+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PhD Student Visa Rejected Based on Financial Reasons-Any advice?

sanem91

Mar 12, 2017
Hi everyone,
I've been accepted to a PhD program in an accredited Canadian University. The yearly tuition fee is approx. 6650 CAD. I've applied for a visa with a bank account statement showing approx. 7500 CAD. I've also shown a letter from the university stating that they will give me a yearly fellowship of 10.000 CAD and also 5000 CAD based on a TA position. In addition I've shown two house deeds belonging to my parents. However I haven't submit any sponsorship letters (or any letter stating financial support) from my parents. Also the university sent me an official student permit document which I've attached to my application, and here my funding/scholarship status is shown as "unknown" (so the amount of 15000 fellowship/TA is not shown in that document).
I've immediately got a refusal stating that I don't "have sufficient and available financial resources, without working in Canada, to pay the tuition fees for the course or program of studies that you intend to pursue". Well now the question is what should I do? Unfortunately now my father is waiting for getting retirement so temporarily we are in a difficult situation because nobody has got a regular salary, but this situation will be over in Summer. Would it be sufficient if I show the same house deeds again, this time with sponsorship letters from my parents? Or should I show more money in my bank account (and therefore wait until Summer to apply again)? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks! :(

good boy

Feb 17, 2017
sanem91 said:
Hi everyone,
I've been accepted to a PhD program in an accredited Canadian University. The yearly tuition fee is approx. 6650 CAD. I've applied for a visa with a bank account statement showing approx. 7500 CAD. I've also shown a letter from the university stating that they will give me a yearly fellowship of 10.000 CAD and also 5000 CAD based on a TA position. In addition I've shown two house deeds belonging to my parents. However I haven't submit any sponsorship letters (or any letter stating financial support) from my parents. Also the university sent me an official student permit document which I've attached to my application, and here my funding/scholarship status is shown as "unknown" (so the amount of 15000 fellowship/TA is not shown in that document).
I've immediately got a refusal stating that I don't "have sufficient and available financial resources, without working in Canada, to pay the tuition fees for the course or program of studies that you intend to pursue". Well now the question is what should I do? Unfortunately now my father is waiting for getting retirement so temporarily we are in a difficult situation because nobody has got a regular salary, but this situation will be over in Summer. Would it be sufficient if I show the same house deeds again, this time with sponsorship letters from my parents? Or should I show more money in my bank account (and therefore wait until Summer to apply again)? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks! :(
You need $10000+ tuition fees minimum. Clearly VO was not convinced with your 15000/yr document. What I would suggest is to get a CAIPS note first. That will tell you what exactly went wrong. Then you can decide which way to go.

sanem91

Mar 12, 2017
Thanks a lot for your reply & suggestion. I think you are right and I've already applied for a CAIPS note last week. Hope to get good news soon ::)

saif_jlt

Dec 5, 2016
Hi.

How did you apply for the CAIPS notes ? Did u engage one of the online services available ?

Who do u recommend ?

Thanks.

sanem91

Mar 12, 2017
Hi, no I didn't got any online services and applied by myself directly according to the information on the cic.gc.ca website (the forum doesnt allow me to send links)
hope it helps!
saif_jlt said:
Hi.

How did you apply for the CAIPS notes ? Did u engage one of the online services available ?

Who do u recommend ?

Thanks.

Tazim123

Star Member
Dec 28, 2016
Ohh. You are getting visa this time. Everything was good. But why did they reject visa 1st time ? As you was fully funded.

sunny_guyed

Jul 5, 2016
Often a Ph.D. candidate gets a full scholarship from a University, but in your case, you did not get a full scholarship?

amirtha1922

Feb 4, 2019
Hi everyone,
Will they reject u if u have a backlog of 12 years when u apply for phd