+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Permanent residence PR in canada - but moved back to germany - keep PR status?

Ema2000

Dec 28, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-04-2016 send
Doc's Request.
17-05-2016
AOR Received.
16-05-2016
Med's Done....
23-03-2016 upfront
LANDED..........
11-06-2016 flagpole
I got over Common law sponsorship PR card ... residence status. I have it since 6 years. Relationship endet and i moved back to germany last year. Can i Keeper my PR card residence status? HOW? HOW NOT? WHEN WOULD I LOOSE IT? Also is it a Problem for germany that i live in germany (citizen) but still have PR status in canada?

Or do i have to let canada know i live not in canada anymore? And if HOW? And if i Tell them would I LOOSE automaticly PR status in canada?

Thank you soon much.

Emma

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Here's one thread that touches on this:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/can-my-time-abroad-count-toward-my-permanent-resident-status.713898/

And this is what if found, here:
https://www.canlii.org/en/ca/irb/doc/2011/2011canlii59952/2011canlii59952.html

The relevant legislation in this case is section 28 of the Act and section 61 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations[4] (the Regulations). These provisions read as follows:
28. (1) A permanent resident must comply with a residency obligation with respect to every five-year period.
(2) The following provisions govern the residency obligation under subsection (1):
(a) a permanent resident complies with the residency obligation with respect to a five‑year period if, on each of a total of at least 730 days in that five-year period, they are:

(i) physically present in Canada,
(ii) outside Canada accompanying a Canadian citizen who is their spouse or common-law partner or, in the case of a child, their parent,
----
That particular appeal was denied, because the PR did not (previously) establish themselves in Canada before moving abroad.

Notice that it does NOT state that the spouse or partner cannot be a `new' partner, only that they are a Canadian spouse or partner.

Since you had established yourself in Canada after obtaining your PR, you may have a greater chance of using this, if you meet the right person some day.

Last edited:

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I got over Common law sponsorship PR card ... residence status. I have it since 6 years. Relationship endet and i moved back to germany last year. Can i Keeper my PR card residence status? HOW? HOW NOT? WHEN WOULD I LOOSE IT? Also is it a Problem for germany that i live in germany (citizen) but still have PR status in canada?

Or do i have to let canada know i live not in canada anymore? And if HOW? And if i Tell them would I LOOSE automaticly PR status in canada?

Thank you soon much.

Emma
Do you ever plan to reside in Canada again (for two years or more without leaving)? If not, why would you want/need to keep PR status?

As mentioned, you should inform CRA, but no need to inform IRCC or CBSA.

Ema2000

Dec 28, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-04-2016 send
Doc's Request.
17-05-2016
AOR Received.
16-05-2016
Med's Done....
23-03-2016 upfront
LANDED..........
11-06-2016 flagpole
Thank you ... well i am not sure i might want to go back to canada. It was hard work to get the PR...
Would there be a problem if i would visit canada with the pr card or as tourist? Csn it be both?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you ... well i am not sure i might want to go back to canada. It was hard work to get the PR...
Would there be a problem if i would visit canada with the pr card or as tourist? Csn it be both?
A PR cannot enter Canada as a `tourist'.

Even if you do not renew your PR Card, you will still be a PR and cannot be refused entry to Canada. PR status can be lost, obviously or you can voluntarilly renounce your status.

Since a valid PR card is required to travel to Canada via a commercial carrier, you would have to enter Canada via the U.S. at a land border/POE either in a private vehicle or on foot. The CBSA officer may very well `start the process' to have your PR status revoked (issuing a 44(1) report, but you would still be admitted, since the process is not automatic or instantaneous.

Reactions: Ema2000

Ema2000

Dec 28, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-04-2016 send
Doc's Request.
17-05-2016