+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PCC Validity

baadshah8464

Apr 28, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
What is the validity of Indian PCC and Canadian PCC?
For Canadian PCC do we need to submit both finger prints and criminal record check ?

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
A PCC is valid indefinitely if you haven't visited that country after obtaining said document.

For your current country of residence, CIC considers PCC valid for 6 months from date of issue.

ultra99

Jun 25, 2011
Asivad Anac said:
A PCC is valid indefinitely if you haven't visited that country after obtaining said document.

For your current country of residence, CIC considers PCC valid for 6 months from date of issue.
Really? I have a PCC from my home country that's 3 years old (2 years after leaving my home country) that couldn't be possibly valid?

sorry to hijack the topic...

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ultra99 said:
Really? I have a PCC from my home country that's 3 years old (2 years after leaving my home country) that couldn't be possibly valid?

sorry to hijack the topic...
Yes. CIC says the same here (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/intro.asp)

Who needs a police certificate?

In general, you and all the people in your family who are 18 or older need to get a police certificate. You must get one from each country or territory where you have lived for six or more months in a row since the age of 18. (For example, if you lived in a country for eight months but left on a two-week vacation, that counts as living there for eight months.)

For the country you currently live in, the police certificate must be issued no more than six months before you apply.

For countries where you have lived for six months or more, the police certificate must be issued after the last time you lived in that country.

If your certificate is in a language other than English or French, send it when you apply, along with the original copy of a translation done by a certified translator.

ultra99

Jun 25, 2011
Asivad Anac said:
Yes. CIC says the same here (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/intro.asp)

Who needs a police certificate?

In general, you and all the people in your family who are 18 or older need to get a police certificate. You must get one from each country or territory where you have lived for six or more months in a row since the age of 18. (For example, if you lived in a country for eight months but left on a two-week vacation, that counts as living there for eight months.)

For the country you currently live in, the police certificate must be issued no more than six months before you apply.

For countries where you have lived for six months or more, the police certificate must be issued after the last time you lived in that country.

If your certificate is in a language other than English or French, send it when you apply, along with the original copy of a translation done by a certified translator.
But they don't say anything regarding the expiry date of the certificate, which is 3 months.

I left the country in 2009 and got the certificate in 2011, and I visited the country for 1 day, is the PCC still valid?

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ultra99 said:
But they don't say anything regarding the expiry date of the certificate, which is 3 months.

I left the country in 2009 and got the certificate in 2011, and I visited the country for 1 day, is the PCC still valid?
Based on what CIC says on their site, it is valid. With CIC, the best thing to do is not to try and apply one's own good sense but follow their requirements and regulations exactly as stated. As they do not talk about the expiry date of the document, it implies that this document is valid indefinitely, as far as CIC is concerned. If we were to forcefully apply common sense, that makes sense as well because if one hasn't visited a country after getting PCC from them, one couldn't possibly have committed any criminal activities in that country at least.

ultra99

Jun 25, 2011
Asivad Anac said:
Based on what CIC says on their site, it is valid. With CIC, the best thing to do is not to try and apply one's own good sense but follow their requirements and regulations exactly as stated. As they do not talk about the expiry date of the document, it implies that this document is valid indefinitely, as far as CIC is concerned. If we were to forcefully apply common sense, that makes sense as well because if one hasn't visited a country after getting PCC from them, one couldn't possibly have committed any criminal activities in that country at least.
Makes sense. I understand, but with my 1 day visit after PCC counts or is it still implied the 6+ months stay?

Rhodgesaga

May 16, 2015
Has anyone here tried to get FBI police check? And did you try to call FBI about the status of the said request?

inder2513

Star Member
Jun 4, 2015
Asivad-

I came to canada in 2011 on study permit and at that point of time while applying for study permit, I got my police clearance from India. After that I never went back to India. Do I need to get police clearance certificate again??

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
inder2513 said:
Asivad-

I came to canada in 2011 on study permit and at that point of time while applying for study permit, I got my police clearance from India. After that I never went back to India. Do I need to get police clearance certificate again??
Based on my understanding of what that information on CIC site means, I don't think you need a fresh PCC since you've never traveled back to India.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ultra99 said:
Makes sense. I understand, but with my 1 day visit after PCC counts or is it still implied the 6+ months stay?
That's a grey area, right. It depends on how that VO looks at and interprets the rules.

If the rules are interpreted to mean that "on your follow up visit you must have stayed at least 6 months to warrant a new PCC", then you don't need a new PCC. Else you do.