+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP and LMO

harsh44

Aug 9, 2013
Hello all,

So, I have applied for BC PNP in the skilled worker category and as my permit is expiring on 31st Aug 2014, I thought it would be better to also apply for work-permit (and for that I will have to apply for LMO), currently I am on my PGWP and was hired on my PGWP and I know that employer doesn't have to show the process of advertisement when hired on PGWP.

I would like to know, is this the right page to follow for the same? copy-pasting as I am not allowed to paste the link

Description
Citizenship and Immigration Canada's (CIC) Post-graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP) provides Canadian work experience to eligible foreign students graduating from a participating Canadian post-secondary institution. These recent graduates can work for up to 3 years under the PGWPP without the employer having to apply for a labour market opinion (LMO) from Employment and Skills Development Canada (ESDC)/Service Canada.

Employers, who want to permanently employ these graduates following the completion of the PGWPP, must ensure that the:

LMO applications are submitted to ESDC/Service Canada approximately 4 months before the expiry date of the post-graduation work permit;
positions offered to the graduates are for higher-skilled occupations classified as management, professional or technical (National Occupational Classification (NOC) skill type 0, or skill level A or B).
Note:
An offer of permanent employment can be made to a former PGWPP participant by any employer.
Lower-skilled positions such as general labourer or helper (NOC skill levels C or D) are not part of this process. Employers hiring former PGWPP participants in these positions must apply under the Stream for Lower-skilled Occupations.
Requirements
Employers must meet all the requirements for the Stream for Higher-skilled Occupations except where variations to the requirements apply.

Wages, Working Conditions and Occupations
Employers hiring foreign workers (TFW), including international students graduating from recognized post-secondary institutions in Canada must:

comply with the prevailing wage set by Employment and Skills Development Canada (ESDC)/Service Canada;
be prepared to provide documentation that clearly demonstrates the wage being paid to the foreign workers.
To meet the prevailing wage requirement when applying for an LMO, employers must refer to the median wage posted on Working in Canada (WiC) website.

Advertisement
Employers hiring former PGWPP participants in higher-skilled occupations are not required to conduct recruitment or advertisement efforts, provided, the LMO is received by the appropriate Service Canada Centre within 90 days of the expiration of the post-graduate work permit.

In instances where the post-graduate work permit has expired, and over 90 days have elapsed from the date Service Canada receives the application, employers will be required to demonstrate recruitment efforts as per the normal requirements for higher-skilled occupations.

How to Apply
Employers must follow all the necessary steps when applying for an LMO and submit the application, along with all the required supporting documentation, to ESDC/Service Canada.

Provincial variations to the application process

If the job is located in the province of:

Nova Scotia – Employers must:
use the services of licensed recruiters (if using a recruiter);
obtain an Employer Registration Certificate from the province's Labour Standards
Quebec - Employers must follow the procedures established for hiring Temporary Foreign Workers (TFW) in this province.
Saskatchewan – Employers must:
use the services of a licensed recruiter (if using a recruiter);
register with the Ministry of the Economy – Immigration Services
Step-by-step – Checklist
Employers must follow the step-by-step checklist to ensure that all the documents required are submitted, otherwise there will be delays in processing the application.

Complete, sign (where applicable) and submit the following documents:

LMO Application Form (EMP5517).
Note:
In the "Purpose of Application" section, on the LMO application form, employers must select one of the programs under Option B.

B) To support BOTH a work permit application and the permanent resident visa application of a skilled:
worker's application to immigrate under the Federal Skilled Worker Program (not applicable in Quebec)
trade worker's application to immigrate, in one of the eligible occupations, under the Federal Skilled Trades Program (not applicable in Quebec)
Schedule A - Appointment of a Third Party Representative (EMP5575) (if applicable).
Schedule B - Impact on the Canadian Labour Market (EMP5578) (if applicable).
Send all documentation:

By Mail or Fax:
To the appropriate Service Canada Centre responsible for processing LMO applications in the region or area where the TFW will be employed.

For Assistance – Phone:
The appropriate Service Canada Centre responsible for processing LMO applications in the region or area where the TFW will be employed.

