+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Outland Sponsorship - Spouse and Minor Criminal Record - Please help!!

OntarioBound

Nov 11, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-12-2014
AOR Received.
7-3-2015 (SA-13-3-2015)
Med's Done....
05-11-2014
VISA ISSUED...
DM on 4-6-2015 or earlier
LANDED..........
8-7-2015
I think you should talk to a Canadian immigration lawyer. You don't want to do this wrong.

justfromerica

Mar 22, 2015
I was going to go ahead and order my police check but since it expires so fast (and might not make a difference what it says on it anyways) I didn't want to waste time and money just to see what it says if I can't even send my application regardless.

I'm just wondering, regarding misrepresentation, in some states once you have a record sealed you're legally allowed to check "no" etc on applications that ask you. I just don't know if that law would transfer to Canada. If the police check were to show up clear, it's like the charge no longer exists, so would that legally still be misrepresentation? If you're representing the information the way it is now?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
justfromerica said:
I'm just wondering, regarding misrepresentation, in some states once you have a record sealed you're legally allowed to check "no" etc on applications that ask you. I just don't know if that law would transfer to Canada. If the police check were to show up clear, it's like the charge no longer exists, so would that legally still be misrepresentation? If you're representing the information the way it is now?
If you are applying to immigrate in the US, you still have to check "yes" even if the record has been expunged / sealed. In other words, US immigration still counts an expunged /sealed record as a conviction for immigration purposes. I would follow the same rules for Canadian immigration purposes. Misrepresentation isn't something you want to take any chances with since it's a 5 year ban from Canada if caught.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Here's how question 6 is worded on form IMM5669E (Schedule A Background Declaration):

Have you ever:

b) been convicted of, or are you currently charged with,
on trial for, or party to a crime or offence, or subject
of any criminal proceedings in any other country
?

Followed by:

j) been detained, incarcerated or put in jail?

Now, arguably you could probably answer no to 6b (if you were never convicted of the DUI), but...you would certainly need to answer yes to 6j unless you were NOT arrested, detained or put in jail for the DUI.

It's a tough call.

mholly25

Jul 28, 2015
re: a candian citizen has a criminal record like 5 or 6 years ago,

Hi, can a canadian citizen with criminal record 5 or 6 years ago can marry or allowed to marry a filipina?the filipina is still here in canada

WeeHippieElf

Jul 20, 2015
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-05-2015
Doc's Request.
10-11-2015
AOR Received.
04-06-2015
File Transfer...
06-08-2015
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
DM 13-11-2015!!!
VISA ISSUED...
COPR 09-01-2016!!!!!
LANDED..........
21-05-2016!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
so your wife was convicted of DUI but as a Youthful Offender, is that correct? i would say that the conviction should be declared, so you're not in danger of misrepresentation, but explain that the Youthful Offender status is the American equivalent of a Young Offender in Canada. even though the ages are different and your wife would not have been a Young Offender if the charge was laid in Canada, she was a Youthful Offender in the country where the charge was laid. in the excerpt you provided, i would say she falls into the 'not necessarily inadmissable' category. of course, it should go without saying (but i'll say it anyway *lol*), i'm not a lawyer. good luck to you and your wife!