+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP Expiring while waiting for OINP nomination

wrsousa

Mar 21, 2024
Good morning,
I would be very grateful if someone with the same experience could share their insights:

My PGWP is expiring in 3 weeks. I was invited and applied to the OINP student stream in March. Currently, the application status is "Decision in Progress," and it has been in about 135 days since the application day. I am aware that I need to have a valid status or maintained status to receive the nomination. If I apply for a Visitor Record, can I continue working until a decision is made on that application?

What other options are available to buy some time and keep working until OINP provides the nomination?

Thank you.

Miss bee

VIP Member
Mar 24, 2020
Good morning,
I would be very grateful if someone with the same experience could share their insights:

My PGWP is expiring in 3 weeks. I was invited and applied to the OINP student stream in March. Currently, the application status is "Decision in Progress," and it has been in about 135 days since the application day. I am aware that I need to have a valid status or maintained status to receive the nomination. If I apply for a Visitor Record, can I continue working until a decision is made on that application?

What other options are available to buy some time and keep working until OINP provides the nomination?

Thank you.
If you apply for visitor status, you should stop working. Once you get Nomination, you can apply for closed work permit or BOWP after you receive AOR.

Reactions: scylla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Good morning,

Thank you.
You cannot work on a visitor record.

Convert your status to visitor record if you don't get the nomination in time and stop working.

Once you get the nomination, you can then apply for a work permit again.

wrsousa

Mar 21, 2024
You cannot work on a visitor record.

Convert your status to visitor record if you don't get the nomination in time and stop working.

Once you get the nomination, you can then apply for a work permit again.
I understand that, but while I'm waiting for the Visitor Record to be approved, witch is my status?I Maintained my current Work Permit or not?

on the website stats this:

If your status expires
If you apply to extend your stay in Canada before the date you’re supposed to leave, you can legally stay in Canada until a decision is made on your application. In this situation, you have maintained your status.

Miss bee

VIP Member
Mar 24, 2020
I understand that, but while I'm waiting for the Visitor Record to be approved, witch is my status?I Maintained my current Work Permit or not?

If your status expires
If you apply to extend your stay in Canada before the date you’re supposed to leave, you can legally stay in Canada until a decision is made on your application. In this situation, you have maintained your status.
Only if you are applying for same work permit or visa . You are converting work permit status to visitor.

Reactions: wrsousa

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

If your status expires
You will have maintained status as a visitor only. You will have to stop working as soon as your work permit expires.

Alalac

Oct 2, 2021

If your status expires
You must inform the Provincial nominee of the change in your status and that you stopped working, otherwise that would fall under misrepresentation and concealing information