Any other advice or suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks and regards

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

harsh44 said:
Hello all,

So, I have applied for BC PNP in the skilled worker category and as my permit is expiring on 31st Aug 2014, I thought it would be better to also apply for work-permit (and for that I will have to apply for LMO), currently I am on my PGWP and was hired on my PGWP and I know that employer doesn't have to show the process of advertisement when hired on PGWP.

I would like to know, is this the right page to follow for the same? copy-pasting as I am not allowed to paste the link

Description
Citizenship and Immigration Canada's (CIC) Post-graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP) provides Canadian work experience to eligible foreign students graduating from a participating Canadian post-secondary institution. These recent graduates can work for up to 3 years under the PGWPP without the employer having to apply for a labour market opinion (LMO) from Employment and Skills Development Canada (ESDC)/Service Canada.

Employers, who want to permanently employ these graduates following the completion of the PGWPP, must ensure that the:

LMO applications are submitted to ESDC/Service Canada approximately 4 months before the expiry date of the post-graduation work permit;
positions offered to the graduates are for higher-skilled occupations classified as management, professional or technical (National Occupational Classification (NOC) skill type 0, or skill level A or B).
Note:
An offer of permanent employment can be made to a former PGWPP participant by any employer.
Lower-skilled positions such as general labourer or helper (NOC skill levels C or D) are not part of this process. Employers hiring former PGWPP participants in these positions must apply under the Stream for Lower-skilled Occupations.
Requirements
Employers must meet all the requirements for the Stream for Higher-skilled Occupations except where variations to the requirements apply.

Wages, Working Conditions and Occupations
Employers hiring foreign workers (TFW), including international students graduating from recognized post-secondary institutions in Canada must:

comply with the prevailing wage set by Employment and Skills Development Canada (ESDC)/Service Canada;
be prepared to provide documentation that clearly demonstrates the wage being paid to the foreign workers.
To meet the prevailing wage requirement when applying for an LMO, employers must refer to the median wage posted on Working in Canada (WiC) website.

Advertisement
Employers hiring former PGWPP participants in higher-skilled occupations are not required to conduct recruitment or advertisement efforts, provided, the LMO is received by the appropriate Service Canada Centre within 90 days of the expiration of the post-graduate work permit.

In instances where the post-graduate work permit has expired, and over 90 days have elapsed from the date Service Canada receives the application, employers will be required to demonstrate recruitment efforts as per the normal requirements for higher-skilled occupations.

How to Apply
Employers must follow all the necessary steps when applying for an LMO and submit the application, along with all the required supporting documentation, to ESDC/Service Canada.

Provincial variations to the application process

If the job is located in the province of:

Nova Scotia – Employers must:
use the services of licensed recruiters (if using a recruiter);
obtain an Employer Registration Certificate from the province's Labour Standards
Quebec - Employers must follow the procedures established for hiring Temporary Foreign Workers (TFW) in this province.
Saskatchewan – Employers must:
use the services of a licensed recruiter (if using a recruiter);
register with the Ministry of the Economy – Immigration Services
Step-by-step – Checklist
Employers must follow the step-by-step checklist to ensure that all the documents required are submitted, otherwise there will be delays in processing the application.

Complete, sign (where applicable) and submit the following documents:

LMO Application Form (EMP5517).
Note:
In the "Purpose of Application" section, on the LMO application form, employers must select one of the programs under Option B.

B) To support BOTH a work permit application and the permanent resident visa application of a skilled:
worker's application to immigrate under the Federal Skilled Worker Program (not applicable in Quebec)
trade worker's application to immigrate, in one of the eligible occupations, under the Federal Skilled Trades Program (not applicable in Quebec)
Schedule A - Appointment of a Third Party Representative (EMP5575) (if applicable).
Schedule B - Impact on the Canadian Labour Market (EMP5578) (if applicable).
Send all documentation:

By Mail or Fax:
To the appropriate Service Canada Centre responsible for processing LMO applications in the region or area where the TFW will be employed.

For Assistance – Phone:
The appropriate Service Canada Centre responsible for processing LMO applications in the region or area where the TFW will be employed.

Any other advice or suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks and regards

If still waiting for nomination, option B is good to go. If nominated, get a 'work permit support letter' from BC PNP.