+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Permanent residency of Canada and USA

Gene E

Jun 2, 2011
As far as I am aware, there is no legal obstacle for a person to have both Canadian and American permanent resident status at the same time. Anybody know where I can find something in writing about that? Please help out! Thanks.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You will not find anything in writing about that because they are two separate countries. Canada has their own rules and the US has their own rules.

Be aware that the US can revoke your green card status at any time they believe you have permanently moved away from the US. If you have gained PR status in Canada and are living in Canada, they may well take that as a sign that you are living in Canada permanently. You would also have to continue to file taxes in the US, in order for them to believe that you have not moved elsewhere on a permanent basis. You can also not be outside the US more than a year at a time. Better if it is only 6 months. Years ago I knew people who kept a green card alive just by going to the US every 6 months but I think they are watching it more closely now where you are actually living.

In Canada, the rules are that you must be in Canada at least 730 days in any rolling 5 year period. They don't really care if you have a green card in the US. If you stay 6 months in each country, you would be able to keep both PR's alive but in order to do that, you would have to find a job where that works and you would have to find housing where that works.

Gene E

Jun 2, 2011
Thanks a lot Leon,
Very helpful info. I understand that there is no mutual text regarding the relationship of the permanent residency of these two countries. What I want to find out, I guess is, if there is a text in the Canadian immigration law that prevents somebody that is a permanent resident of another country (including the US), to obtain a Canadian permanent resident status (PR card). I would highly appreciate any info/links in this regard.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Gene E said:
Thanks a lot Leon,
Very helpful info. I understand that there is no mutual text regarding the relationship of the permanent residency of these two countries. What I want to find out, I guess is, if there is a text in the Canadian immigration law that prevents somebody that is a permanent resident of another country (including the US), to obtain a Canadian permanent resident status (PR card). I would highly appreciate any info/links in this regard.
No, there is nothing that forbids you from acquiring another country PR or citizenship while being PR of Canada. It might only come up if for example you had not met the residency requirements for the Canadian PR and wanted to appeal for it based on your circumstances and they were to find out that you had used your time in another country to gain PR or citizenship there, that might not reflect well on your case.

To keep your Canada PR, you just have to meet the residency requirements and stay out of trouble with the law.