+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Permanent Resident having baby in Home country - Questions

jlm85

Jan 19, 2024
Hello,

I am Canadian citizen and my wife is Vietnamese with Canadian Permanent residence. My wife is 3 months pregnant and would like to have her baby delivered by her mother (Obstetrician) in Vietnam.

- Will there be any complications returning back to Canada following the birth of the baby?
- Do we need to prepare any special documents before hand?
- Are there any other things to consider that may cause us/baby issues coming back to our home in Canada?

Thank you!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello,

I am Canadian citizen and my wife is Vietnamese with Canadian Permanent residence. My wife is 3 months pregnant and would like to have her baby delivered by her mother (Obstetrician) in Vietnam.

- Will there be any complications returning back to Canada following the birth of the baby?
- Do we need to prepare any special documents before hand?
- Are there any other things to consider that may cause us/baby issues coming back to our home in Canada?

Thank you!
Basically only documentation issues.

Citizenship: were you (the citizen) born in Canada or naturalized? Or received citizenship through parents born abroad (i.e. you are a citizen by descent)?

If the former - the child will be a citizen. You'll need some months to get all docs and passport for child. Process in brief if you'll need birth certificate (showing parentage), etc., and to do two things: apply for citizenship certificate AND apply through consular section of embassy for temporary passport. Check with the consular section exactly how to do this - usually you apply for the citizienship certificate and then take copies of the application to get temporary passport (which they will issue o basis that the child is presumed to be a citizen).

This sounds onerous and time consuming but it's not so bad. If you're organized you can have it done in a normal timeframe to travel with the child (given that most don't want to take long flights with newborns).

If you are a citizen by descent: it's complicated. Until recently you would have had to apply for PR status for the child. With a recent court decision, that may have changed, but still up in the air (government has to change the law somehow).

Reactions: jlm85