+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Overstayed in US, immigrating to Canada

pat123

May 8, 2008
Hi,

I did not see a response in another category so I am reposting. I have a friend of mine after overstaying for a number of years have applied to come to Canada as a skilled worker. She has stayed in the US legally for only 1.5 years. Since she applied to Canada and now she goes to her home country what would happen to her application? Does she need to re-apply from the home country? Or is it advisable to stay on in the US for the duration of time until the Canadian interview? And realistically what are the chances of her getting the Canadian permanent residency?

Thanks for any responses.

marbouhi

Aug 30, 2007
hi pat123
in this case, if she have an application in process, just wait till they call for an interview. they will need a police clearance certificate for each country she stayed over 6 months. if she is back home she does not need an other application , just change of address if the first one was in us.

willostj

Star Member
Dec 20, 2006
She will be fine. She may return to her home counntry but be mindful that if she applied in buffalo and an interview is required, she may not be able to secure a visa to attend seeing that she overstayed her previous one. Good luck!