+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pgwp 18 months extension refusal letter

sahil778877

Jan 12, 2021
I applied for extension for 18 months extension in feb. My work permit is expiring in August 2021. As per eligibility i am eligible for 18 months extension due to covid we are getting as i am between Jan 2020 to November 2021.
But i got my ITA on jan 06 2021. And applied for express entry on jan 27 will that affect my eligibility for 18 months extension?
Is that the reason they refused it or i have to call them or maybe i did any mistake in filling application.
Please help.!!!
Its 355 CAD.

sahil778877

Jan 12, 2021
You have failed to meet the eligibility requirements for a bridging open Work Permit because you do not have a valid work permit that is due to expire within the next 4 months as your current work permit is valid for more than 4 months.

Which i know but i didn't applied for bridgimg permit i applied for 18 month open work permit extension.

sahil778877

Jan 12, 2021
Noo. You didn't get the point. So bridging permit is a different thing and 18 months extension which we all are getting is different. I applied for 18 months extension for which i am eligible but they rejected me under bridging work permit reason

PAINKILLER28

Jan 24, 2018
Looks like they confused your public policy work permit application for a BOWP. Sadly there is pretty much nothing you can do. You can try to contact IRCC via webform and ask them to reconsider. But I don't see a big chance of overturning the decision.

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
I applied for extension for 18 months extension in feb. My work permit is expiring in August 2021. As per eligibility i am eligible for 18 months extension due to covid we are getting as i am between Jan 2020 to November 2021.
But i got my ITA on jan 06 2021. And applied for express entry on jan 27 will that affect my eligibility for 18 months extension?
Is that the reason they refused it or i have to call them or maybe i did any mistake in filling application.
Please help.!!!
Its 355 CAD.
Why did you even want to apply for it in the first place? You have over 5 months left on your current visa, and submitted your PR application over 2 months ago. There is a decent chance your application will be fully processed before it expires. If not, you would have been able to apply for a BOWP.

You could have potentially saved yourself some money.

If you look at the requirements for this extension:

To be eligible for this open work permit, you must meet the following 5 requirements:

1. Your post-graduation work permit (PGWP)
    1. expired on or after January 30, 2020, or
    2. will expire within 4 months from the date you apply for this open work permit.
  2. You were in Canada as of January 27, 2021, when the public policy took effect, and have stayed in Canada since then.
  3. You either
    1. have temporary resident status (this could be from having a valid PGWP, visitor record, or another permit that allows you to stay in Canada), or
    2. lost your temporary resident status, but you’ve already applied to restore it, or
    3. lost your temporary resident status, but you’ll apply to restore it at the same time as you apply for this open work permit
  4. You include in your application that you’re applying for an open work permit under this public policy.
  5. You have a valid passport.
    1. The work permit will be issued for up to 18 months from the date of approval or until your passport expires, whichever comes first. For example, if your passport is valid for 6 months, then you will be issued an open work permit for 6 months.
    2. To maximize the duration of the open work permit, make sure your passport is valid for at least 18 months from the date of approval.

-------------

If you look at #4, you didn't meet this requirement, why simply because you failed to mention it. Whose fault is it? 100% yours.
Nothing you can do about it.

Now you'll have to waste even more money for not having read these 5 points beforehand.

Good luck.

Looks like they confused your public policy work permit application for a BOWP. Sadly there is pretty much nothing you can do. You can try to contact IRCC via webform and ask them to reconsider. But I don't see a big chance of overturning the decision.
No they didn't. He was required to explicitly mention this when applying and he didn't. It's his screw up and his only option is to reapply.

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Please help.!!!
Its 355 CAD.
You applied too early. You need to wait until your work permit is within 4 months of expiring. This applies to both the BOWP as well as the PGWP public policy extension.

PAINKILLER28

Jan 24, 2018
Why did you even want to apply for it in the first place? You have over 5 months left on your current visa, and submitted your PR application over 2 months ago. There is a decent chance your application will be fully processed before it expires. If not, you would have been able to apply for a BOWP.

You could have potentially saved yourself some money.

If you look at the requirements for this extension:

To be eligible for this open work permit, you must meet the following 5 requirements:

1. Your post-graduation work permit (PGWP)
    1. expired on or after January 30, 2020, or
    2. will expire within 4 months from the date you apply for this open work permit.
  2. You were in Canada as of January 27, 2021, when the public policy took effect, and have stayed in Canada since then.
  3. You either
    1. have temporary resident status (this could be from having a valid PGWP, visitor record, or another permit that allows you to stay in Canada), or
    2. lost your temporary resident status, but you’ve already applied to restore it, or
    3. lost your temporary resident status, but you’ll apply to restore it at the same time as you apply for this open work permit
  4. You include in your application that you’re applying for an open work permit under this public policy.
  5. You have a valid passport.
    1. The work permit will be issued for up to 18 months from the date of approval or until your passport expires, whichever comes first. For example, if your passport is valid for 6 months, then you will be issued an open work permit for 6 months.
    2. To maximize the duration of the open work permit, make sure your passport is valid for at least 18 months from the date of approval.

-------------

If you look at #4, you didn't meet this requirement, why simply because you failed to mention it. Whose fault is it? 100% yours.
Nothing you can do about it.

Now you'll have to waste even more money for not having read these 5 points beforehand.

Good luck.

No they didn't. He was required to explicitly mention this when applying and he didn't. It's his screw up and his only option is to reapply.
Let me see how can I put this, oh right, I was being nice or I tried... Obviously, 355 dollars means something to this applicant, so I did not say it was his or her own fault entirely when it is the fact ... Wish I had the guts to be frank and tell the truth like it is.

Reactions: mstefan and dgeorge

brs.123

Star Member
Jul 31, 2019
what if I was not in country on Jan 27th. I was on vacation came back in Feb. Can I still apply under this category? WP expiring in Sep 2021.

Rojaj16

Star Member
Jul 30, 2017
Please help.!!!
Its 355 CAD.
Why did you paid$355 ? Isn’t $255?

MsAniger

Dec 15, 2020
Please help.!!!
Its 355 CAD.
Any luck with your application?