+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP extension refusal 2023 ( Edit this post with new details, Kindly take a look)

Gagan2112

Nov 29, 2023
Hey, ( Edited post with new details, Kindly give me a input on this )

I applied for pgwp extension for my open work permit in september which was expiring in october 2023 from India.
I got a refusal letter saying -
" I have determined that your application does not meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) and Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR).I am refusing your application on the following grounds:
• Not eligible for Open Work Permit.
Your permit has expired.
• The purpose of your visit to Canada is not consistent with a temporary stay given the details you have provided in your application.
"

I applied under this scheme which is for the people who didn't apply for the opt in extension - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/permit/post-graduation-work-permit-holders.html It is till 31 december.

Please note that my TRV was till October as my passport was till October 2023.
I have got a new passport in September from India itself.
Do I have to do anything in regards to TRV also ? Please share your inputs.

Did anybody get the refusal for same or Can guide what should I do now to extend my work permit as now I can't travel back to Canada ?

Last edited:

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hey,

I applied for pgwp extension for my open work permit in september which was expiring in october 2023 from India.
" I have determined that your application does not meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) and Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR).I am refusing your application on the following grounds:
Your permit has expired.
• The purpose of your visit to Canada is not consistent with a temporary stay given the details you have provided in your application.
"

I applied under this scheme - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/permit/post-graduation-work-permit-holders.html which is till 31 december.

Did anybody get the refusal for same or Can guide what should I do now to extend my work permit as now I can't travel back to Canada ?
Were you eligible for the extension? When did you graduate? Was this first extension?

Gagan2112

Nov 29, 2023
Were you eligible for the extension? When did you graduate? Was this first extension?
Yes, I was eligible as this scheme was for the people who didn't do the opt in extension. I graduated in 2020 may and yes this is my first extension.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Yes, I was eligible as this scheme was for the people who didn't do the opt in extension. I graduated in 2020 may and yes this is my first extension.
Hey,

Your permit has expired.
"

I applied under this scheme which is for the people who didn't apply for the opt in extension - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/permit/post-graduation-work-permit-holders.html It is till 31 december.

Only suggestion is to ask for reconsideration because I don’t know your profile or how you answered the questions in your application.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
So you applied with a soon to be expired passport? If so that is a reason for refusal. Reapply with updated passport.

Gagan2112

Nov 29, 2023
So you applied with a soon to be expired passport? If so that is a reason for refusal. Reapply with updated passport.
Hey, No. I applied with my updated passport only. What I am trying to ask is that my trv also got expired with the work permit. So do I have to do something for trv too, If yes, So its going to be before applying work permit or after ?

Kai78

Jun 29, 2023
Hi, to my knowledgePGWP is not extended once expires, unless you have applied for PR and waiting for your PR process to be completed.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hey, No. I applied with my updated passport only. What I am trying to ask is that my trv also got expired with the work permit. So do I have to do something for trv too, If yes, So its going to be before applying work permit or after ?
If you are applying for a work permit outside Canada, usually the TRV is included. However I don’t know how it works for the PGWP extension outside Canada with an expired TRV. You really should have applied for a new TRV before you left Canada. So I would apply for a TRV and PGWP, just in case.