+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Permanent Resident Card Validity

askhan78

Dec 15, 2015
Hello Everyone,

I need kindly advise by all of the members..if someone can please advise.

My Parents were landed in Toronto on 26th February 2016 by having an Immigrant Visa.
After landing in Toronto, they get their PR (Permanent Resident) Card after 3 Months..They lived in Toronto till Eleven (11) Months and on 12th January 2017 they came back to their origin country..i.e. Pakistan.

Can anybody please tell me that after getting PR Card, how long they can stay in Pakistan? I am sure in order to complete their Immigration Process, they must have to come back to Toronto from Pakistan but we really don't know the exact validity of Current PR Card which was issued after three months time after their landing in Toronto for first time.

Please advise me how long they can stay in Pakistan with having PR Card? And when they must have to travel back to Toronto?

Many Thanks for reading this comment and considering our situation.

Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
They must stay in Canada for 730 days within 5 years of their landing date. I would recommend they return earlier or when they go to renew their PR card they will go through a thorough review and will have to prove when they were in Canada with documentation.

askhan78

Dec 15, 2015
Thanks Canuck78 for your quick response.

Actually, My parents were not yet finished with their Pakistan things, for this reason, they traveled back to Pakistan just after 11 Months. but as of now, they are scared that if they didn't travel back to Toronto within a year, their PR Card might get Cancelled and they cannot travel back to Canada.

For this reason, I need to know the validity of PR Card...i heard by some other sources that they must have to travel back within a year time.
Landed on 26th February
After Three Months, get their PR Card...since 12th January 2017, they are in Pakistan. Can they travel anytime back to Canada or they must have to return back within a year time.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Thanks Canuck78 for your quick response.

Actually, My parents were not yet finished with their Pakistan things, for this reason, they traveled back to Pakistan just after 11 Months. but as of now, they are scared that if they didn't travel back to Toronto within a year, their PR Card might get Cancelled and they cannot travel back to Canada.

For this reason, I need to know the validity of PR Card...i heard by some other sources that they must have to travel back within a year time.
Landed on 26th February
After Three Months, get their PR Card...since 12th January 2017, they are in Pakistan. Can they travel anytime back to Canada or they must have to return back within a year time.
So firstly PR cards should be valid for 5 years from date of issue so whilst valid are good for travel and also entering Canada. As PRs they are entitled to enter Canada regardless of PR card validity just needs to be valid to board a plane.

Your parents landed 26 Feb 2016 so they must accumulate 730 days in Canada from that date until 25 February 2021, so the first 5 years from 2/26. There is no specific one year rule just the rule that to say a PR as an individual must be in Canada for 730 days out of a 5 year period,

From the time they landed though to 25 Feb 2021 they can spend upto 3 years outside of Canada without failing the residency obligation so if they already spent 11 months in the country they could stay away until end 2019 without any issues and still meet the residency obligation as long as they did not leave the country again until at least after 25 Feb 2021.

Finally do not confuse PR card validity with residency obligation, the countdown for initial RO starts from date of landing not the date the PR card was issued, which in your parents case was around 26 May 2016 so the PR card itself likely expires around 25 May 2021

Reactions: Bryanna

askhan78

Dec 15, 2015
Many Thanks Bs65 for your kind advise.

Actually my parents met someone border official at Pakistan Airport and he tell them to must go back after a year.

But i am really thankful to you for your clarification.

God bless you....stay happy and blessed always...

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Actually my parents met someone border official at Pakistan Airport and he tell them to must go back after a year.
I wouldn't put too much faith in a foreign immigration personnel explaining the Canadian Immigration requirements.