED..........
Landed on 12th March'11
Thanx a lot Qorax,

I always appreciate your replies.

It gives me proper guidance always.

Ragarding my reaching would be Feb only as on 1st May my Visa wud get expired. I wud take extra care for my son.

Thanx again.

Meena

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you live downtown Toronto, you can find a building that is connected to the underground shopping and metro. That way, you would never have to go outside. Still, I think as long as you wrap your son up well before you take him outside, he should be fine. Canadian children survive the winter too.

meena

Champion Member
Apr 20, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25th June'09
Doc's Request.
18th Sep'09
AOR Received.
22nd Jan'10
Med's Request
7th April
Med's Done....
1st May
Passport Req..
7th April'10
VISA ISSUED...
31st May'10
LANDED..........
Landed on 12th March'11
Thanx a lot Leon.

And yes I agree with you.

Actually I was more concern because my son is a preterm baby. But I understand giving him extra care wud work.

Thanx again.

meena

Champion Member
Apr 20, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25th June'09
Doc's Request.
18th Sep'09
AOR Received.
22nd Jan'10
Med's Request
7th April
Med's Done....
1st May
Passport Req..
7th April'10
VISA ISSUED...
31st May'10
LANDED..........
Landed on 12th March'11
qorax said:
Hi,

Yes, why not? However, a Bank Draft is a preferred choice.
Meena>>> Please provide me more details on Bank Draft.
This Bank Draft will be on whose name and how this would be encashed.
Meena

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
meena said:
Meena>>> Please provide me more details on Bank Draft.
This Bank Draft will be on whose name and how this would be encashed.
Meena
U get the draft made on your 'own' name, payable at one of the banks in Canada.

Encashing Timeframe:
-If the draft's drawee bank is in your city (of landing)................... different bank than yours............ 72hrs.
-If the draft's drawee bank is NOT in your city (of landing)............ different bank than yours............ 96hrs.
-If the draft's drawee bank is in your city (of landing)................... same bank as yours.................... 24hrs.
-If the draft's drawee bank is NOT in your city (of landing)............ same bank as yours................... 48hrs.

Qorax
*There's no lock-in period.

prsh_patel

Feb 9, 2010
Vadodara
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-11-2009
Doc's Request.
30-01-2010
AOR Received.
30-03-2010
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
3rd Feb 2010
Med's Request
08-07-2010
Med's Done....
13-07-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
08-07-2010
VISA ISSUED...
25-10-2010
LANDED..........
Jan 2011
qorax said:
U get the draft made on your 'own' name, payable at one of the banks in Canada.

Encashing Timeframe:
-If the draft's drawee bank is in your city (of landing)................... different bank than yours............ 72hrs.
-If the draft's drawee bank is NOT in your city (of landing)............ different bank than yours............ 96hrs.
-If the draft's drawee bank is in your city (of landing)................... same bank as yours.................... 24hrs.
-If the draft's drawee bank is NOT in your city (of landing)............ same bank as yours................... 48hrs.

Qorax
*There's no lock-in period.
Thats nice info Qorax...one of my freind recently moved to canada and he carried bank draft from Thomas cook, the draft is still yet to get clearance even after over 1 n half month...i'm really not sure whats the glitch, but i'll be inquiring about bank drafts from thomas cook and icici in a day or two...i'll be landing in toronto in 3rd week of jan...thanks for the info...

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
prsh_patel said:
Thats nice info Qorax...one of my freind recently moved to canada and he carried bank draft from Thomas cook, the draft is still yet to get clearance even after over 1 n half month...i'm really not sure whats the glitch, but i'll be inquiring about bank drafts from thomas cook and icici in a day or two...i'll be landing in toronto in 3rd week of jan...thanks for the info...
Yes, with drafts there's a danger of delays (mostly due to the banking arrangement of some FOREX houses). Which is why, it's advisable to observe the 80-20 rule (20% in cash). However, these delays r not 'usual'... they do not occur with all.

If u r doing "Bank-to-Bank" (ie. overseas bank to a Canadian bank) - those timeframes, which I mentioned before, r perfect. But, if u r doing "FOREX House-to-Bank" - u could expect delays... only in some cases. And in that scenario it's always wise to make the draft/s from a FOREX House which has a relationship with a Canadian Bank in your city of landing.

I bring-in my drafts (even one last month), which is drawn from a FOREX House in Dubai (Al Fardan Exchange). They r tied-up with BMO-Toronto. I deposit them in my A/c with TD-toronto (different bank)... and they get credited within 48hrs everytime. So, it depends on the FOREX House, as I stated before.

