+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport request received but passport to expire in 3 months

bill_x01

Jun 2, 2024
Hi,

I received the passport submission request but my passport only has 3 months left on it.
Applying for a new one is out of the question. I wouldn't be able to get a new one within 30 days.

Will VFS still stamp my passport?
They say "It is recommended that your passport be valid for at least 6 months from the date of this letter."

I'm only worried about whether VFS will stamp the passport or not due to the near expiry.
I don't have any issues leaving for Canada even the next day after.

Jun 24, 2024
dubia
Category........
BUSINESS
It's unlikely VFS will accept your expiring passport for stamping. Here's why:

• General Recommendation: Visa application centers like VFS often recommend a minimum validity of 6 months on the passport. This ensures the passport remains valid for your intended travel and potentially a short stay after.
  • Specific Country Requirements: Canada may have its own entry requirements regarding passport validity. While you might be okay leaving soon, Canada might not allow entry with such a short remaining validity. Double-check Canada's visa requirements for passport validity https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/passport-travel-document.html.
Here are your options:

1. Contact VFS and Explain: Inform VFS about your situation and the urgency of your travel. They might offer guidance or an exception, but it's not guaranteed.
  2. Explore Emergency Passport Options: Some countries offer expedited passport services for emergencies. Check with your local passport issuing authority about this possibility.
  3. Postpone Travel (if possible): This might not be ideal, but it allows you to obtain a renewed passport before applying for the visa.
It's best to prioritize getting a new passport as soon as possible. Even if VFS accepts your expiring passport this time, it might cause delays or issues during travel.
also, you can WhatsApp us we might help you 9310248540, 8958302931 Dubai branch 971 501999486

bill_x01

Jun 2, 2024
Here's my exchange with customer support. I'll update how it goes.

Bill: I got a COPR and I was requested last week to drop off my passport at VFS for visa stamping. I already have an RDV with VFS in Yaounde for Wednesday. The thing is that my passport has 3 months to expire (not the recommended 6 months). So I wanted to be sure that this is not going to be an issue
Agent: OK
Agent: YOUR PASSPORT MUST BE VALID FOR 6 MONTHS
Agent: AT LEAST
Bill: So what is your recommended course of action?
Agent: WHEN DID YOU RECEIVED THE LETTER REQUESTING YOUR PASSPORT?
Bill: About 10 days ago
Agent: DO YOU LIVE HERE IN CAMEROON?
Bill: Yes. I'm in Douala. My RDV with VFS in Yde is this Wednesday
Agent: IT IS RECOMMENDED TO HAVE A PASSPORT VALID FOR AT LEAST 6 MONTHS
Agent: BUT WE LL RECEIVE YOUR PASSPORT EVEN IF ITS VALID FOR 3 MONTHS
Bill: Great. So I'll come with my passport then.
Bill: Thank you

Reactions: iSaidGoodDay

Lord_Tony

Mar 7, 2023
Toronto
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
25-03-2023
AOR Received.
07-05-2023
Med's Done....
15-05-2023
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2023
Even if you get COPR now, I don't believe you can travel to Canada without 6 months of passport validity. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/passport-travel-document.html

Also, the COPR expiry will be aligned with your Passport expiry date also, it will expire. You are in a very tough spot. Left with a COPR which you have to travel within 3 months to get PR and whereas they won't let you enter Canada with this old passport.

Are you applying or applied for a passport renewal,?
what is the ETA to get the new one,
Will you have the new passport before you travel to Canada
I assume in your country they will return the old passport after renewal, you need to carry both old and new passport when you enter Canada as COPR will have old passport number.

bill_x01

Jun 2, 2024
I've confirmed (via other threads on this forum) that Canada does not have any 6 months restriction (for permanent immigrants).
You'll enter the country as long as your passport is valid (not expired).
Note that my passport has about 1.5 years when I applied. So the notice on the website does not appy here.

As for the COPR, yes, it's already set to expire this October when my passport expires. I'm fine with that.

As for the airlines, I've confirmed with some airlines (France and Turkey) that I can board a plane even with only 1 week left in my passport (As long as I'm migrating permanently. I.e I have a 1 way ticket).

I don't mind traveling in such short notice. That's the least of my worries now.

I'm most worried that my passport could be rejected from stamping.
If it's stamped, I can fly even in the following month.
I can also make a new passport (about 2 weeks) and fly with both the old and new as you suggested.

Last edited:
Reactions: iSaidGoodDay

Lord_Tony

Mar 7, 2023
Toronto
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
25-03-2023
AOR Received.
07-05-2023
Med's Done....
15-05-2023
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2023
You might be right about 6 months, Canadian border services personnel might allow case-by-case and maybe always allow PRs. In my case I have traveled by car from Canada to the USA and returned with less than 6 months left on the passport for my US-born kid who was then on a visitor permit, however, airlines and your own country's immigration personnel, or officials in countries where your flight connects, etc.. might not let you leave so please get the new passport and don't risk with old passport based on the advice of amateurs in this forum here unless you have an official rule from the Canadian government.

On submission also, the worst case is if the local embassy sends your old passport back I'm sure they will give you time. don't sweat too much. Apply for your renewal and submit the old passport.

Last edited: