+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP expiring January 17, 2023. Passport expiring May 2023. CRS score 493. What to do?

J_wong7

Aug 27, 2016
I'm super stressed out about this whole situation I'm in.

My PGWP expires January 17, 2023
My Passport expires May 2023
My CRS score is currently 493

I'm hoping I would get an ITA this month. If I do get it, is there any way for me to continue working?

If I get an ITA this month, can I apply for a Bridging Open Work Permit in time before my PGWP expires? Or am I not eligible for an BOWP?

Any suggestions? Or should I just go find an immigration lawyer. Money is tight right now, and honestly I might not even be able to afford it.

SatNight

Dec 2, 2017
You can apply for BOWP as soon as you submit your PR application. Not after you get ITA, but after you submit the application.

Were you in the poll when the glitch happened last time and were not invited despite of your points?

Reactions: klubsoda

J_wong7

Aug 27, 2016
You can apply for BOWP as soon as you submit your PR application. Not after you get ITA, but after you submit the application.
Do I need the ITA to apply for PR?

Were you in the poll when the glitch happened last time and were not invited despite of your points?
I'm not sure what happened. My score was originally 485, but it got bumped up to 493 and I updated my NOC info today. So that probably played a role.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Do I need the ITA to apply for PR?

I'm not sure what happened. My score was originally 485, but it got bumped up to 493 and I updated my NOC info today. So that probably played a role.
Yes, you need ITA to apply for PR. As soon as you get ITA and then apply for PR, you can submit the BOWP (as long as your PGWP is still valid).

gottagetthatpr

Star Member
Dec 14, 2022
I'm super stressed out about this whole situation I'm in.

My PGWP expires January 17, 2023
My Passport expires May 2023
My CRS score is currently 493

I'm hoping I would get an ITA this month. If I do get it, is there any way for me to continue working?

If I get an ITA this month, can I apply for a Bridging Open Work Permit in time before my PGWP expires? Or am I not eligible for an BOWP?

Any suggestions? Or should I just go find an immigration lawyer. Money is tight right now, and honestly I might not even be able to afford it.
------------------------------------------------------------------
491 was the last score that was called last time (23 November 2023). why didn't you get ITA?
Anyways if you still haven't got ITA yet then it's a problem. Best that there's apply BOWP as soon as you get AOR.
Create the application for BOWP and get ready to submit everything else other than AOR.
Once you get the AOR, submit the application and soon after that apply for a new passport, I don't know how fast you would get that which purely depends on the country.
Once you get your passport, raise a web form for your passport change.

J_wong7

Aug 27, 2016
I am not sure ab
Even my expires on Jan 20th. Dont see much options. What have you decided ?
I'm considering applying for a closed work permit to put me under maintained status to continue working. If I get my ITA as a maintained status worker, can I apply for the BOWP as well or is that out of the question?

My employer wants to support me, but has no clue about any of this immigration stuff. My job is technically in pharmacy marketing, but COVID has made me pick up the slack for other coworkers as a pharmacy technician and has made the whole team try to fill each others shoes trying to stay afloat.

tokyotsui

Star Member
Nov 26, 2021
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
24-11-2022
AOR Received.
24-11-2022
Passport Req..
27-04-2023
I am not sure ab

I'm considering applying for a closed work permit to put me under maintained status to continue working. If I get my ITA as a maintained status worker, can I apply for the BOWP as well or is that out of the question?

My employer wants to support me, but has no clue about any of this immigration stuff. My job is technically in pharmacy marketing, but COVID has made me pick up the slack for other coworkers as a pharmacy technician and has made the whole team try to fill each others shoes trying to stay afloat.
Technically you can apply for BOWP when you're in maintained status because that will comply with r186(u)

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/provincial-nominees-permanent-resident-applicants/bridging-open-work-permits.html#toc1

However it's risky because you are submitting an application knowing it will be refused. I am not a legal expert it totally depends on the officer.

Given your tight timeframe, the best scenario is you can submit the new WP application and work under maintained status. BEFORE they assess this application you got ITA then AOR then you need to immediately submit the BOWP application and raise a webform to withdraw the previous one, citing that you got AOR etc. They will cancel the previous one for you.

Good luck. Again I am not a legal expert the above are my opinions only.