Qorax

wasay_123

Jul 25, 2011
hey qurox,

i m from india..our driving lisence is in english, do i still need a International driving lisence to just drive only for starting 2 months? or my original lisence will be enough for driving for the first 2 months?

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
wasay_123 said:
hey qurox,

i m from india..our driving lisence is in english, do i still need a International driving lisence to just drive only for starting 2 months? or my original lisence will be enough for driving for the first 2 months?
U require the IDP/IDL... your current Indian DL won't work.
Qorax

vinod Kumar saini

Feb 10, 2014
delhi
Category........
Visa Office......
chc delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19/5/2010
Doc's Request.
27/8/2010
Med's Request
15/10/2013
Med's Done....
29/10/2013
VISA ISSUED...
29/1/2014
meena said:
Thanx a lot Qorax,

I always appreciate your replies.

It gives me proper guidance always.

Ragarding my reaching would be Feb only as on 1st May my Visa wud get expired. I wud take extra care for my son.

Thanx again.

Meena
hi
this is vinod kumar saini.i got my visa on april 2014 we are planing to lad on first may.i have some query. please guide if possible the following

we are four member me my wife and 2 daughter of age 4 & 2 year
i am automotive mechanical engineer.i dont have job in canada,for starting month i have to survive i know.i have registered my self in WES of credential education essement.may i got job there of my profession,or may i have to study there

2 my older daughter cross 4 on july 2014.how she got admission in school.what document i need for admission.what is the minimum age there for schooling.what about immunization card.

3.how i got driving licence there

4 may i purchase car with in first month of landing(either if i do not have PR card i.e recive after 50 day of landing)

5,how i am eligible for purchase a house there

6 where i have to stay in ontario ...good place for live ,according to child and there school.

7 how nurse got job there.is there any type of exam they have to clear

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
vinod Kumar saini said:
i am automotive mechanical engineer.i dont have job in canada,for starting month i have to survive i know.i have registered my self in WES of credential education essement.may i got job there of my profession,or may i have to study there

2 my older daughter cross 4 on july 2014.how she got admission in school.what document i need for admission.what is the minimum age there for schooling.what about immunization card.

3.how i got driving licence there

4 may i purchase car with in first month of landing(either if i do not have PR card i.e recive after 50 day of landing)

5,how i am eligible for purchase a house there

6 where i have to stay in ontario ...good place for live ,according to child and there school.

7 how nurse got job there.is there any type of exam they have to clear
1) You can definitely try to get a job and see what happens. You can try searching online for example here: http://ca.indeed.com/Automotive-Engineer-jobs

However, in order to work as an engineer in Canada, you need to get certified. You should look for the college of engineers here: http://cicic.ca/684/Mechanical_Engineers.canada?noc=2132

You may however be able to get a job in a lower position while you work on getting certified in Canada. You may be able to find a job as an assistant or a draftsman for example while you work on something better.

2) Canadian children generally start kindergarten at age 5. If you really want your child to start earlier, you can look for a pre-kindergarten program. When it's time to find a school, look here: http://www.edu.gov.on.ca/eng/parents/faq-parents.html The first question, "which school can my child attend" takes you to the link to find a school for where you live. For a public school, you can only pick your neighbourhood school. For a private school, it is up to you but then you pay. You can check school ratings here: http://ontario.compareschoolrankings.org/elementary/SchoolsByRankLocationName.aspx You should ask your family doctor at home for a vaccination card or a letter stating which vaccinations your children have had. Once you are in Canada, you look for a family doctor, show them the letter/card and ask them to fill out a Canadian vaccination card for your children. You can find an immunization schedule here: http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/im/iyc-vve/immunizationresults-eng.php?P%2FT=9&months=4&days=30&years=2010#scheduler-frm

3) There are some other posts on drivers licenses, see here: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/how-to-get-canadian-driving-license-for-newcomers-t39566.0.html

4) Yes

5) If you can pay 75% up front, it might not be a problem. Otherwise, you will have a problem getting a mortgage as a newcomer. You would need to have a steady job, preferably have worked for a year. Then you can try it.

6) The best place to live is where you can get a job. Don't get too settled and be ready to move if you get a good opportunity.

7) Yes, nurses have to clear an exam. You can get more info here: http://cicic.ca/403/occupational-profiles-for-selected-trades-and-professions.canada?crit=1&sprofession=nurse&sRegulated=&sSkillLevel= There are two main types of nurses, registered and practical. It is easier to get certified as a practical nurse because it is less education. However, registered nurses are better paid. Some foreign nurses have started off getting certified as practical so they could work as they prepare for the more difficult exam of a registered nurse.