+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP - Should I stop working until applying

HedyF

Oct 10, 2017
Hi There,

I heard I should stop working from the day I received the letter of completion until the day I apply for the PGWP. I know it doesn’t make sense if I am already employed, but I am worry about it.

Thanks in advance.

Keyjoe23

Jul 31, 2015
Hi,

Yes. I was in the same boat a month ago and I contacted CIC and verified with them everything.

Once you are issued the degree completion letter, you should stop working until you apply for the PGWP because they would check if you have worked after receiving the letter and before applying for the PGWP. Many people got refused because of this trick as your status changes to "Unregistered to any course".

However, you were legal working before receiving your degree completion letter.

In my case, I finished my course on the 19th of August and got my degree Completion letter on Monday the 4th of September.

I kept working from 19th of August to the 4th of September, then stopped from the 4th of September to the 7th of September where I applied for my PGWP, then resumed work on the 9th.

I also mentioned that in my letter of explanation just to be more secure.

hlk.10

Feb 17, 2021
Hi,

Yes. I was in the same boat a month ago and I contacted CIC and verified with them everything.

Once you are issued the degree completion letter, you should stop working until you apply for the PGWP because they would check if you have worked after receiving the letter and before applying for the PGWP. Many people got refused because of this trick as your status changes to "Unregistered to any course".

However, you were legal working before receiving your degree completion letter.

In my case, I finished my course on the 19th of August and got my degree Completion letter on Monday the 4th of September.

I kept working from 19th of August to the 4th of September, then stopped from the 4th of September to the 7th of September where I applied for my PGWP, then resumed work on the 9th.

I also mentioned that in my letter of explanation just to be more secure.
Hi,
I am in a similar situation currently. I am graduating in April 2021, and I have an on-campus job till June. Since you have been through the process, can you answer this from your experience?
Does "stop working" mean taking leave from work till you apply for PGWP or the employer needs to re-hire you again after applying.
Also, does CIC consider final marks released as completion of the degree or the degree completion letter, because there might a few days in between the final marks being uploaded by the university and getting the completion letter, is it allowed to work during that time.