+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport renewal during processing

DL1980

Jul 2, 2024
I have a question,

I am in the process of sponsoring my husband (I am Canadian, he is Portuguese). My question is:

His passport expires in a year and a half. He is applying for an open work permit (OWP) at the same time as the sponsorship... so far everything is ok. But, the OWP will not exceed the date of the passport so if the processing is not finished for the sponsorship what to do? Renew your passport and request an extension of the OWP or request another one? I know that a OWP can be valid for up to 3 years but if the passport expires before it cannot exceed this date.

THANKS

ERCAN

Jan 25, 2023
I have a question,

I am in the process of sponsoring my husband (I am Canadian, he is Portuguese). My question is:

His passport expires in a year and a half. He is applying for an open work permit (OWP) at the same time as the sponsorship... so far everything is ok. But, the OWP will not exceed the date of the passport so if the processing is not finished for the sponsorship what to do? Renew your passport and request an extension of the OWP or request another one? I know that a OWP can be valid for up to 3 years but if the passport expires before it cannot exceed this date.

THANKS
1.5 years is below the usual processing time for family sponsorship. Unless you're from Québec. So you are likely on worth just apply for owp right away.

NBosprey

Jan 19, 2024
I have a question,

THANKS
The simple answer to your question, if his PR has not been approved by the time the OWP is close to expiring, your husband just simply renews his passport and applies for a new OWP once he gets his new passport and updates IRCC with the new passport for his PR application. If he has to renew, I'd recommend contacting the Portuguese embassy to inquire about passport renewals and processing times and to give yourself lots of time before the OWP expires.

My partner is dual British/German and is first SOWP was attached to his UK passport which expired in October. He applied to renew his UK passport but due to the names on his passports not matching they are delaying his renewal until the name on the German passport has be changed. Anyways to make a long story short, he reapplied for his SOWP with his German passport (wrote a letter of explanation explaining the situation yada yada) and its been approved till August 2026. We applied for spousal sponsorship last February for context.