+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Outland or Inland? Canadian & Aussie

KangaRuthie

Mar 15, 2012
Hi everyone!

My partner is going to be sponsoring me in the upcoming months as his spouse.

We will both be in Canada during the process.
We need to know wether it is possible for us to lodge an out-land application, or would I have to be in Australia for that?
I am asking as it is my understanding that the processing times for Sydney are a lot faster (7mths)[flash=200,200][/flash]...or is the CIC website wrong???

Are there any other Canadian/Aussie couples who could provide their stories?

Also, any additional info regarding restrictions on either in-land/out-land would be extremely helpful from those in the know!

Thank-you :D

s.faye

Mar 14, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30 -07-2012
File Transfer...
15 - 10 - 2012
VISA ISSUED...
12-12-2012
Hey, I'm the same boat! Well, except it's reversed - my boyfriend's the one from au. We're getting our application ready now to send in June. I'm pretty sure for it to count as Outland you'd have to be in Australia.

Right now I'm staying with him in Perth, but I leave to go home in June when my visa's up .. :(. We're applying as outland as he'll be here but I'll be in Canada. Hopefully it won't take a long time to get approved.

Best of luck with your application!

missmini

Champion Member
Oct 6, 2009
Visa Office......
Amman
App. Filed.......
01-2012
Doc's Request.
05-2012 (CSQ approved)
AOR Received.
07-2012
File Transfer...
04-2012
Med's Done....
11-2011 (extended until 11-2013)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
02-2013 (finalyyyyyy)
LANDED..........
07-2013 (DONE - thank u all :):):))
s.faye said:
Hey, I'm the same boat! Well, except it's reversed - my boyfriend's the one from au. We're getting our application ready now to send in June. I'm pretty sure for it to count as Outland you'd have to be in Australia.

Right now I'm staying with him in Perth, but I leave to go home in June when my visa's up .. :(. We're applying as outland as he'll be here but I'll be in Canada. Hopefully it won't take a long time to get approved.

Best of luck with your application!
no no not true!!!! u can still do outland while he goes with u together in Canada....

as per the original question outland route is much faster, sydney is a great fast office, u would fly back to AUS only if u need an interview....inland would keep u stuck in Canada for mostly 2 years (if u leave Ca the application might b closed)....people have the wrong assumption that if u r in Canada then ur option is inland but no and especially no for people who don't need visa to enter Canada and r from countries with offices which process so fast

this question was asked millions of times.....the search function here is not great but it's still worth to spend the time to get the full picture and understand why some don't have much choice than inland and what's the pro/cons for each....

and no the CIC site is not wrong and Sydney could b even faster than that ;)

good luck!!

KangaRuthie

Mar 15, 2012
Thanks missmini :)

I've been looking thru this forum, but couldn't find a definite answer in amongst all the posts...so thank-you very much for your help!

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
The definite answer is what missmini told you. You can apply outland even if the applicant is in Canada visiting. And for an applicant from Australia, outland is the best option: it is a lot faster, you don't need a visa to go to Canada to visit so will not have to be separated from your partner during processing, and you keep your rights to an appeal.

missmini

Champion Member
Oct 6, 2009
Visa Office......
Amman
App. Filed.......
01-2012
Doc's Request.
05-2012 (CSQ approved)
AOR Received.
07-2012
File Transfer...
04-2012
Med's Done....
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
02-2013 (finalyyyyyy)
LANDED..........
canadianwoman said:
The definite answer is what missmini told you. You can apply outland even if the applicant is in Canada visiting. And for an applicant from Australia, outland is the best option: it is a lot faster, you don't need a visa to go to Canada to visit so will not have to be separated from your partner during processing, and you keep your rights to an appeal.
yeah very true u cannot appeal an inland refusal....

some people apply inland cuz their outland office is very slow, they r waiting in Canada and while waiting they could have a work permit (but that after maybe 11 months of process)...for outland while waiting in Canada u r visiting u cannot work and u need to extend ur visitor visa if it's the case :) but max 7 months for Sydney + maybe another 2 for sponsor approval is very decent :);)

(that was just an example, there r many other outland/inland pro/cons)

missmini

Champion Member
Oct 6, 2009
Visa Office......
Amman
App. Filed.......
01-2012
Doc's Request.
05-2012 (CSQ approved)
AOR Received.
07-2012
File Transfer...
04-2012
Med's Done....
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
02-2013 (finalyyyyyy)
LANDED..........
KangaRuthie said:
Thanks missmini :)

I've been looking thru this forum, but couldn't find a definite answer in amongst all the posts...so thank-you very much for your help!
u welcome :) good luck with it!!

KangaRuthie

Mar 15, 2012
Ah, thank-you for the extra info!

I knew I couldn't work & fortunately this is not an issue for us.
It is great to know we can be together and apply out-land...we've been apart for almost 5 months now after my work visa ran out.

I will be entering as a visitor next month and we are planning to get married in the summer ;D

Canstralian/Oznadian

Star Member
Mar 27, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-03-2012
AOR Received.
04-07-2012
File Transfer...
25-06-2012
Med's Done....
09-01-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
09-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
30-04-2013, arrived in Canada 13-05-2013
LANDED..........
31-05-2013
We just sent our application outland, and my Aussie hubby is here with me in Canada. I've read some good things about the Sydney Visa Office, and we're hoping to have the same favorable, quick results. Strangely, my husband is tired of being my laundry lad. ;D

KangaRuthie

Mar 15, 2012
hahaha yeah, I can understand with him being the man...having to stay home and not be the bread winner can be upsetting.
I'm going to look into doing volunteer work after we submit our package. That way I'll still be sane by the time I am allowed to work again!

misskay

Star Member
Dec 21, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Apr 8th
AOR Received.
Jul 11th
File Transfer...
Jul 31st
Med's Done....
Feb 20th
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Aug 31st
VISA ISSUED...
Oct 9th
LANDED..........
Oct 12th
Welcome KangaRuthie, we are also in the same boat. I have just sent an outland application via Sydney while living in Canada on a temporary work visa. Extensive research led me to believe that this is perfectly acceptable. I believe inland has more restrictions - takes a lot longer, you must remain in Canada and cannot appeal the final decision (please somebody correct me if any of this information is wrong).