KCANIM

May 29, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Bangalore
App. Filed.......
25-04-2017
Hi,

My PGWP is expiring this August 2021 as it was given until my passport validity (I still have approx 1.5 years left out of 3 years).
However, I submitted my PR application recently with a new passport (I am the primary applicant/no dependents).

What are my options for extending my PGWP? I plan to travel later this year once I receive my Work Permit and Travel Visa (to apply based on my WP)

1) Should I apply for PGWP or BOWP?

Any leads/help is highly appreciated!

Thanks.

Miss bee

VIP Member
Mar 24, 2020
Hi,

My PGWP is expiring this August 2021 as it was given until my passport validity (I still have approx 1.5 years left out of 3 years).
However, I submitted my PR application recently with a new passport (I am the primary applicant/no dependents).

What are my options for extending my PGWP? I plan to travel later this year once I receive my Work Permit and Travel Visa (to apply based on my WP)

1) Should I apply for PGWP or BOWP?

Any leads/help is highly appreciated!

Thanks.
You can submit application for renewal permit f your post graduation work permit under new policy. It will give you 18 months work permit but if you apply for BOWP it’s only good for 1 year.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/students/pgwp-extend.html

Reactions: KCANIM

huxing0522

Dec 14, 2019
Halifax
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Vancouver
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
08-03-2021
Med's Done....
23-03-2021
LANDED..........
16-08-2021
Currently PGWP approved very fast,but BOWP approved very slow.

KCANIM

May 29, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Bangalore
App. Filed.......
25-04-2017
Apply for the PGWP extension under the public policy. My application was approved today and I submitted it on Apr 23, 2021. It's very quick.
Okay, thanks. So did you also submit your application for PR recently before you applied for a PGWP extension under the public policy? Do we have to mention that we've applied for PR as well?

KCANIM

May 29, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Bangalore
App. Filed.......
25-04-2017
You can submit application for renewal permit f your post graduation work permit under new policy. It will give you 18 months work permit but if you apply for BOWP it’s only good for 1 year.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/students/pgwp-extend.html
I see, okay. Basically, I can apply for the PGWP extension under the public policy although I have applied for PR, right? I hope this will not create issues as in the AOR it says to apply for a BOWP if the work permit is set to expire.

Miss bee

VIP Member
Mar 24, 2020
I see, okay. Basically, I can apply for the PGWP extension under the public policy although I have applied for PR, right? I hope this will not create issues as in the AOR it says to apply for a BOWP if the work permit is set to expire.
Yes that’s totally different thing than pr application. You have to fill forms for work permit extension and then write letter of explanation that you are applying under new policy. Letter format is mentioned here.

Subject: Letter of Explanation — Optional Documentation.
Attached: (1) old Post Graduation Work Permit
Dear Officer,
I am writing you this letter to inform that I am applying for the open work permit under the Public Policy Facilitating the Issuance of an Open Work Permit to Former or Current Post- Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) Holders.
I have applied for the Bridging Open Work Permit (BOWP) on May xx, 2020, which is going to expire on May xx, 2021, and my Permanent Residence application under Canadian Experience Class (CEC) is still under processing. To continue my stay with the fulltime job at (employer name). I got to know through an IRCC agent and from website that I'm eligible to apply for PGWP under new public policy as my previous PGWP expired on July ××, 2020.
I have also attached my old PGWP copy to this letter for confirmation and I am of course at your disposal to provide you with any additional documents that you deem useful for the processing of my open work permit under public policy.
Thank you in advance for the time devoted towards the processing of my application.

FrustratedPRApplicant

Star Member
Apr 3, 2021
Okay, thanks. So did you also submit your application for PR recently before you applied for a PGWP extension under the public policy? Do we have to mention that we've applied for PR as well?
Yes, I do have a PR application being processed at the moment. I mentioned it in the form that we have to fill out. In there, if you recall, there is a question that asks about what other times have we applied to stay in Canada. Additionally, I mentioned it in the LEO as well. It won't create an issue. They simply added another option for us due to COVID-19 delays. So now we can choose either to get the BOWP or Extension PGWP.

KCANIM

May 29, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Bangalore
App. Filed.......
25-04-2017
Yes that’s totally different thing than pr application. You have to fill forms for work permit extension and then write letter of explanation that you are applying under new policy. Letter format is mentioned here.

Subject: Letter of Explanation — Optional Documentation.
Attached: (1) old Post Graduation Work Permit
Dear Officer,
I am writing you this letter to inform that I am applying for the open work permit under the Public Policy Facilitating the Issuance of an Open Work Permit to Former or Current Post- Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) Holders.
I have applied for the Bridging Open Work Permit (BOWP) on May xx, 2020, which is going to expire on May xx, 2021, and my Permanent Residence application under Canadian Experience Class (CEC) is still under processing. To continue my stay with the fulltime job at (employer name). I got to know through an IRCC agent and from website that I'm eligible to apply for PGWP under new public policy as my previous PGWP expired on July ××, 2020.
I have also attached my old PGWP copy to this letter for confirmation and I am of course at your disposal to provide you with any additional documents that you deem useful for the processing of my open work permit under public policy.
Thank you in advance for the time devoted towards the processing of my application.
Thanks very much for the detailed steps. Appreciate it.
I just spoke to an IRCC agent a while ago, they mentioned that I am not eligible to apply under the public policy as I wasn't issued a complete/full-length PGWP and asked me to apply either under 1) PGWP extension by mail or 2) BOWP. I guess I do not have a choice here to apply under the new public policy.
I am thinking applying under PGWP extension by mail might be faster considering the wait times for PR applications. What do you say?

KCANIM

May 29, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Bangalore
App. Filed.......
25-04-2017
Yes, I do have a PR application being processed at the moment. I mentioned it in the form that we have to fill out. In there, if you recall, there is a question that asks about what other times have we applied to stay in Canada. Additionally, I mentioned it in the LEO as well. It won't create an issue. They simply added another option for us due to COVID-19 delays. So now we can choose either to get the BOWP or Extension PGWP.
Right. Thanks for the explanation. Were you issued a full PGWP before? Cause I spoke to an agent and they suggested the public policy will apply to individuals to whom the PGWP was issued before for the complete period. They asked me to apply for either a PGWP extension or BOWP. Still contemplating what to do here.