+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGDM (MBA) to DBA, chances of approval for student visa?

sunshine23

Jul 21, 2019
Hello all,

I presently have the following:
1. Bachelors Degree
2. Post-graduate Diploma in Management (equivalent to MBA) from a reputed school in India
3. Work experience post PGDM: 1 year
I am considering doing Diploma in Business Administration course at University of Victoria which is a one-year course. The pre-requisite to the program is graduate or mid-career professionals. Reason for doing it will be to gain international exposure and gain Canadian experience because I want to apply for PR via express entry later. I am afraid the visa will be refused based on previous qualifications and experience because it might look like a step down. What can be done?

HenryVo

Jun 2, 2019
Hello all,

I presently have the following:
1. Bachelors Degree
2. Post-graduate Diploma in Management (equivalent to MBA) from a reputed school in India
3. Work experience post PGDM: 1 year
I am considering doing Diploma in Business Administration course at University of Victoria which is a one-year course. The pre-requisite to the program is graduate or mid-career professionals. Reason for doing it will be to gain international exposure and gain Canadian experience because I want to apply for PR via express entry later. I am afraid the visa will be refused based on previous qualifications and experience because it might look like a step down. What can be done?
You already have a PG diploma. Getting another one does not make sense. I recommend that you pursue a Masters degree.
I don't know about India, but in Canada, diploma is worth much less than a degree. Getting a Masters will be much more beneficial all around.

sunshine23

Jul 21, 2019
You already have a PG diploma. Getting another one does not make sense. I recommend that you pursue a Masters degree.
I don't know about India, but in Canada, diploma is worth much less than a degree. Getting a Masters will be much more beneficial all around.
I have thought through that, hence the question. The PG diploma I did in India was of 2 years and is recognized as a 1 year Canadian equivalent as per WES. I do not want to spend another 40000$ on a masters as I already have one. I was planning on doing this course just to gain international exposure which will help me bring a global angle to my CV for further jobs. Even if things dont work out post the course in Canada I will be well off in my home country. As per ties to home country, I have both my parents living here. Will this look shaky for my stuent visa application?