+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP and LMIA

srj_997

Jun 18, 2024
i am currently working full-time on my PGWP and have already completed 1 years plus of Canadian experience. My question is if I have a job offer supported by LMIA, how long can i claim that extra 50 points in express entry since LMIA is valid only for 6 months. And also is it compulsory to file for closed work permit after positive LMIA of just PGWP also works to claim points?

Lord_Tony

Mar 7, 2023
Toronto
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
25-03-2023
AOR Received.
07-05-2023
Med's Done....
15-05-2023
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2023
i am currently working full-time on my PGWP and have already completed 1 years plus of Canadian experience. My question is if I have a job offer supported by LMIA, how long can i claim that extra 50 points in express entry since LMIA is valid only for 6 months.
Yes, you can claim the 50 points only for the 6 Months the LMIA is valid, Also assuming you get ITA and apply within these 6 months if your application processing duration goes beyond that 6 months from the LMIA approval date IRCC might reject your application.

And also is it compulsory to file for closed work permit after positive LMIA of just PGWP also works to claim points?
It is not compulsory however as mentioned earlier your ITA, application submission, and finally, your application processing duration might be beyond that 6 months from the LMIA approval date. Since you will live with the scare that IRCC might reject your application.

Your employer has a limited time window from the approval date to get a closed WP within this 6 months when LMIA is valid. Hence employers would push for you to move immediately. No law says you must be on a closed WP for the PR. However, it would sound better and neat on the application if you are on a closed WP. If you are not on a closed WP you might not receive an inquiry from the PR case processing officer or chances of the PR processing being delayed by the case IRCC analyst, who might put a comment saying the applicant is on an open WP and claims 50 points, thus the case might wait a longer time for the officer to take a decision etc.. also

Overall the best bet is to apply for a closed WP