+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Overseas spouse and dependents of protected person and convention refugee timeline - Share here

razrazanan

Star Member
Jul 18, 2023
Influx of applications both for protected persons and others like people that got PR through the medical pathway. The increase in decisions during the COVID period meant that a lot of refugees became protected persons and applied for PR too and included their dependents outside Canada.

I think that everything has eased off and processing times have started coming down. Overseas dependents of protected persons’ processing time has dropped to 47 months from 48 months. It used to be less than 40 months until it grew exponentially. I see it dropping further with time because asylum seekers aren’t crossing borders anymore. A lot of the refugees in Canada crossed the border from the United States .
How long approximately was it during covid? Do you have any idea?

iftikhar0022

Star Member
Nov 14, 2018
I am overseas dependent in UAE I received this email today

Dear Applicant,

You have been identified as a family member/dependent of an in-Canada applicant for permanent residence. As a result, you must be assessed for eligibility and admissibility whether or not you will be accompanying the in-Canada applicant. A visa may or may not be issued to you at the end of the processing even if it has been established that you meet all statutory requirements.

Family members of protected persons in Canada do not need to be examined to enable the protected person to become a permanent resident, however, an examination is still required so may you be sponsored as dependents.

In order to initiate the processing, family members/dependents living abroad must submit a completed application to the nearest Canadian Visa Officer. In this case, your application will be processed by the Embassy of Canada in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.

Please note that as of July 18, 2011, applicants for Permanent Residence are asked to complete the new Generic Application Form for Canada (IMM 0008). Applicants must complete the form electronically and validate the information to generate 2D barcodes before printing. Please submit all the required forms and supporting documents in the attached checklist via the following method:

My question is that I have submitted all the documents to them earlier, so they sent me the checklist again of all the documents, so I don't understand that now I have to send all the documents to them again.

Shiny12

Star Member
Apr 19, 2023

Dear Applicant,

You have been identified as a family member/dependent of an in-Canada applicant for permanent residence. As a result, you must be assessed for eligibility and admissibility whether or not you will be accompanying the in-Canada applicant. A visa may or may not be issued to you at the end of the processing even if it has been established that you meet all statutory requirements.

Family members of protected persons in Canada do not need to be examined to enable the protected person to become a permanent resident, however, an examination is still required so may you be sponsored as dependents.

In order to initiate the processing, family members/dependents living abroad must submit a completed application to the nearest Canadian Visa Officer. In this case, your application will be processed by the Embassy of Canada in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.

Please note that as of July 18, 2011, applicants for Permanent Residence are asked to complete the new Generic Application Form for Canada (IMM 0008). Applicants must complete the form electronically and validate the information to generate 2D barcodes before printing. Please submit all the required forms and supporting documents in the attached checklist via the following method:

My question is that I have submitted all the documents to them earlier, so they sent me the checklist again of all the documents, so I don't understand that now I have to send all the documents to them again.
I think yes as you are instructed to do so.
Can I know which forms are requested to be filled? And what are other supporting documents they asked you to provide?

Good luck bro

Beamsbabe

Jun 22, 2023

Dear Applicant,

Good morning.
My issue is with a phrase in the first paragraph that you may or may not be issued with a visa even after meeting the statutory requirement.

Also what is your timeline because from the email, it seems your file has just been transferred to Abu Dhabi and your sponsors PR has not been issued yet.

Lastly if you are asked to do it again please do. I'm sure there is a reason for it.