+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pilot Program for Open Work Permit for Spousal Sponsorship

Kesha

Apr 22, 2016
Hi,
I am writing this question regarding the pilot program for open work permit. I spoke to a lawyer today and he said that this ends on January 31, 2019 for those who have not submitted their application for spousal sponsorship inland. I then spoke to another lawyer and he said opposite. He was saying that we can still apply for the open work permit. I am completely confused and was wondering if anyone has any knowledge and experience around this topic .
thanks

Flori-Ana

Star Member
Jan 28, 2019
Hi,
I am writing this question regarding the pilot program for open work permit. I spoke to a lawyer today and he said that this ends on January 31, 2019 for those who have not submitted their application for spousal sponsorship inland. I then spoke to another lawyer and he said opposite. He was saying that we can still apply for the open work permit. I am completely confused and was wondering if anyone has any knowledge and experience around this topic .
thanks
Hello Kesha, I called them and asked this question 2 weeks ago. They told me they had no news regarding the extension of this pilot project, but they confirmed that the spouses will still be able to apply for the OWP, however it will take more than 4 months to receive it. I suspect that you will only be able to apply after you get approval in principle in the PR application, but they should update the website on Friday to say what exactly will happen.

Kesha

Apr 22, 2016
Hello Kesha, I called them and asked this question 2 weeks ago. They told me they had no news regarding the extension of this pilot project, but they confirmed that the spouses will still be able to apply for the OWP, however it will take more than 4 months to receive it. I suspect that you will only be able to apply after you get approval in principle in the PR application, but they should update the website on Friday to say what exactly will happen.
thank you so much this is very helpful.
I do hope they extend it for our families sake.

Reactions: Flori-Ana

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
Hi,
thanks
The first lawyer is right. It's a pilot program that ends January 21 2019 with no news of extending as of yet.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/special-initiatives-pilot-project/partner.html

As of December 22, 2014, open work permits may be issued under a pilot program to applicants who are in the spouse or common-law partner in Canada (SCLPC) class. The duration of this pilot program has been extended to January 31, 2019.

Maang48

Jan 29, 2019
Hi, i got refusal on my OWP .im in India.my wife is studing in Toronto.my document was Land valuation, resident valuation,marriage cards both,ITR, Engagement hotel bill and photographs,Marriage hotel bills and photos, Honeymoon hotel bills and photos,Bank balace upto 5 lacks in joint account with my wife,Her identity of my place,My work experience,parents support affidavits,her bank balance certificate and study and visa document ,what is miss in these documents,,Please suggest me.thank you

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
Hi, i got refusal on my OWP .im in India.my wife is studing in Toronto.my document was Land valuation, resident valuation,marriage cards both,ITR, Engagement hotel bill and photographs,Marriage hotel bills and photos, Honeymoon hotel bills and photos,Bank balace upto 5 lacks in joint account with my wife,Her identity of my place,My work experience,parents support affidavits,her bank balance certificate and study and visa document ,what is miss in these documents,,Please suggest me.thank you
Did you apply for spousal sponsorship?

Maang48

Jan 29, 2019
Did you apply for spousal sponsorship?
Yes but my agent said you will got Open work permit.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017

Yes but my agent said you will got Open work permit.
Is your wife a PR of Canada???
If she is only on study permit, OWP for spouse that holds study permit is never guarantee.

Post your question on international student section. This section is for PR or Citizen of Canada sponsoring their spouses to become PR.

Eveslm

Champion Member
Jun 21, 2018
Edmonton
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Hi,
thanks
It has been extended to July 31st 2020