+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP impact - Normal circumstances not related to Covid exceptions

JRS9

Nov 20, 2021
Hi members,

Need some clarifications on PGWP impact if attending online classes. I know from cic website that currently till Aug2022 can attend online class outside Canada. I need to know the normal scenario not related to current Covid exceptions of attending online classes.

For Sep 2022 intake, planning to reach Canada on Oct2022. Which means for around 1 or 2 months am planning to attend online class outside Canada. Will this one/two month class that I am planning to take online outside Canada will have any impact in future while applying PGWP. My course is a 2 year program. For PGWP will they reduce/take into account this initial 2 months class that I am planning to attend course online outside Canada.

Thanks

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi members,

Need some clarifications on PGWP impact if attending online classes. I know from cic website that currently till Aug2022 can attend online class outside Canada. I need to know the normal scenario not related to current Covid exceptions of attending online classes.

For Sep 2022 intake, planning to reach Canada on Oct2022. Which means for around 1 or 2 months am planning to attend online class outside Canada. Will this one/two month class that I am planning to take online outside Canada will have any impact in future while applying PGWP. My course is a 2 year program. For PGWP will they reduce/take into account this initial 2 months class that I am planning to attend course online outside Canada.

Thanks
Congrats on your study permit. So you have verification that your classes already are online? That seems early. The link are the PGWP requirements.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/post-graduation-work-permit-program/permit.html

JRS9

Nov 20, 2021
Congrats on your study permit. So you have verification that your classes already are online? That seems early. The link are the PGWP requirements.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/post-graduation-work-permit-program/permit.html
Hi,

Thanks for your response.

I have not yet got my study permit. Beforehand am trying to get clarification because even if i get study permit on time but still i am planning to reach canada around October only. In that case, i need to understand if this 2 months period learning online from outside Canada will be impacting my PGWP length. Will they reduce/take into account this 2 months period?

Thanks.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi,

Thanks for your response.

I have not yet got my study permit. Beforehand am trying to get clarification because even if i get study permit on time but still i am planning to reach canada around October only. In that case, i need to understand if this 2 months period learning online from outside Canada will be impacting my PGWP length. Will they reduce/take into account this 2 months period?

Thanks.
It is in the links under Distance Learning. Your time would not count if IRCC doesn’t amend regular guidelines or extend Covid guidelines. I am trying to figure out why classes are already going to be online in September. Assume most would be in class so you wouldn’t be able to be online.

JRS9

Nov 20, 2021
It is in the links under Distance Learning. Your time would not count if IRCC doesn’t amend regular guidelines or extend Covid guidelines. I am trying to figure out why classes are already going to be online in September. Assume most would be in class so you wouldn’t be able to be online.
Hi,

Thanks for your prompt response.

Help to share your thoughts. So in that case, say being an in-class which starts Sep 1st week, but i have plan to travel only during October, so those 1 or 2 months would not count towards PGWP is it since I plan to reach Canada only during October. My program is 2 year program. While considering PGWP will IRCC consider my eligibility as 1 year 10 months or full 2 years?

Really looking forward to your reply. Depending on that only i will be deciding to apply for Sep or Jan intake.

Thanks.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi,

Thanks for your prompt response.

Help to share your thoughts. So in that case, say being an in-class which starts Sep 1st week, but i have plan to travel only during October, so those 1 or 2 months would not count towards PGWP is it since I plan to reach Canada only during October. My program is 2 year program. While considering PGWP will IRCC consider my eligibility as 1 year 10 months or full 2 years?

Really looking forward to your reply. Depending on that only i will be deciding to apply for Sep or Jan intake.

Thanks.
How can you miss 6 weeks of class...wouldn’t you fail the semester? You don’t count time outside Canada.

JRS9

Nov 20, 2021
How can you miss 6 weeks of class...wouldn’t you fail the semester? You don’t count time outside Canada.
Hi,

Thanks again for your clarification. It gives me clarity. Seems like its better for me to go for Jan intake only.

Need to check with you on one more query. In the forum, couple of threads have saw members saying they didn't get study visa on time before their classes starts, or they received approval of study permit visa after couple of weeks/months after class started, in that case also there will be impact in PGWP count? Just asking what will happen in that case so that I can plan and apply accordingly.

Thanks once again for your timely help and reply to clarify all my queries.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi,

Thanks again for your clarification. It gives me clarity. Seems like its better for me to go for Jan intake only.

Need to check with you on one more query. In the forum, couple of threads have saw members saying they didn't get study visa on time before their classes starts, or they received approval of study permit visa after couple of weeks/months after class started, in that case also there will be impact in PGWP count? Just asking what will happen in that case so that I can plan and apply accordingly.

Thanks once again for your timely help and reply to clarify all my queries.
You have to decide whether to begin a course without a study permit. With Covid rules, time towards PGWP count. You need to read through the IRCC site about studying without a permit and PGWP during “normal” times. I don’t believe it counts.

JRS9

Nov 20, 2021
You have to decide whether to begin a course without a study permit. With Covid rules, time towards PGWP count. You need to read through the IRCC site about studying without a permit and PGWP during “normal” times. I don’t believe it counts.
Ok. Thanks for your clarifications.

RamSatt

Mar 8, 2021
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
09-12-2020
Med's Done....
15-11-2020
Passport Req..
17-03-2021
VISA ISSUED...
05-03-2021
LANDED..........
19-04-2021
It depends on two points @JRS9

1. When did you submit your study permit application? As long as your documentation and application are accurate and complete, despite the (potential) delays in processing, it shouldn't take more than 6 months for you to get your study permit issued, and visa stamped in your passport. Which means you can fly out in time for your classes.

2. As @Naturgrl mentioned the only way 'studying online outside Canada' works is if the university offers online class options in Fall'22. Considering that most universities moved to in-person classes currently (Winter'22) and most provinces are in the middle of opening up in time for Spring'22, the Fall'22 semester will be in-person. So, you cann't study online in that case and missing a few weeks of classes may not be good.

JRS9

Nov 20, 2021
It depends on two points @JRS9

1. When did you submit your study permit application? As long as your documentation and application are accurate and complete, despite the (potential) delays in processing, it shouldn't take more than 6 months for you to get your study permit issued, and visa stamped in your passport. Which means you can fly out in time for your classes.

2. As @Naturgrl mentioned the only way 'studying online outside Canada' works is if the university offers online class options in Fall'22. Considering that most universities moved to in-person classes currently (Winter'22) and most provinces are in the middle of opening up in time for Spring'22, the Fall'22 semester will be in-person. So, you cann't study online in that case and missing a few weeks of classes may not be good.
1. Have not yet submitted the study permit. Before that was clarifying my doubts.

2. ok. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

JRS9

Nov 20, 2021
Hi Natugrl,

Off topic clarification required your advice. Already posted similar question in other forum but didnt get any advice. So would be helpful if you can share your knowledge on this.

I am exploring options to finalize my course and colleges to apply. As such exploring to take Project Management course from University of Calgary or Macewan University in Alberta. Its a 1 year course(3 terms). The course falls under Continuing studies/Non Credit course category.
  1. I need to know for the non credit course, am I eligible to work part-time off campus? Because from university of calgary website under section 'Can I work off capmus'(https://www.ucalgary.ca/student-services/iss/immigration/working-canada-student) its mentioned as not eligible for continuing education students. So am not sure on this.
  2. As per PGWP is concerned, it is mentioned even though non credit course, it is eligible for 1 years and if 2 non credit courses are taken then 3 years PGWP. Can share your piece of advice on this. PGWP is not related to credit or non credit course is it?
Thanks.