+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport validity - at time of applying for CEC and PPR request

Duke

Star Member
Aug 2, 2011
Hi Guys,

Any one can tell me how much our passport should be valid at the time of application and at time of PPR request.

My passport is expired on 09/09/2014 and i have applied for CEC on 23/aug/2011.

Thanks,
Duke.

SATDXB

Champion Member
Sep 11, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-Aug-09
Doc's Request.
02-Oct-09
File Transfer...
06-Oct-09
Med's Request
18-08-10
Med's Done....
09-09-10
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-01-2011 - Passport sent on 22-01-2011
VISA ISSUED...
11-04-2011
LANDED..........
19th May 2011- Thanks to Almighty!
Duke said:
Hi Guys,

Any one can tell me how much our passport should be valid at the time of application and at time of PPR request.

My passport is expired on 09/09/2014 and i have applied for CEC on 23/aug/2011.

Thanks,
Duke.
H Duke, you dont have to worry at all, your application will get finalized before the expirty of your current PP. ;)

Cheers..

sw6lee

Star Member
Mar 18, 2012
So what is the approximate limit for the passport validity? Is maybe 6months too short? How much do you THINK is minimum so that CIC won't reject your application?

Thanks.

wlee62

Star Member
Jan 10, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
BUF
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-06-2011
AOR Received.
17-09-2011
IELTS Request
submitted with application
File Transfer...
19-01-2012
Med's Request
17-09-2011
Med's Done....
28-09-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
21-02-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-03-2012
LANDED..........
09-04-2012
Your passport should be valid for about 2 years after your first date of application. This isn't a rule, but when they give you your PR visa, the expiry date on it is either 1 year after your medicals were done or when your passport expires, whichever comes first. Since the application process is listed at 15 months, you shouldn't take the risk to have a passport that expires within that time frame (15-21 months) as you'll be really pressed for time if you can't land before the visa expires (you'll have to restart the whole application process if it does).

HuckFinn

Nov 10, 2011
wlee62 said:
Your passport should be valid for about 2 years after your first date of application. This isn't a rule, but when they give you your PR visa, the expiry date on it is either 1 year after your medicals were done or when your passport expires, whichever comes first.
Not the OP, but I have a similar question. I applied in October 2011 (CPP-Ottawa, got the medicals done earlier this month) with the date of expiry in my passport till August 2012. I have then extended my passport (it's a stamp on the back of the main page) till 2017. Do you know if I should wait until the passport request (if successful) or should I notify them somehow?

torontouser

Sep 27, 2011
Hi There, A similar doubt crossed my mind as my passport is expiring on Marc 2013. Currently, my CEC application is in Process state with a note in eCAS saying that "We've started processing your application on 20-FEB-2012".
I saw a friend's PPR email received from Consulate which has stated that the passport must be valid for at least 1 year at the time of submission.
Anticipating some correspondence from CIC, I have applied for early renewal of my PP with Consulate General of India in Toronto. I hope to get it back by next week.
QUESTION: Do I have to send a copy of the new passport to CIC (keeping them informed of the passport renewal)? Please advise.

Here is my timeline:
Application Filed - 14 Sep-2011
Medical request received - 27-SEP-2011
Medicals Done - 11-Oct-2011
Medical Received by CIC: Around Mid Nov 2011
Current Ecas Status: In Process (since Feb 24th 2012).

torontouser

Sep 27, 2011
torontouser said:
Hi There, A similar doubt crossed my mind as my passport is expiring on Marc 2013. Currently, my CEC application is in Process state with a note in eCAS saying that "We've started processing your application on 20-FEB-2012".
I saw a friend's PPR email received from Consulate which has stated that the passport must be valid for at least 1 year at the time of submission.
Anticipating some correspondence from CIC, I have applied for early renewal of my PP with Consulate General of India in Toronto. I hope to get it back by next week.
QUESTION: Do I have to send a copy of the new passport to CIC (keeping them informed of the passport renewal)? Please advise.

Here is my timeline:
Can anyone reply to the question above please? Another question is that at the time of PPR do we have to send both the old and newly renewed passports to the consulate for VISA Stamping or only new would suffice?

torontouser

Sep 27, 2011
torontouser said:
Can anyone reply to the question above please? Another question is that at the time of PPR do we have to send both the old and newly renewed passports to the consulate for VISA Stamping or only new would suffice?
Hello Seniors - Any help with these questions is welcome. Please reply as it is really urgent for me. I did get my renewed passport from CGI Toronto. Now looking forward to your help and advise on next steps.

Thanks.

wlee62

Star Member
Jan 10, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
BUF
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-06-2011
AOR Received.
17-09-2011
IELTS Request
submitted with application
File Transfer...
19-01-2012
Med's Request
17-09-2011
Med's Done....
28-09-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
21-02-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-03-2012
LANDED..........
09-04-2012
Not sure if you would need to send in the old passport as it has expired, but probably wouldn't hurt to send in a photocopy of it. Wait and see if any of the seniors on this forum has any advice.

Also, if you reside in Canada, your passport won't be stamped or anything when you send it in anyways.

error

Dec 30, 2011
torontouser said:

Here is my timeline:
Your old passport valid till March 2013 would have worked just fine.
Since you now have a new passport, you should notify the visa office where your application is being processed (email is ok).
Order GCMS notes shortly afterwards to make sure they actually updated your file.

My family members had their passports renewed while our application was in process - for some reason, the first case-specific inquiry was ignored (Buffalo didn't update the file), I noticed that on the GCMS, and contacted VO again. Worked out well.

sw6lee

Star Member
Mar 18, 2012
I know that one member above said that about 2 years of passport validity will be good.
However, does anyone (preferably expert..) think 1.5 year (18months) left when applying for the cec first time is okay?
IF its not, can I extend it during the process of cec?
When is the best timing during the process of cec?
I also have to extend the work permit as well after, right?

sorry I'm a noob, so I don't know much about this yet. hopefully someone answers my questions. Thanks!

qwertyuiop

Dec 10, 2012
Hi guys,

According to the posts above, Error (username) says what Torontouser had on his passport would have worked fine even if he didn't renew it. Then it's 1 year and 6 months.

However, Wlee62 says the passport should be valid for at least 2 years when applying for CEC.

I'm would like to know if 1year and 6 months will actually work out fine..of course in a "Normal" processing situation..

Could somebody please tell me an answer?

As many people as possible!!

Thank you!