+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parents & Grandparents Program(PGP) 2024

Rockstar999

May 29, 2024
Hello Friends,

I submitted the PGP on July 17/2024. I received an email from CIC asking for PCC.
My parents were in Canada on Visitor visa for more than 6 months multiple times in the past.
Do I need the PCC from back home and PCC from Canada as well? The letter does not specifically say PCC to submit for Canada. It says the country they spent most of their adult life which is not the case here.
Please advise.

Here is what the letter says.

please obtain
and submit as soon as possible:
• Police Certificate: The principal applicant and their dependant family member (if
applicable) must provide police certificates from:
• Their current country of residence if they have resided there for 6 months or more,
and
• The country where they have spent most of their adult life since the age of 18 (if
different than current country of residence).

Thank you much.
- Rockstar

paul719

Star Member
Jan 15, 2014
bc
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-june-2013
AOR Received.
10 july 2013
File Transfer...
10 july 2013
Med's Done....
25 may 2013
Passport Req..
15 aug 2013
VISA ISSUED...
IP 4 March 2014
Hello Friends,

I submitted the PGP on July 17/2024. I received an email from CIC asking for PCC.
My parents were in Canada on Visitor visa for more than 6 months multiple times in the past.
Do I need the PCC from back home and PCC from Canada as well? The letter does not specifically say PCC to submit for Canada. It says the country they spent most of their adult life which is not the case here.
Please advise.

please obtain
• Police Certificate: The principal applicant and their dependant family member (if
• Their current country of residence if they have resided there for 6 months or more,
and
• The country where they have spent most of their adult life since the age of 18 (if

Thank you much.
- Rockstar
Did u get any additional documents requested before this letter

Shankar Iyer

Star Member
Jan 20, 2014
Hello Friends,

Please advise.

please obtain
and

Thank you much.
- Rockstar
Hi there,

They dont need police clearance from Canada. I can say this with confidence because my parents were on SuperVIsa in Canada for ~2yrs when they applied for PGP from here in Oct 2023 and got their PR in May 2024. They only submitted a PCC from the home country despite being in Canada for over 6 months.

In fact i went to the local RCMP office requesting for a certificate and they turned me back. Typically if IRCC needs it for Canada they'll send a special letter for it. And usually they dont because when the parents give fingerprints they run a criminal record check based on that anyway.

So dont bother yourself getting a certificate from here, there are agencies who do it for $$ but its not required unless asked for.

Good luck
Shankar

Shankar Iyer

Star Member
Jan 20, 2014
Greetings to everyone on this forum!

Congratulations to you and your family members for getting chosen in this round of the PGP lottery. I know the feeling as my family got picked after waiting 7 years in Oct 2023. I am just a few steps ahead of you folks and applied in the 2023 intake. While the wait was so long we were lucky that the application moved through quickly and in 7 months my parents got their PR. So I wanted to share some tips based on what I’ve learnt from my experience at the time when the application was processed.

Please know that I am not giving you any suggestions on how to fill out the forms, my post will be useful to you after you’ve submitted the application and waiting for the next steps:
  1. Pack in a lot of patience, while you may think the worst is behind you because you’ve won the lottery and that is true in a way, IRCC will test your patience from time-to-time by asking for documents that may not seem of importance to you. My inference was that they were doing this for audit reasons in many cases, to prove they’ve done their due diligence. Therefore do not fret or question, just give them what they’re asking for. If you do not have something write a letter of explanation. IRCC is considerate and will take your explanation into account
  2. IMPRTANT: If at the time of submitting the application your parent’s passport is valid for less than 12 months, IRCC may ask for renewed passports. In our batch of applicants almost none heard before 3 months after they initially applied, so make use of that time to have the passports renewed. Thus you can immediately present them when asked for.
  3. You can also proactively apply for Police clearance documents since in many countries it takes time, especially if your folks are in Canada and you were applying through your country’s international consulate in Canada.
  4. And you DO NOT Need to obtain a criminal record check from Canada unless explicitly asked for no matter how much time your parents have spent in Canada. This was a major point of confusion among the applicants in our lot.
  5. If your parents had any form of visa that required medical exams that were done within past 5 years then IRCC may consider that and may not ask for another medical exam for the PR. In that situation do not rush to get a medical exam in advance.
  6. For applicants of Indian nationality IRCC will ask for these additional documents, so please start collecting them after submitting initial application
    1. Aadhar card – for sponsor and applicants
    2. Voters ID – for sponsor and applicants
    3. Rationing card
    4. PAN card – for sponsor and applicants
    5. Grade 5 to 10 marksheet, matriculation certificate – for sponsor
    6. Surrendered/cancelled Indian passport – for sponsor
    7. OCI card – for sponsor
You may not be asked for all of them depending on your case. If you don’t have everything, give them whatever you have and for the missing ones write a letter of explanation. They will suggest alternatives as required. Like I said earlier we found that IRCC is considerate especially when you demonstrate that you’re doing your best in helping them get as much information they need to process your file.
  1. Also in our batch some folks were asked to submit a hand signed copy of the family information form, if that happens to you then you can download the application bundle that you submitted via the portal. From that you can separate the family information form – print, hand sign, scan and send it. There may be other ways which you can check with IRCC call center for guidance 1-888-242-2100.
  2. As soon as you hear from IRCC for the first time they’ll give you an application number or an interim application number (it will appear on top of a bar code in the PDF Letter). Try to link that to the GCKey by going online https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/account.html. If you have trouble doing it yourself call 1-888-242-2100 and the call center will guide you. Once you link your application you can track your application status online. But most importantly you can submit documents by uploading them to the portal which attaches them directly to your file. This is way quicker than replying to their emails and waiting for them to attach documents to your files. Its just a small way of expediting your application processing times.

