+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport covering 4 year period (old 1 month & new 3yrs-11 month)

cancitizen

Mar 25, 2014
I need some advise on following situation:

My family applied in end of April,2014 with covering 4 years of passport copies. From 4 years 1 month fallen under old passport and 3 year 11 month is under new passport. They landed under new passport with immigration visa and all stamps since then. Actually old passport copy had to provide just to cover 1 month period.

The old passport is not in under possession anymore which was a valid and manual issued and later replaced in May, 2010 by machine readable passport when the home country started converting manual to digital. After obtaining new digital passport it was sent to CHC for immigration visa stamp.

Now the question is during interview, what should tell the officer if asked for to see the old passport? or it is not relevant to the officer as the new passport tells all the history from landing on Jan, 2011 till applying on April, 2014 ?

whiterose232

Jun 30, 2014
Hi there,

I had the exactly similar situation as I also had one month short on my new passport. I only brought to test my new passport and the officer insisted to get the old one or else I cannot sit for the test. Fortunately, the test center was right next to my home so I ran to get my old passport. Unfortunately, my old passport had still the valid visa of Dubai so the officer gave me the RQ there and then.

The CIC has to see the 4 year travel history so I doubt you can avoid it. Hope you old passport is clear of any issue.

All the best

cancitizen

Mar 25, 2014
What happens when the old passport has taken back by passport office replacing the new one? as my family case is not a expire or renew issue. It was just converting the manual passport to the machine readable.

cancitizen

Mar 25, 2014
Seniour member, Pls advise whether we should send a explanation letter that the old passport cover the one month which copy provided with application is not in our possession. We have returned old mannual issued passport to passport office when got the new digital MRP passport and there was no other country valid visa in the old passport.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
cancitizen said:
Seniour member, Pls advise whether we should send a explanation letter that the old passport cover the one month which copy provided with application is not in our possession. We have returned old mannual issued passport to passport office when got the new digital MRP passport and there was no other country valid visa in the old passport.
Has your application actually gone into process as per ecas and/or have you received your test booklet?

handsomeishere

Feb 10, 2011
Hi would you kindly be able to let me know that did you go out of canada after you landed, thnks
whiterose232 said:
Hi there,

I had the exactly similar situation as I also had one month short on my new passport. I only brought to test my new passport and the officer insisted to get the old one or else I cannot sit for the test. Fortunately, the test center was right next to my home so I ran to get my old passport. Unfortunately, my old passport had still the valid visa of Dubai so the officer gave me the RQ there and then.

The CIC has to see the 4 year travel history so I doubt you can avoid it. Hope you old passport is clear of any issue.

All the best

cancitizen

Mar 25, 2014
We applied on 24 april and ecase still not showing in process. After landing on Jan 2011 we have 80 days vacation travel to home country with the new passport issued on May 2010. In fact we given old passports to to a agent to return passport office but no proof.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
cancitizen said:
We applied on 24 april and ecase still not showing in process. After landing on Jan 2011 we have 80 days vacation travel to home country with the new passport issued on May 2010. In fact we given old passports to to a agent to return passport office but no proof.
Wait till its on ecas...sending anything now is pointless as there is nothing to reference to if your file hasn't even been created. Outcome is:

1. Best case scenario you go into ecas no issues (well until a potential RQ).

2. Worst case scenario the whole package sent back as missing passports covering entire 4 year period (you should have written a cover letter with all the reasons you are now providing on the forum as to why you don't have the docs).

3. Compromise scenario - Sidney doesn't send back the application but writes you a letter to send the missing passports within x days or closes your application.

2 or 3 seem to depend on the whim of the agent opening your application and is yet another CIC inconsistency mess!

Canad87

Star Member
Jul 1, 2014
Dear All,

I am preparing my citizenship application that I will submit around the mid of July , I have the following inquires regard filling the form :

1) Section 6.E : Addresses in the past 4 years. During the past four years I lived in Jordan and Saudi Arabia where NO postal codes are used there. and the CIC asked to include all postal codes in Canada and abroad.Should I leave it empty for the abroad addresses.

Also, during the 4 years I reside many times in hotels (right after landing ). Should I include these addresses.

2)Section 6.F : Education & Work History . During the last 4 years (right before lading) I worked as an engineering in Saudi Arabia , I do not have any employment / experience letter from my employer there,Also I tried to contact the company and the refused to provide me with any letters or documents (this is common with companies in Saudi Arabia ). The CIC ask to provide employment evidences for each job/company I worked for during the last for years . Does any one have any recommendation ?

I am not sure ! Weather or not I should ignore any work records pre-landing but during the last four years.
Will CIC return the application?
Have read any bulletin or manual shows any clarifications ?

Thank you all.
Regards

cancitizen

Mar 25, 2014
Old passport replaced by new before landing (covers 1 month-not in possession)

Pleae advise on following situation:

We are hoping for ecas update anytime since we applied 65 days. We provided photocopy of the old manual passport with current passport but we forgot to include cover letter explaining that old passport which covers only one month outside the qualifying residence period is not with our possession due to replacement by new machine readable passport before we came to Canada.

We landed on Jan 2011 and new passport issued in May 2010 which covers our total residency (basic & physical) and has immigrant visa stamped with all travel history from the date of landing till application date 24 April 2014.

Once we see the ecas update, should we inform CIC that we forgot to include cover letter letter of old passport which is replaced by new before landing to Canada and the old passport is not in our possession. Our current passport covers our total residency and travel history of last 4 years?

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Why didnt you wait an extra month so you have the entire 4 years period covered in the new passport??? Good luck explaining you dont have the old passport, to me thats a stright RQ.

I dont mean to pick on you personally but those types of mistakes I just cant digest. Why didnt seek advise before you applied? The requirements are strightforward, you need to cover all 4 years. I am not sure what country keeps your old passport when you get a new one, you will have to explain this very clearly in your follow up letter, and provide official proof.