+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP, IEC, Extension of Work Permit. Help Pls

chris.y

Feb 1, 2017
Hello Guys,

I am new in this forum and I need some help, suggestions. Please.
Here is my background + my problem.

I have a PGWP expiring soon in March 17, 2017 after studying 3 years in a private post-secondary institution (Flight School) in B.C.
I have been working as a Flight Instructor for 1 year and 9 months which is a "NOC B"
I have my profile in Express Entry (415points), but no ITA yet.
I tried PNP International Graduate but my application was refused because my flight school is a private institution and non a public one.
Here is my problem => I was thinking of applying in May 2017 for PNP Skilled Worker which required 2 years of full-time experience.
But the problem is my PGWP will expire before, in March.

So I tried to apply for IEC (Belgium). But two times my applications were declined because I was applying within Canada.
So I am trying for a third time from right now Belgium to try to have a IEC and so one year Work Permit.
I am so scared that it will be refuse again, so I am preparing for a plan B.

I can not have a LMIO from my employer so no Work Permit.
My last thought was maybe to apply for a Student Permit for 6months in my flight school and therefore work full-time on campus and in May put a profile for PNP

Is there anything else I can do to keep working after March ?
Please I need some advices.

Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Work experience gained while studying typically cannot be counted as experience for any Canadian immigration program.

It sounds like the IEC is your only real option.

chris.y

Feb 1, 2017
scylla said:
Work experience gained while studying typically cannot be counted as experience for any Canadian immigration program.

It sounds like the IEC is your only real option.
Thanks for your reply Scylla.

I have one more question, when I was in B.C. I met a guy with a PGWP for one year from Belgium also.
He went to see a immigration consultant when his PGWP was about to expire, and he got a implied status for an extra 90days.
She was building a case for him for his EI profile and he kept working for an extra 3months before going back to Belgium.

Do you know how come he got that status ? Can I try to get that status for an extra 3 more months in case my IEC is declined ?

Thank you very much

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
chris.y said:
Thanks for your reply Scylla.

I have one more question, when I was in B.C. I met a guy with a PGWP for one year from Belgium also.
He went to see a immigration consultant when his PGWP was about to expire, and he got a implied status for an extra 90days.
She was building a case for him for his EI profile and he kept working for an extra 3months before going back to Belgium.

Do you know how come he got that status ? Can I try to get that status for an extra 3 more months in case my IEC is declined ?

Thank you very much
No - this won't work. CIC has changed their rules with regards to implied status and people who apply for an extension when they don't qualify.

CIC now rejects these applications (rather than refusing them). What this means is that you are out of status in Canada as soon as you PGWP expires and none of the work experience gained after your PGWP expires can be counted as work experience since it was gained illegally.

chris.y

Feb 1, 2017
I've just got very lucky, I just received a nomination to apply for the working holiday visa today !!!

I want to know you guys thoughts about if I should apply right now or wait a little bit in Belgium.

I am saying that because :
- The first time I applied for this visa within Canada, It got declined.
- The second time, I put my profile from Belgium, went to Canada to accept the invitation and went back to Belgium to apply the next day of my arrival. It got declined too.
Both reason were : As you are a citizen of Belgium, you are not eligible to apply to the IEC program unless actively residing in your country of citizenship at the time your application is submitted. Based on the information provided in your application, it has been determined that you do not currently reside in Belgium. As a result of this, your application, as requested, is refused.

I am in Belgium since January 23rd, am I actively residing in Belgium ? or should I wait few weeks to be sure.

Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I would wait as long as you possibly can before you apply. If the nomination is good for a few months - wait a few months.

You certainly aren't actively residing in Belgium at this point. You've just been back for a couple of week after living in Canada for several years. Ideally you should have at least four months of residency behind you in Belgium before you apply (preferably six). However I'm sure that's not going to be possible. I would be prepared for the possibility CIC may state you don't qualify because you've failed to meet the residency requirements.

Good luck. Hope it works out.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
chris.y said:
I've just got very lucky, I just received a nomination to apply for the working holiday visa today !!!

I want to know you guys thoughts about if I should apply right now or wait a little bit in Belgium.

I am saying that because :
- The first time I applied for this visa within Canada, It got declined.
- The second time, I put my profile from Belgium, went to Canada to accept the invitation and went back to Belgium to apply the next day of my arrival. It got declined too.
Both reason were : As you are a citizen of Belgium, you are not eligible to apply to the IEC program unless actively residing in your country of citizenship at the time your application is submitted. Based on the information provided in your application, it has been determined that you do not currently reside in Belgium. As a result of this, your application, as requested, is refused.

I am in Belgium since January 23rd, am I actively residing in Belgium ? or should I wait few weeks to be sure.

Thanks
If you mean you have received an inivitation to apply for the IEC then you only have 10 days from the day the email was sent by CIC to accept it or lose your place. Once you accept you then have 20 days from the day you accept it to complete the application.

chris.y

Feb 1, 2017
Thanks for your replies guys.

I will accept the ITA in 10days and send my application end of February to gain some times in Belgium. Fingers crossed !

Do you guys agreed that when my application is sent to CIC, I can go in Canada with my PGWP until March 17 and even stay longer as a visitor (will stop working) until I have a decision from CIC ?

If I received the POE, I just have to crossed the border, drive to the US, come back, show the POE and receive the work permit ?

Or you guys suggest that I apply end of February and stay in Belgium until a decision and hopefully receive a POE ?

Thank you

Chris