+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Permanent Residents! Proving Your Intention To Stay In Canada...

grahamangus

Star Member
Dec 3, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-04-2014
AOR Received.
12-05-2014
Med's Request
29-01-2015
Med's Done....
03-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
16-03-2015
Hey there,

This question is aimed at current Permanent Residents new and old.

I recently received PR back in February and fully intend to stay in Canada for many years and understand that will need to renew in five years time. I was reading up on renewal and specifically about how you have to prove that you have been in Canada for the five years and that you intend to stay for another five years etc.

To anyone who has been through the renewal process - what was required to renew your PR and what was the process involved?

i want to make sure i build the best case possible for myself in these coming 5 years, holding onto as much evidence as I can, so the renewal process is as smooth as possible and that i minimize the risk of rejection.

Thanks!

lhyyym

Aug 26, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You only have to stay in Canada for 2 years in the following 5 years, right?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
grahamangus said:
Hey there,

This question is aimed at current Permanent Residents new and old.

I recently received PR back in February and fully intend to stay in Canada for many years and understand that will need to renew in five years time. I was reading up on renewal and specifically about how you have to prove that you have been in Canada for the five years and that you intend to stay for another five years etc.

To anyone who has been through the renewal process - what was required to renew your PR and what was the process involved?

i want to make sure i build the best case possible for myself in these coming 5 years, holding onto as much evidence as I can, so the renewal process is as smooth as possible and that i minimize the risk of rejection.

Thanks!
You don't need to prove ANYTHING else except that you have been in compliance with the documented residency obligation. There is no requirement to prove future intent.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
grahamangus said:
I recently received PR back in February and fully intend to stay in Canada for many years and understand that will need to renew in five years time....
Congratulations on your PR!

My first thought was, if you plan to stay here indefinitely, you should consider becoming a citizen, after which you don't need to worry about renewing your PR card every 5 years. CIC is in process of revising citizenship requirements, but it's still relatively easy compared to getting PR status.

In either case, probably the biggest challenge for many is documenting their actual time in Canada - the travel history - you will have to report exact dates of leaving and returning to Canada. That includes border crossings to the USA. It's much easier if you know that in advance and keep records :)