I hope that you find this information useful and I wish you all the very best. May your applications zip through and may you all have your loving parents with you tout suite

Rockstar999

May 29, 2024
Hi there,

They dont need police clearance from Canada. I can say this with confidence because my parents were on SuperVIsa in Canada for ~2yrs when they applied for PGP from here in Oct 2023 and got their PR in May 2024. They only submitted a PCC from the home country despite being in Canada for over 6 months.

In fact i went to the local RCMP office requesting for a certificate and they turned me back. Typically if IRCC needs it for Canada they'll send a special letter for it. And usually they dont because when the parents give fingerprints they run a criminal record check based on that anyway.

So dont bother yourself getting a certificate from here, there are agencies who do it for $$ but its not required unless asked for.

Good luck
Shankar

Rockstar999

May 29, 2024
Thank you Shankar. I appreciate your feedback. I had the same feeling but wanted to check with someone who had gone through it. God Bless
Cheers. !!

totobee

Nov 24, 2011
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
App. Filed.......
May 2024
Doc's Request.
July 15, 2024
AOR Received.
October 4, 2024

Congratulations to you and your family members for getting chosen in this round of the PGP lottery. I know the feeling as my family got picked after waiting 7 years in Oct 2023. I am just a few steps ahead of you folks and applied in the 2023 intake. While the wait was so long we were lucky that the application moved through quickly and in 7 months my parents got their PR. So I wanted to share some tips based on what I’ve learnt from my experience at the time when the application was processed.

Please know that I am not giving you any suggestions on how to fill out the forms, my post will be useful to you after you’ve submitted the application and waiting for the next steps:
  1. Pack in a lot of patience, while you may think the worst is behind you because you’ve won the lottery and that is true in a way, IRCC will test your patience from time-to-time by asking for documents that may not seem of importance to you. My inference was that they were doing this for audit reasons in many cases, to prove they’ve done their due diligence. Therefore do not fret or question, just give them what they’re asking for. If you do not have something write a letter of explanation. IRCC is considerate and will take your explanation into account
  2. IMPRTANT: If at the time of submitting the application your parent’s passport is valid for less than 12 months, IRCC may ask for renewed passports. In our batch of applicants almost none heard before 3 months after they initially applied, so make use of that time to have the passports renewed. Thus you can immediately present them when asked for.
  3. You can also proactively apply for Police clearance documents since in many countries it takes time, especially if your folks are in Canada and you were applying through your country’s international consulate in Canada.
  4. And you DO NOT Need to obtain a criminal record check from Canada unless explicitly asked for no matter how much time your parents have spent in Canada. This was a major point of confusion among the applicants in our lot.
  5. If your parents had any form of visa that required medical exams that were done within past 5 years then IRCC may consider that and may not ask for another medical exam for the PR. In that situation do not rush to get a medical exam in advance.
  6. For applicants of Indian nationality IRCC will ask for these additional documents, so please start collecting them after submitting initial application
    3. Rationing card
You may not be asked for all of them depending on your case. If you don’t have everything, give them whatever you have and for the missing ones write a letter of explanation. They will suggest alternatives as required. Like I said earlier we found that IRCC is considerate especially when you demonstrate that you’re doing your best in helping them get as much information they need to process your file.
  1. Also in our batch some folks were asked to submit a hand signed copy of the family information form, if that happens to you then you can download the application bundle that you submitted via the portal. From that you can separate the family information form – print, hand sign, scan and send it. There may be other ways which you can check with IRCC call center for guidance 1-888-242-2100.
  2. As soon as you hear from IRCC for the first time they’ll give you an application number or an interim application number (it will appear on top of a bar code in the PDF Letter). Try to link that to the GCKey by going online https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/account.html. If you have trouble doing it yourself call 1-888-242-2100 and the call center will guide you. Once you link your application you can track your application status online. But most importantly you can submit documents by uploading them to the portal which attaches them directly to your file. This is way quicker than replying to their emails and waiting for them to attach documents to your files. Its just a small way of expediting your application processing times.

I hope that you find this information useful and I wish you all the very best. May your applications zip through and may you all have your loving parents with you tout suite
Thank you.

totobee

Nov 24, 2011
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
App. Filed.......
May 2024
Doc's Request.
July 15, 2024
AOR Received.
October 4, 2024

3. Rationing card

Did your parents re-do their biometrics? I have an impression that PR biometrics is different from temporary visas. My mom had her biometrics submitted with her supervisa application in March 2024. Hopefully, she wont be asked to for a new medical exam and biometrics.

truthprev

Star Member
Apr 26, 2016
how did you get UCI ? have your parents come to canada before ?
They have come here for the first time on a Tourist Visa.. If I am not mistaken, whoever applies for any type of Visa, permit etc, whether gets rejected or approved gets a UCI number... It's like your client number. UCI = Unified Client Identifier, I guess?

Reactions: YVR123