+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP - Exchange Semester

kritik

Apr 29, 2018
Hello everyone,

I've been a silent lurker on this forum for a while now, and it's been super helpful to me. But there's a question I had which I couldn't find an answer to, so I figured I'd make a profile and ask.

I've just completed a 4 semester (16 month) Master's program in Ontario, and am now going to apply for my PGWP. I have my notice of degree completion from my school already.

However, my final semester was an exchange semester that I completed abroad (as a part of my program). I know that this is not a problem in itself as long as I earn a Canadian credential. But because different countries have different systems in terms of when the semester starts, there is a one month gap between the end of my 3rd semester (completed in Canada) and the beginning of the 4th semester (completed abroad). I of course maintained full-time status the whole time, and my letter of completion specifically says that I did. I'm just concerned that CIC will notice that one month gap based on my passport stamps and think that I took an unscheduled break.

tl;dr: I have a one month gap in my Master's program due to an overseas exchange term which started later than a Canadian term would, and I'm concerned that the gap could result in a PGWP refusal.

Has anyone been in a similar situation? Even if not, please do let me know if you have any insight.

Kriti

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I can't imagine that's going to be a problem You should have no issues getting your PGWP.

nannuyps13

Jul 11, 2017
Hi Kritik, I want to go on an exchange as well. My school is offering an exchange in the summer for a month. It is not compulsory but I really want to go, would it be a problem while applying for PGWP. I'll be full time while on exchange.