+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Overstayed in the US, can I get an FBI police clearance certificate?

lamawang

Jul 31, 2021
Hi all,

I am new here and this is my first post. I overstayed my F-1 visa in the US for 60 days in 2019, can I still get an FBI police clearance certificate for my future Canadian EE application? Looking forward to your reply.

Thanks.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi all,

I am new here and this is my first post. I overstayed my F-1 visa in the US for 60 days in 2019, can I still get an FBI police clearance certificate for my future Canadian EE application? Looking forward to your reply.

Thanks.
Yes, you can get one. It will be mandatory to get one as part of your EE application.

lamawang

Jul 31, 2021
Yes, you can get one. It will be mandatory to get one as part of your EE application.
Thanks for your quick response. Is overstaying a crime in the US? Will my overstay become a bad record on that certificate? I left the US voluntarily without any deportation/removal order.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for your quick response. Is overstaying a crime in the US? Will my overstay become a bad record on that certificate? I left the US voluntarily without any deportation/removal order.
It's not a crime.

As long as you are honest about your immigration history in your EE application, it won't be a problem. You'll only have issues if you try to cover up past immigration history.

lamawang

Jul 31, 2021
It's not a crime.

As long as you are honest about your immigration history in your EE application, it won't be a problem. You'll only have issues if you try to cover up past immigration history.
I will never withhold or cheat on anything in my application documents.

Will the overstay record show up in the PCC? I did some research on the FBI PCC, and found that the FBI PCC seems to only concern the "arrest data". If I never got arrested anytime anywhere in the US, does it mean that my FBI PCC will be clean?

Alysson

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2019
I will never withhold or cheat on anything in my application documents.

Will the overstay record show up in the PCC? I did some research on the FBI PCC, and found that the FBI PCC seems to only concern the "arrest data". If I never got arrested anytime anywhere in the US, does it mean that my FBI PCC will be clean?
I was found inadmissible at the border and sent back and they classified this as an arrest at the PCC. You will just have to inform them of this. Even if the PCC has nothing listed, you will still need to inform them when you apply. I’m still in process, but from what I was told, being deported or overstaying a visa won’t harm your chances for a PR, you will just have a difficult time getting a TRV.

Reactions: lamawang

frankfz

Star Member
Jun 6, 2021
in my opinion it shouldn't show up in your PCC. USCIS and ICE oversee immigration, not FBI/police department.

D

Deleted member 1006777

I was found inadmissible at the border and sent back and they classified this as an arrest at the PCC. You will just have to inform them of this. Even if the PCC has nothing listed, you will still need to inform them when you apply. I’m still in process, but from what I was told, being deported or overstaying a visa won’t harm your chances for a PR, you will just have a difficult time getting a TRV.
Where did you inform them of this in your PR application?

D

Deleted member 1006777

I checked the part asking if I was refused admission or ordered to leave. Not sure where an overstay would go though.
Yeah this is an interesting discussion. I was stuck in the US because all flights to my home country were cancelled. Wonder how that will play out in the background checks.

lamawang

Jul 31, 2021
Yeah this is an interesting discussion. I was stuck in the US because all flights to my home country were cancelled. Wonder how that will play out in the background checks.
Hi, mushymush, thanks for participating in this discussion. I saw that your CRS is 521, does this mean that you already have a valid LMIA? Thanks.

D

Deleted member 1006777

Hi, mushymush, thanks for participating in this discussion. I saw that your CRS is 521, does this mean that you already have a valid LMIA? Thanks.
No, my CRS is because of french and english scores. French is actually the anti-LMIA because if you have a job offer, you'd be LMIA exempt.