+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP expires in 4 months,got a new job,extend existing WP or apply for new one?

pooky

Star Member
Jan 25, 2011
I know you need to get LMO if you are applying for PGWP xtension.
I just got a call for a new job, and I really don't want to lose this job because of my visa status.
My friend worked at CIBC and he lost his job because CIBC doesn't want to cooperate with getting LMO.
Please advise what should I do, can I just apply for a new work permit with the job offer?
Thank you!

Pouce

Star Member
Apr 17, 2011
BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Seattle
NOC Code......
science
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-May-2010
AOR Received.
03-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
03-Mar-2011
Med's Request
21-Sep-2011
Med's Done....
16-NOv-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
09-July-2012
VISA ISSUED...
02-Aug-2012
LANDED..........
12-Aug-2012
is your PGWP 3 years? u can extend up to 3 years. if not, you have to get LMO.

ae03yy

Oct 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Seattl
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
Oct 18, 2011
if like me you received a pgwp nearly 3yrs ago and that permit is about to expire u'll need LMO to work afterwards.
If you have a new job opportunity awaiting... and your current one does not seem to move ahead to allow you to stay legally. First, pray for God direction and favour on your life. I myself truly truly believe He is interested in what you are facing and want to have the opportunity to tell you so.
Second, despite the situation my best advice is that you talk with your employer and try to convince how easy he'll be getting LMO. We both know there's 3 conditions for your employer to be successful, but he doesn't know them and most certainly doesn't want to be refused. It is your job to attempt to convince him otherwise.
Third, he might say no but don't give up my emplooyer said no and at the last minute changed his mind when he realised my value... so don't take his no literally. Most employers have had negative experiences before and thus are scared so prove him wrong.
4) meanwhile you mentioned about another job opening for you... call your prospective company and tell them you want to switch but also wanna be frank with them. Tell them you can work immediately, but that in 4months you'll also need an LMO from them to continue. Give them what they have to do and tell them you're willing to guide them through this if necessary.

pooky

Star Member
Jan 25, 2011
My current work sucks very much, the boss doesn't treat people as "people". I got into this job primarily for immigration purpose.
I got a call from a potential employer today says bring my SI number/bank info tomorrow and get me started.
So I don't have a lot of time to get LMO with my existing employer. Can't I apply for a new work permit with a written job offer?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Pooky, is your PGWP still valid? Until when? You can change jobs under the PGWP, but your (new) employer will have to apply for an LMO for you to get a new work permit BEFORE your PGWP expires...

pooky

Star Member
Jan 25, 2011
jes_ON said:
Pooky, is your PGWP still valid? Until when? You can change jobs under the PGWP, but your (new) employer will have to apply for an LMO for you to get a new work permit BEFORE your PGWP expires...
Yes my PGWP is still valid until Oct 14th, so a little more than 4 months.
I got the job offer today, one slight issue, it shows my English name rather than my name appears on my passport, I go by my English name at work, is this going to be a problem when my employer applies for LMO?
I should ask my employer to apply for LMO right now correct? What does the employer need other than the application and CIA number?
Thank you.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/workplaceskills/foreign_workers/fwp_forms.shtml

Your application would fall under the "High Skilled Application" stream (bottom of page).

But be sure to click on the link at the top to read the new program requirements.

Don't think the name matters that much on the job offer (you should clarify this with your employer, tho), but be sure your legal name is used on the LMO application and the Work Permit application. It is easy to explain that you go by an English name that is different from your legal name.

As for the timing of your LMO application - I'm not sure what to advise, other than, as long as you get your LMO application in, and then submit your WP application within the last 2 weeks before the old one expires, you'll be OK (on implied status, but with the restrictions of implied status).

Pouce

Star Member
Apr 17, 2011
BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Seattle
NOC Code......
science
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-May-2010
AOR Received.
03-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
03-Mar-2011
Med's Request
21-Sep-2011
Med's Done....
16-NOv-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
09-July-2012
VISA ISSUED...
02-Aug-2012
LANDED..........
12-Aug-2012
there is not a problem about your name. your boss have to fill up the application form. if npossible you can add cover letter as well. in a work contract, put some details about your job description what you are exactly doing, salary, hours....etc. it will take a month or so to get LMO. eariler you apply the better. good luck.