+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Overstayed in Nigeria, now applying for study permit

Chen93

Mar 23, 2019
I worked in a company in Nigeria and overstayed in Nigeria for 9 months when I was working there in 2018. It was the company's fault which resulted in my overstaying in Nigeria and the company forgot to renew my visa. The company had my passport the whole time and it was their job to renew my visa. Not until I finished my contract and booked my flight and about to go back to my home country did I find out that my visa was expired and I had been overstaying in Nigeria the whole time. I contacted the company I worked for and they are willing to write an explanation letter for me and explain the whole thing and prove that it was not my intention to overstay in Nigeria and I was unaware of the status of my visa the whole time. In this case, what's the possibility that I get my study permit passed? Thanks

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
This will affect your study permit application.

It is your responsibility to be aware of your own immigration status in any country. It's not a good idea to say that you basically had no idea and you didn't care to pay attention to it - the officer may feel that you may be equally careless in Canada.

However, if the rest of your profile is very strong, you have no other immigration issues, and the company writes a convincing letter, you can still get it. No one can say for sure, you have to wait and see.

captainarabiia

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2015
Winnipeg
Visa Office......
Riyadh Visa Office
App. Filed.......
22-02-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2018
I worked in a company in Nigeria and overstayed in Nigeria for 9 months when I was working there in 2018. It was the company's fault which resulted in my overstaying in Nigeria and the company forgot to renew my visa. The company had my passport the whole time and it was their job to renew my visa. Not until I finished my contract and booked my flight and about to go back to my home country did I find out that my visa was expired and I had been overstaying in Nigeria the whole time. I contacted the company I worked for and they are willing to write an explanation letter for me and explain the whole thing and prove that it was not my intention to overstay in Nigeria and I was unaware of the status of my visa the whole time. In this case, what's the possibility that I get my study permit passed? Thanks

Was your visa renewed before you left ?

Why I ask is because I know the same situation in some MiddleEast countries , employers keep the passports.
Sometimes due to less points on foreign workers quota , renewals get delayed .
Was that the case ?

Chen93

Mar 23, 2019
Was your visa renewed before you left ?

Why I ask is because I know the same situation in some MiddleEast countries , employers keep the passports.
Sometimes due to less points on foreign workers quota , renewals get delayed .
Was that the case ?
No. my visa was not renewed before I left.
And it was not the case you mentioned. My company forgot to renew my visa due to their carelessness

Chen93

Mar 23, 2019
This will affect your study permit application.

It is your responsibility to be aware of your own immigration status in any country. It's not a good idea to say that you basically had no idea and you didn't care to pay attention to it - the officer may feel that you may be equally careless in Canada.

However, if the rest of your profile is very strong, you have no other immigration issues, and the company writes a convincing letter, you can still get it. No one can say for sure, you have to wait and see.
Indeed, I have never even cared about my visa status because the company assured me they would take care of everything for me and I trusted them. Maybe I could mention this in my explanation letter and tell the visa officer I have learned my lesson and there is no next time.

Chen93

Mar 23, 2019
it will affect your application negatively for sure. and theres also no reason for a company to keep your passport on your behalf unless its some kind of slavery

and anyway nigerians have a very high rejection rate of around 80% in the first place so dont expect too much
They actually locked all our passports up in a locker. I highly doubt that they just want to save their budget on visa renewal costs. There are over 200 employees there, imagine how much money they can save if they don't renew all those employees' visa.

vishnups

Oct 11, 2017
Hi,
My case is also the same as you. Now I am applying for SOWP. Let me know whether you got student visa or not.