+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Permanent resident and eTA applicaiton

Kookaburra

Aug 17, 2016
I am an Australian citizen. In 1990 I became a permanent resident in Canada. I lived there for 9 years and then returned to Australia and have not returned to Canada since. I am trying to travel to Canada with my Canadian husband in 6 weeks for a short 3 week visit to see family. I applied for a eTA believing my PR was no longer valid as I left Canada 17 years ago. My eTA application has stalled and I am not getting any responses from my emails. Can I cancel my eTA application, then voluntarily renounce my residency then reapply for a eTA all in 6 weeks or less. Please help this is such a mess.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
If you have been living abroad with your Canadian spouse for at least 2 of the past 5 years, then you actually meet the PR Residency Obligation.

If you meet the RO, then the easiest option I see is to apply for a PRTD and travel as a PR.

Kookaburra

Aug 17, 2016
Thank you. I just looked this up and although I have been with my spouse at the same address for 17 years, he is no an Australian Citizen and is not employed by a province or territory or in a government job. So I don't think I therefore meet these PR obligations.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Kookaburra said:
Thank you. I just looked this up and although I have been with my spouse at the same address for 17 years, he is no an Australian Citizen and is not employed by a province or territory or in a government job. So I don't think I therefore meet these PR obligations.
You're confusing citizenship with PR rules. As long as you are living with your Canadian citizen spouse outside of Canada, you keep your PR status.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Kookaburra said:
I am an Australian citizen. In 1990 I became a permanent resident in Canada. I lived there for 9 years and then returned to Australia and have not returned to Canada since. I am trying to travel to Canada with my Canadian husband in 6 weeks for a short 3 week visit to see family. I applied for a eTA believing my PR was no longer valid as I left Canada 17 years ago. My eTA application has stalled and I am not getting any responses from my emails. Can I cancel my eTA application, then voluntarily renounce my residency then reapply for a eTA all in 6 weeks or less. Please help this is such a mess.
1. As other posters have stated, if you have resided with your Canadian citizen spouse abroad, you have maintained your PR. You are not eligible for an ETA, so apply to Sydney for PR Travel Document.

Follow the instructions here for applying for a PRTD through the VAC: http://www.vfsglobal.ca/canada/Australia/

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
PMM said:
Hi

1. As other posters have stated, if you have resided with your Canadian citizen spouse abroad, you have maintained your PR. You are not eligible for an ETA, so apply to Sydney for PR Travel Document.

Follow the instructions here for applying for a PRTD through the VAC: http://www.vfsglobal.ca/canada/Australia/
So out of interest what would happen to the OP travelling in 3 weeks time on a visa exempt passport I assume before the ETA becomes mandatory Sep 29th . As a PR she would be entitled to land but would probably get reported for lack of RO but then would have a good case being abroad with Canadian spouse so ultimately just a lot of paperwork to retain PR after the event.

Just thinking worst case scenario should the PRTD take longer than 3 weeks given PRs who have forgotten they had PR usually have 2 choices when applying for an ETA either renounce or fill in a PRTD not much of a choice if time is a factor given renounce is usually probably quicker than a PRTD but thats just an assumption..

Kookaburra

Aug 17, 2016
Thanks. I thoroughly looked at the requirements for a PRTD. Even though my Canadian husband and I have lived together in Australia for 17 years the RO states the Canadian Citizen must be in full time employment abroad in a Canadian Government job, Territory or province. This isn't our case as he migrated to Australia with me and is a dual citizen self employed. So I don't understand how we meet the requirements

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Kookaburra said:
Thanks. I thoroughly looked at the requirements for a PRTD. Even though my Canadian husband and I have lived together in Australia for 17 years the RO states the Canadian Citizen must be in full time employment abroad in a Canadian Government job, Territory or province. This isn't our case as he migrated to Australia with me and is a dual citizen self employed. So I don't understand how we meet the requirements
You are still looking at the wrong information. You need to look at the residency requirement for PR, not citizenship.

See here http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5445ETOC.asp#appendixA

Situation 1. Accompanying a Canadian citizen outside Canada

You may count each day that you accompanied a Canadian citizen outside Canada provided that the person you accompanied is your spouse, common-law partner or parent (if you are a child under 19 years of age).