+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport Expiry Time should be greater than visa time or Not??

haseebhaseeb30

Star Member
Aug 15, 2014
My studies will end in 2019 but by Passport will expire in 2018.
On the passport despatch letter, the passport requirement says that passport must be valid for the expected length of stay in Canada.
Does that mean my passport should be valid till 2019 or is it okay as I will renew my passport once it gets closer to expiry date?

Babies0625

Feb 4, 2015
Calgary
haseebhaseeb30 said:
On the passport despatch letter, the passport requirement says that passport must be valid for the expected length of stay in Canada.
Does that mean my passport should be valid till 2019 or is it okay as I will renew my passport once it gets closer to expiry date?
Yes, your passport must be valid until 2019 or much better after 2019. "Each passport should have a minimum of two blank visa pages and minimum 6 months validity. If possible, your passport should be valid for the duration of your study period as a study permit cannot be issued beyond the validity of your passport"

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

haseebhaseeb30 said:

You will get study permit up to 2018, after that you can apply for an extension. Your study permit can't be valid for longer than passport’s validity.

juancarlosco101

Star Member
Feb 10, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
haseebhaseeb30 said:
Mate, from what i have noticed,people that had their passport expired before their study pemit or visitors permit,
oneway or the other had some difficulties in some applications.
If its within your reach to resolve it now,i will advice you to do so,The earlier the better.

Babies0625

Feb 4, 2015
Calgary
juancarlosco101 said:
Mate, from what i have noticed,people that had their passport expired before their study pemit or visitors permit,
oneway or the other had some difficulties in some applications.
If its within your reach to resolve it now,i will advice you to do so,The earlier the better.
Indeed, applying for extension and going through the process of passport renewal abroad might cause issues, who knows?

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
It's not an issue. But Canada won't give any visa/permit beyond the expiry of the passport.

During my student life, I extended my study permit once, applied for co-op work permit few times, applied for TRV few times and obtained a new passport from local embassy within Canada. I never had to face any problem. When you apply to extend your SP; they will look at the academic documents (full-time status, tentative completion date by the school registrar etc.) before issuing it. So, if you stick to studies; it won't be a problem.

Having said that if you have chance now to extend your passport; you should do so to avoid the hassle in future.

Reactions: pragati10

salvatore270

Star Member
Dec 7, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mine too will expire before the end of my PhD, and I am applying for an OWP for my common-law partner as well.

So I guess I will extend my study permit, and then she'll extend her OWP right?

haseebhaseeb30

Star Member
Aug 15, 2014
Rossei said:
It's not an issue. But Canada won't give any visa/permit beyond the expiry of the passport.

During my student life, I extended my study permit once, applied for co-op work permit few times, applied for TRV few times and obtained a new passport from local embassy within Canada. I never had to face any problem. When you apply to extend your SP; they will look at the academic documents (full-time status, tentative completion date by the school registrar etc.) before issuing it. So, if you stick to studies; it won't be a problem.

Having said that if you have chance now to extend your passport; you should do so to avoid the hassle in future.

In my application I have sent them the scanned copies of my passport. Therefore if I renew my passport now, my current passport will be cancelled and my new passport will come with a different Passport Number. And this new passport will not match with the one I sent to the embassy.
Therefore isn't it advisable as these are the final stages of my study visa approval, that I don't renew it now and just send them my current passport and then renew it in 2018?

haseebhaseeb30

Star Member
Aug 15, 2014
On my CIC account they have given me the letter to despatch the passport. What I am trying to ask is that will the embassy return my passport back without giving my a study permit with the reason that my passport is not valid till 2019???

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
haseebhaseeb30 said:
On my CIC account they have given me the letter to despatch the passport. What I am trying to ask is that will the embassy return my passport back without giving my a study permit with the reason that my passport is not valid till 2019???
Did you apply from inside/outside Canada? You have a CIC account, that makes me think you're inside Canada.

Anyway, if you have already applied; it's better to renew the PP later. BTW, if you're outside Canada, I think you will get SP at POE when you enter Canada. They will just give you a Student-TRV for now.

haseebhaseeb30

Star Member
Aug 15, 2014
I am in Pakistan and I applied online from here.
Now what is this STV you are talking about. And why would I get the study permit at point of entry in Canada?? Is that something of concern?

dUNE

Feb 15, 2014
Rossei said:

hi Rossei,

How long it will take you approval for VO of your SP? Is it the same requirementment when you applied for SP? thanks

silent3y3s

Jun 1, 2014
Halifax
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
26-02-2020
Doc's Request.
NO
Interview........
Not required!
dUNE said:
hi Rossei,

How long it will take you approval for VO of your SP? Is it the same requirementment when you applied for SP? thanks
I do not think so that it is going to cause any trouble in future if passport expiry date is lesser than than the program of study. In Pakistan, there is a requirement that you can renew your passport if 6months or lesser time is left on passport expiry date. I applied last year and got my visa so much late that I missed my session and now my program duration is more than my pass expiry date.

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
dUNE said:
hi Rossei,

If you're talking about SP renewal inside Canada, it shouldn't take long. I don't exactly remember but it took around a month or so for me. You can apply to renew your SP within 90-30 days prior to expiry. The requirement didn't change at all as I'm seeing now at my university website. I passed from uWindsor and the Int'l Student Centre (ISC) was always helpful in assisting int'l students with visa/permit applications.

You can have a look here: http://www1.uwindsor.ca/isc/sp

dUNE

Feb 15, 2014
Thanks for that rossei, its really a great help to me..since I came here in canada as TRV and applying for SP inside canada submitted online last Jan.14,2015 for two year Post-graduate program at ULI(BC).My passport will expire on Feb.10,2016 I am afraid if i will renew my passport it will take 2-3 months processing.Maybe I'll just wait untill the results for the cic then renew my passport otherwise if cic will refuse my application, I gonna go back to my home country.huhu..