+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Physical presence calculator

Sohpie2017

Star Member
Nov 8, 2017
Hi,
Does anyone have experience claiming days present in Canada while on visitor visa (before becoming permanent resident)as part of physical presence calculation for citizenship. did this cause any delay? get rejected? what document did you include to support that?
thanks for your help.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hi,
Does anyone have experience claiming days present in Canada while on visitor visa (before becoming permanent resident)as part of physical presence calculation for citizenship. did this cause any delay? get rejected? what document did you include to support that?
thanks for your help.
I did not claim days present on visitor visa but I did claim for days present on a Work Permit (approx 720 days), which were calculated as 360 days
During this time, I did travel outside of Canada a few times, these days were deducted half as well.
My application is process, so far so good. Applied in first week of Aug 2021, AoR received end of Oct and Application is in process since 4th Feb...

Reactions: Sohpie2017

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,
thanks for your help.
You can’t count days as a visitor towards citizenship.

walter_white

Aug 30, 2019
You can’t count days as a visitor towards citizenship.
Each day spent in Canada as a temporary resident or protected person within the last 5 years counts as one half day when you calculate your physical presence. You can use a maximum of 365 days as a temporary resident or protected person toward your time spent in Canada.

A temporary resident is someone who is authorized to enter or stay in Canada as a:

• visitor
  • student
  • worker or
  • temporary resident permit holder

Reactions: Sohpie2017

Mah11

Star Member
Oct 20, 2021
Hi guys, my application returned due to a physical presence mistake, The worst part is that I don't know what my mistake is. I did it online.
this is my situation: I was in Canada for one mount in April 2017, and then have been here since Nov 21st, 2017 as a visitor until now, one time I extend my visa for 5 mounts and before it finished I left Canada for 5 days, after coming back I applied for PR which I got on Sep12th 2019. and for now, I signed my citizen application on November 7th,2021 with 1130 days for physical presence. I didn't send my extended visa paper to them, I don't know maybe this is a mistake. right now I have no idea about my mistake.

Sohpie2017

Star Member
Nov 8, 2017
Hi guys, my application returned due to a physical presence mistake, The worst part is that I don't know what my mistake is. I did it online.
this is my situation: I was in Canada for one mount in April 2017, and then have been here since Nov 21st, 2017 as a visitor until now, one time I extend my visa for 5 mounts and before it finished I left Canada for 5 days, after coming back I applied for PR which I got on Sep12th 2019. and for now, I signed my citizen application on November 7th,2021 with 1130 days for physical presence. I didn't send my extended visa paper to them, I don't know maybe this is a mistake. right now I have no idea about my mistake.
My understanding was they do not keep the record of presence in Canada on Visitor visa. In case of my mom, she applied for citizenship in September claiming couple of month of presence while she was on visitor visa. The application was rejected first time since we did not provide any proof of those visitor stays. What we did was to resubmit the application again and included a cover letter explaining all the dates of visitor visa and also supported those dates with copy of passports showing the arrival stamp and also airline tickets. This time it got accepted and she received AOR last week. Suggest to provide any supporting document you have and also provide a cover letter explaining the situation. combine all document in one file and upload under the supporting document. Hopefully it will work for you too.

Mah11

Star Member
Oct 20, 2021
My understanding was they do not keep the record of presence in Canada on Visitor visa. In case of my mom, she applied for citizenship in September claiming couple of month of presence while she was on visitor visa. The application was rejected first time since we did not provide any proof of those visitor stays. What we did was to resubmit the application again and included a cover letter explaining all the dates of visitor visa and also supported those dates with copy of passports showing the arrival stamp and also airline tickets. This time it got accepted and she received AOR last week. Suggest to provide any supporting document you have and also provide a cover letter explaining the situation. combine all document in one file and upload under the supporting document. Hopefully it will work for you too.
Thank you so much, I sent them some copies from my passport which showed all stamps and also I added a translation of every page that includes some stamps that were not in English. but I try it again as you recommend. thank you so much for your time.