+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport delivered to the LA office during weekends

jellytree

Feb 4, 2014
Hi guys,

I applied a Travel Visa online Jan 14th. When they requested my passport on Jan 22, I sent it back to the consulate the second day, but somehow USPS delivered my passport on Jan 25th, which is Saturday morning, at least that's what USPS claims. I haven't heard back from the consulate util now (Feb 4th) and I am seriously worried about my passport just got dropped in the Consulate front door and was lost.

Have anyone experienced similar things? I contacted the consulate via emails twice but no reply at all, tried to call them but didn't succeed. Does anyone have other suggestions about how to figure out what happened to my pp ASAP? I have booked the ticket to Canada in 2 weeks, feel like i will just end up with rescheduling the trip and applying for another passport. :'(

Thank you very much!!!

aryan11

Feb 5, 2014
I have exactly similar situation like yours…..I called USPS today and filed a report, they have initiated the case inquiry per the customer service representative and they will call me back by tomorrow afternoon to give final report….I would suggest you to call USPS and file a report at 800-ASK-USPS….You will needs lots of patience as it took 14 minutes of hold before I could speak to the customer service representative…..

jellytree

Feb 4, 2014
aryan11 said:
I have exactly similar situation like yours.....I called USPS today and filed a report, they have initiated the case inquiry per the customer service representative and they will call me back by tomorrow afternoon to give final report....I would suggest you to call USPS and file a report at 800-ASK-USPS....You will needs lots of patience as it took 14 minutes of hold before I could speak to the customer service representative.....
Cool! Will do. But I guess I will miss my flight to Canada next weekend any way ... gave up with the consulate... :(
Thx for ur suggestions a lot!

jellytree

Feb 4, 2014
aryan11 said:
I have flight in 1 week.....fingers crossed!!!
I have called USPS, the tracking information said "delivered", they claims it means it's delivered to the post office, not to the Canadian Consulate. I am totally confused. So sad...

grad_student

Dec 10, 2013
jellytree said:
I have called USPS, the tracking information said "delivered", they claims it means it's delivered to the post office, not to the Canadian Consulate. I am totally confused. So sad...
Do you have a basic idea of how mail system works? USPS delivers mails 6 days a week.

jellytree

Feb 4, 2014
grad_student said:
Do you have a basic idea of how mail system works? USPS delivers mails 6 days a week.
I know that part, :p but some carriers just drop stuff at the front door and marked it as "delivered", which happened me when i lost my package month ago... I sincerely hope USPS didn't do that to my passport... Hopefully they put it in a mail box... :-/

grad_student

Dec 10, 2013
jellytree said:
I know that part, :p but some carriers just drop stuff at the front door and marked it as "delivered", which happened me when i lost my package month ago... I sincerely hope USPS didn't do that to my passport... Hopefully they put it in a mail box... :-/
According to the laws of USA, each mailing address is required to have a mailbox meeting specific requirements in order to receive mail. The USPS responsibility is to deliver mail to that mail box. They do that 6 days a week. Once the mail is delivered, USPS is relieved of all obligations on its part. You cant blame USPS for anything that happens to the mail after it is delivered to a particular address. It is the responsibility of that address occupant to ensure safety of mail. The federal govt. has made this responsibility easy for them by making it a crime to steal mail.

It is also not USPS responsibility that they deliver mail on Saturday and the consulate is closed that day. It is consulate's responsibility to ensure mail safety. If you are that worried, plan the mailing of the passport so it doesnt get there on Saturday.