+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Overstayed in US, can i still apply for RN job in Canada?

maria_danica

Aug 19, 2010
I passed my NCLEX RN in the US last 2008. on feb 2010, I arrived here as a tourist and tried to apply for RN position but due to lack of experience, retrogression, and visa processing will take years, i decided to overstay and currently working in an elderly facility as a caregiver to support my family and my US citizen daughter back home.

and now i am looking for ways to work as a registered nurse in Canada. i do not have any relatives to sponsor me so i am doing this all by my own. I know this is an impossible pursuit but I am still hopeful that there is a possibility that I could be accepted to work in Canada. Is there any way that i could do with my situation?

upp942

May 27, 2010
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo >> Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-May-2010
Doc's Request.
01-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
23-May-2011
IELTS Request
submitted with initial application
Med's Request
02-May-2012 (post mark)
Med's Done....
24-May-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
01-Nov-12
VISA ISSUED...
14-Nov-12
maria_danica said:
I passed my NCLEX RN in the US last 2008. on feb 2010, I arrived here as a tourist and tried to apply for RN position but due to lack of experience, retrogression, and visa processing will take years, i decided to overstay and currently working in an elderly facility as a caregiver to support my family and my US citizen daughter back home.

and now i am looking for ways to work as a registered nurse in Canada. i do not have any relatives to sponsor me so i am doing this all by my own. I know this is an impossible pursuit but I am still hopeful that there is a possibility that I could be accepted to work in Canada. Is there any way that i could do with my situation?
Since you arrived in the US using a B1/B2 visa, you haven't stayed in the US legally for at least one year. They can only accept applicants who have legally stayed in a foreign country for at least one year.

What I can suggest is for you to take the CRNE test in Canada and pass it the first time. Once you pass it, you might be able to find a job as an R.N. The only problem with that solution is that once you exit the US, you will be banned for three or ten years, depending on how long you overstayed your visa. Although working as a caregiver in the US doesn't really earn you that much money, I know it's way more than going to your home country and work there. It's a life-altering decision but just think about your child when you do make a decision.

Good Luck!

lpntocanada

Star Member
Aug 9, 2010
maria_danica said:

Have you tried computing your points for Canadian immigration under FSW? You can still apply for FSW under your home country even if you're here in the U.S. I have a friend who is in the same situation as you and will be applying.

angdyosa

Star Member
Aug 13, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
maria_danica said:

hi. i have a friend doctor who has a nephew who applied in the FSW category in canada. during their waiting period, the wife went to USA and overstayed. she thought that while waiting with their application with canada shw can stay as long as she wants in the US. but the canadian office knew that the wife overestayed, in short the husband and the children had been issued a canadian PR visa. wife failed because of her record with US> check it out first before submitting a docs. gudluck!!

wingsofmaybe7777

Mar 4, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna, Austria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14/04/2011 Federal
Nomination.....
CSQ received 04/04/2011
AOR Received.
09/05/2011 Federal
IELTS Request
NR
File Transfer...
NR
Med's Request
25/05/2011
Med's Done....
30/05/2011
Passport Req..
26/08/2011
VISA ISSUED...
12/09/2011
An overstay in USA does not have any impact on getting a permanent residency in Canada provided there is NO criminal record!!!

If you cannot apply within the US borders you would have to come back home and apply from your home country. The process takes anywhere between 8 to 14 months .

The FSW program even takes into consideration the experience illegally obtained provided that you have some formal contract and reference letters.

Splintergear1

Jul 30, 2010
I agree.........your current status in the US does not affect your PR application to canada as long as you don't have criminal record as wingsofmaybe777 mentioned above. I think you can even send your application to canada while in US thought i'm not 100% of later.

upp942

May 27, 2010
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo >> Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-May-2010
Doc's Request.
01-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
23-May-2011
IELTS Request
submitted with initial application
Med's Request
02-May-2012 (post mark)
Med's Done....
24-May-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
01-Nov-12
VISA ISSUED...
14-Nov-12
Splintergear1 said:
I agree.........your current status in the US does not affect your PR application to canada as long as you don't have criminal record as wingsofmaybe777 mentioned above. I think you can even send your application to canada while in US thought i'm not 100% of later.
With regards to maria_danica's case, she can only use her country of origin as her VO because she hasn't stayed legally in the US for at least one year.