+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Outland Spousal Sponsorship vs. Inland sponsorship through Tourist visa vs.

hydrizxcv

Star Member
Jan 16, 2020
Current status: I have written the IELTS exam and I am waiting for the result. I have submitted my transcript to WES. I am waiting for the ECA report.

This is my current understanding after the research I have done. Please reply where I am wrong/mistaken.

1. The 5 year counter for permanent residency starts not after I get my CoPR card but when I fly to a Canada Port of Entry for a routine Q&A by the immigration officer. Only then I actually become a Permanent Resident of Canda.
2. If I get married before submitting the e-APR (electronic Application for PR) my CRS points have to be re-calculated.
3. If I get married after submitting the e-APR application my CRS points will not get re-calculated.
4. If I get married after I receive the CoPR (or before I receive it) my PR process will get delayed.
IRCC will take back my CoPR card and I need to follow a procedure which takes about 2-4 months.
5. If I land in Canada without my wife, I have no option to go for this procedure (4) which takes only 2-4 months. My only option is to apply for the Outland Spousal Sponsorship which takes about a year.
6. After I fly to Canada and become a PR I can apply for an Outland Spousal Sponsorship for my future wife she can fly to Canada. She can fly to Canada and live with me while the application is in process, but she cannot work.

Is my understanding so far correct? I still have a few questions:

Questions:

7. How difficult is the Outland Spousal Sponsorship process compared to the 2-4 month process I mentioned in (4) even in terms of the paperwork and documents that are required.

8. Is the 2-4 month so unquestionably better that you would recommend that I marry before I cross a Canada Point of Entry and return my CoPR card and incur the 2-4 month delay?

9. If there are any problems with my wife's application during this process (4), is there any risk of my PR getting revoked? If so I would like to avoid it and try for the Inland or Outland Sponsorship process.

9. Is getting a tourist visa for my wife, marrying her in Canada and applying for an Inland Spousal Sponsorship a better option than both the pre-entry and the Outland Sponsorship options? What are the drawbacks of this method?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
5. If you get married and land with a COPR that lists you as single, you can never sponsor your wife.

6. She can only fly to visit you if she has a tourist visa. If she already has a tourist visa, she can arrive in Canada and you can apply inland and get her a work permit as part of the inland application.

7. Adding her to your COPR is much easier than sponsoring her.

9. Not unless they determine you were married before you applied and you didn't mention it.

9 (the second one) it will be next to impossible for her to get a tourist visa once you are married.

Reactions: hydrizxcv

hydrizxcv

Star Member
Jan 16, 2020
Thanks. From what you're saying it seems like

1. The best option for me is to get married around 9 months from now after I apply the e-APR.
2. Which would be much easier than the Outland Sponsorship route.
3. It's next to impossible to get her a tourist visa once I am married so that tourist visa -> marriage -> inland sponsorship is not going to work.

Also, can you tell me why it will be next to impossible for her to get a tourist visa once I am married?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks. From what you're saying it seems like

1. The best option for me is to get married around 9 months from now after I apply the e-APR.
2. Which would be much easier than the Outland Sponsorship route.
3. It's next to impossible to get her a tourist visa once I am married so that tourist visa -> marriage -> inland sponsorship is not going to work.

Also, can you tell me why it will be next to impossible for her to get a tourist visa once I am married?
She won't be a genuine visitor, as it will be apparent that she wants to immigrate to live here with you.

Reactions: hydrizxcv