+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP expiring and no hope for PR

wjkong23

Jul 25, 2024
Hi everyone,

Like many international students/immigrants, I'm going through a pretty stressful moment but trying my best to stay positive and find solutions.

My PGWP expires on August 9th, 2024 and my CRS score is 499. I'm South Korean and not working at the moment btw. It seems like there is no hope to get an ITA for my EE application so I've turned my eyes on the Working Holiday Visa.

I've received the invitation for WHV and have submitted documents on June 7th, 2024.

As of today, it's been almost 7 weeks, which has exceeded the IRCC's processing time of 6 weeks. There's no guarantee that I will find out about the result before my PGWP expires. I believe I will be given a maintained status should the processing time goes beyond my PGWP expiry date, but in case I don't get the Working Holiday visa, I am afraid I will lose the legal status to stay in Canada. Furthermore, as far as I know, I can't apply for a Visitor Record if my current permit expires. Because I want to stay in Canada at least till later this year to sort out a couple of things, I am considering to apply for a Visitor Record before my PGWP expires.

Will applying for a Visitor Record cause any issue given that my Working Holiday Visa is currently being processed?

Last edited:

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi everyone,

Like many international students/immigrants, I'm going through a pretty stressful moment but trying my best to stay positive and find solutions.

My PGWP expires on August 9th, 2024 and my CRS score is 499. I'm not working at the moment btw. It seems like there is no hope to get an ITA for my EE application so I applied for a Working Holiday Visa under IEC on June 7th, 2024. Working Holiday was something suggested by an immigration consultant and sounded like a great option.

As of today, it's been almost 7 weeks, which has exceeded the IRCC's processing time of 6 weeks. There's no guarantee that I will find out about the result before my PGWP expires. I believe I will be given a maintained status should the processing time goes beyond my PGWP expiry date, but in case I don't get the Working Holiday visa, I am afraid I will lose the legal status to stay in Canada. Furthermore, as far as I know, I can't apply for a Visitor Record if my current permit expires. Because I want to stay in Canada at least till later this year to sort out a couple of things, I am considering to apply for a Visitor Record before my PGWP expires.

Will applying for a Visitor Record cause any issue given that my Working Holiday Visa is currently being processed?
What country? So you have gotten the invitation for IEC WHV, and applied or are waiting for selection?