+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

**PGWP** Query

Mar 27, 2020
Hey Guys,

My name is Abhishek and am currently doing my Post Graduate Diploma in Project Management (Sept 2019 Intake) (ONE YEAR COURSE and NOT planning to take another course)

Context/timelines involved:
  • The Final Day of Classes: April 17th 2020
  • Final day for Grades to be entered into the system: April 24th 2020
  • Day on which I can apply for my FINAL Transcripts: May 4th 2020 (2-3 days to process and anywhere between 3-10 days to PHYSICALLY (not email) arrive to my mailbox)
  • Day from which the college PHYSICALLY sends out Course Completion Letter to my mailbox: May 19th 2020 is when this process commences
  • Study Permit Expiry: July 31st 2020
  • Passport Expiry: Feb 16th 2021 (have applied to BLS Ottawa for PP extension via postal order and should take 2 months easily)
Job in hand/EE status:
  • NOC B, am doing 20 hours per week for the past 2 weeks (compliant with Study Permit rules), but my employer will soon expect me to do Full Time as he/she knows that my classes will end on April 17th 2020.
  • Due to COVID-19, having a job is a boon and I would not want to lose it and at the same time not jeopardize my immigration standing and status.
  • Currently have a CRS score of 441 (that will move to 489 once I update my profile after I graduate in May 2020), and I will NOT be listing my job offer as it is NOT a VALID one (I will try to arrange the 13k+ dollars needed to show as Proof of Funds)
Assumptions/Questions:

1) I was under the assumption that one could IMMEDIATELY start working FULL TIME(April 18th 2020 in my case) as soon as classes got over (this is similar to a study break scenario in December where people can work 20+ Hours on a Study Permit), would April 18th 2020 not count as a break from studies for a person who HAS NOT applied for another course?

2) I understand that for a PGWP, you need 2 Documents (Final Transcript+ Course Completion Letter) to be uploaded on the CIC site, but now, I am going to receive the 2 Documents on DIFFERENT dates, please confirm if the below statement is correct

"Students who are graduating can work part-time between the last day of your classes and the date you get EITHER, your transcript or your completion letter. If you get one or the other you have to stop working completely until you apply for the PGWP"

In the above scenario, I may end up receiving my Final Transcripts close to 2-3 weeks BEFORE my Course Completion Certificate, am I supposed to stop working completely for these 2-3 weeks after I receive my Final Transcript OR can I continue working (part-time/full time) till I receive BOTH the documents with me (I will apply for PGWP immediately after I have the 2 Documents in my hand and move to an IMPLIED STATUS that will allow me to work 40 hours a week)

3) Has anybody had any luck asking their college to release an email/softcopy version of these 2 documents? (my assumption is that email/softcopy is always faster to send that a physical mail)

4) Can a PGWP be applied by UPLOADING JUST/ONLY 1 of the Documents (can I upload the Final Transcript that I will be receiving early and apply for PGWP?), and we can add the other document at a later date or by contacting IRCC?

Thank you for reading this far and your help!

This is not a very clear process and I wouldn't want to be on the wrong side of the law, so I appreciate any weigh in on this matter :)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hey Guys,

My name is Abhishek and am currently doing my Post Graduate Diploma in Project Management (Sept 2019 Intake) (ONE YEAR COURSE and NOT planning to take another course)

• Day on which I can apply for my FINAL Transcripts: May 4th 2020 (2-3 days to process and anywhere between 3-10 days to PHYSICALLY (not email) arrive to my mailbox)
  • Day from which the college PHYSICALLY sends out Course Completion Letter to my mailbox: May 19th 2020 is when this process commences
  • Passport Expiry: Feb 16th 2021 (have applied to BLS Ottawa for PP extension via postal order and should take 2 months easily)
Job in hand/EE status:
  • NOC B, am doing 20 hours per week for the past 2 weeks (compliant with Study Permit rules), but my employer will soon expect me to do Full Time as he/she knows that my classes will end on April 17th 2020.
  • Due to COVID-19, having a job is a boon and I would not want to lose it and at the same time not jeopardize my immigration standing and status.
  • Currently have a CRS score of 441 (that will move to 489 once I update my profile after I graduate in May 2020), and I will NOT be listing my job offer as it is NOT a VALID one (I will try to arrange the 13k+ dollars needed to show as Proof of Funds)
Assumptions/Questions:

1) I was under the assumption that one could IMMEDIATELY start working FULL TIME(April 18th 2020 in my case) as soon as classes got over (this is similar to a study break scenario in December where people can work 20+ Hours on a Study Permit), would April 18th 2020 not count as a break from studies for a person who HAS NOT applied for another course?

2) I understand that for a PGWP, you need 2 Documents (Final Transcript+ Course Completion Letter) to be uploaded on the CIC site, but now, I am going to receive the 2 Documents on DIFFERENT dates, please confirm if the below statement is correct

"Students who are graduating can work part-time between the last day of your classes and the date you get EITHER, your transcript or your completion letter. If you get one or the other you have to stop working completely until you apply for the PGWP"

In the above scenario, I may end up receiving my Final Transcripts close to 2-3 weeks BEFORE my Course Completion Certificate, am I supposed to stop working completely for these 2-3 weeks after I receive my Final Transcript OR can I continue working (part-time/full time) till I receive BOTH the documents with me (I will apply for PGWP immediately after I have the 2 Documents in my hand and move to an IMPLIED STATUS that will allow me to work 40 hours a week)

3) Has anybody had any luck asking their college to release an email/softcopy version of these 2 documents? (my assumption is that email/softcopy is always faster to send that a physical mail)

4) Can a PGWP be applied by UPLOADING JUST/ONLY 1 of the Documents (can I upload the Final Transcript that I will be receiving early and apply for PGWP?), and we can add the other document at a later date or by contacting IRCC?

This is not a very clear process and I wouldn't want to be on the wrong side of the law, so I appreciate any weigh in on this matter :)
I'll help with one question. You cannot start working full time until you have submitted the PGWP application.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hey Guys,

Job in hand/EE status:
Assumptions/Questions:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/campus-work.html#off-campus

1. Your assumption is wrong. It is not a scheduled break because you are done studying. You can only work part-time.

2. You must stop when you have written confimration of program completion. That means a transcript or a letter. You must stop working as soon as you receive one such confirmation and cannot work again until you apply for your PGWP.

3. Some people have gotten them expedited.

4. You could try but it could easily end up refused for being incomplete.

Mar 27, 2020
Had a follow-up question regarding the most recent update owing to COVID-19

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/2020/04/removing-barriers-for-international-students-working-in-essential-services-to-fight-covid-19.html

https://www.publicsafety.gc.ca/cnt/ntnl-scrt/crtcl-nfrstrctr/esf-sfe-en.aspx

I have completed my course (actual going to classes on April 17th 2020), no plans on doing the second course, work in logistics which comes under essential services and am waiting for my transcripts+course completion (this I hope to receive by May 20th 2020)

Can I do 40 hours till May 20th 2020 (BEFORE applying PGWP) on a Student Permit?

Thank you!