+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Our immigration lawyer (David Cohen) has refused to represent

rajnik1976

Jul 1, 2009
Dear All,

I was thinking to apply for Canadian immigration through the famous immigration lawyer - David Cohen but he has refused to represent our case on the grounds that he is afraid that our application is likely to be refused.

We want to claim points as follow:

Principal applicant Age: 32 years Points: 10
Education: Masters Degree Points: 25
English Language: Points: 12
Experience: more than 4 years Points: 21
Spouse education: Bachelors Degree Points: 4

Total points: 72

The problem is with my work experience. I have worked with a College here in Ludhiana (India) as a Lecturer in Physical Education department during from August-1999 to Feb-2000 AND from August-2000 to March-2001 on adhoc (temporary) basis. The college has issed me a work experience certificate stating:

"She has worked with us as a Lecturer - Physical Education during academic sessions 1999-2000 & 2000-2001 on temporary basis"

Since they have not specified any dates on the letter instead they have mentioned I have worked with them for 2 academic sessions..........so Can I get through with this letter?

Mr. David Cohen has said NO because as per him CIC is enforcing this rule very tightly.

Seniors what do you think about this........please help.

aanbaan

Champion Member
Apr 1, 2009
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-Apr-2009
Doc's Request.
14-May-2009
AOR Received.
09-Jul-2009
Med's Request
30-Aug-2009
Med's Done....
05-Sep-2009
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
30-Aug-2009
VISA ISSUED...
24-Feb-2010
LANDED..........
08-Aug-2010
i think you can get away with this. try it...

but, Davis Cohen is a very experienced lawyer. You must not take his word lightly.

My suggestion.. you really want to try... try... even if they reject, they will refund all the money... and you will not be in a worse position that what are in right now

Fede

Jun 30, 2009
BsAs
Category........
Visa Office......
BsAs
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-04-2009
Doc's Request.
14-05-2009
AOR Received.
14-05-2009
IELTS Request
16-09-2009
File Transfer...
01-09-2009
Med's Request
16-09-2009
Med's Done....
22-12-2009
But on your points calculation you are claiming more than 4 years experience. Maybe you could claim experience elsewhere.

juanda78

Star Member
Feb 17, 2009
Canada
Hi,

I guess the problem is that you are claiming 4 years of continous work experience. Your own work experience letter states that you work on a temporary basis, for 7 months and then for 8 months. Why are you claiming 4 years? Your experience also needs to be "continuos". Like somebody said, if he thinks you are not eligible, maybe you are not right now. I personally don't think you are eligible either. But if you still want to apply, go ahead. Worst Case Scenario, Sidney will deny your application, and you will just have to wait for your refund for a couple of weeks.

Regards.

rajnik1976

Jul 1, 2009
Thanks for your comments friends.

Let me tell you all something why I am claiming 21 points.
Since April 2001 I am employed as Secondary teacher and Secondary teachers's are NOC 4141 and under skill type-A. My total work experience is around 10 years (including 1.5 years as a college lecturer) that is why I am claiming 21 points.

You are also right that I do not have one year continuos work experience but yet again the College has stated I worked for them for 2 academic sessions so perhaps this helps.

I am going to take my chance and apply with CIC - NS. Thanks guys.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

quote author=rajnik1976 link=topic=21886.msg112328#msg112328 date=1247501500]
Thanks for your comments friends.

Let me tell you all something why I am claiming 21 points.
Since April 2001 I am employed as Secondary teacher and Secondary teachers's are NOC 4141 and under skill type-A. My total work experience is around 10 years (including 1.5 years as a college lecturer) that is why I am claiming 21 points.

You are also right that I do not have one year continuos work experience but yet again the College has stated I worked for them for 2 academic sessions so perhaps this helps.

I am going to take my chance and apply with CIC - NS. Thanks guys.

[/quote

Look at the dates that you list, you don't have 1 years continuous work in the NOC that you are claiming. Cohen is probably right, but it is your time to waste.

PMM

ADA

Mar 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Mar 2009
Doc's Request.
07 Apr 2009 - Sent on 29 Jun 2009
Need 1 FULL CALENDAR year worth of experience..Otherwise it will be difficult

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Time wasted or not, if you don't try you'll never know. Other people have been told not to apply because they surely would be refused and they did and some of them did get refused but some got accepted. Never know if you don't try. If you are rejected, they refund your fees anyway so you have nothing to lose but time. If it doesn't work out, get the 1 year continous experience and then try again.

rupeshhari

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2008 to CIO
Doc's Request.
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Feb 2009 from VO
IELTS Request
Didn't do IELTS.
File Transfer...
Not transfered to regional office.
Med's Request
July 2010 with RPRF and another PCC.
Med's Done....
Meds - September 2010. PCC - Late Oct 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Early November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
December 2010 - Exactly days shy of 2 years since I sent in my application to CIO.
LANDED..........
It looks like you need one year of continuous of full time work experience or equivalent in part time. I am not sure what the equivalent in part time means, does it mean 2 years of part time work experience with no break or does it mean two part time jobs in the same year where a person holds two jobs at the same time.

Anyway, the fact that you have a break in the middle makes it difficult. You can read up more on it here.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/EnGLIsh/resources/manuals/op/op06-eng.pdf

I would appreciate it if someone can tell me what exactly the equivalent in part time experience means. Can it be two years of non-stop part time work?

BobbyB

Champion Member
Feb 10, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leon said:
Time wasted or not, if you don't try you'll never know. Other people have been told not to apply because they surely would be refused and they did and some of them did get refused but some got accepted. Never know if you don't try. If you are rejected, they refund your fees anyway so you have nothing to lose but time. If it doesn't work out, get the 1 year continous experience and then try again.
rajnik1976,

If I were you, I would go with LEON's Version.
Sometimes you just have to "gamble", irrespective of the outcome, especially when your position is such that you do not loose your initial stake.

Please note that, I am neither challenging nor doubting Mr David Cohen's decision.
Good Luck.

rupeshhari

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2008 to CIO
Doc's Request.
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Feb 2009 from VO
IELTS Request
Didn't do IELTS.
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Early November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
December 2010 - Exactly days shy of 2 years since I sent in my application to CIO.
LANDED..........
Rajnik, this might help. See oP6

be full-time work, which, according to R80(7), is equivalent to at least 37.5 hours of paid work
per week. Full-time work experience requirement may be met by the equivalent in part-time
paid work experience, e.g. two part-time jobs held simultaneously. Experience can be
calculated by adding up the number of weeks of full-time work, i.e. 37.5 hours per week in
one job or a total of at least 37.5 hours per week in more than one job, in one or more of the
NOC categories. Periods of work of less than 12 months during the 10 years immediately
preceding the date of the application may be added together and divided by 12 to calculate
the number of years.

The last sentence might give you some heart. This is for the work experience for points, perhaps the equivalency works for ministerial instructions too.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

rupeshhari said:
Rajnik, this might help. See oP6

be full-time work, which, according to R80(7), is equivalent to at least 37.5 hours of paid work
per week. Full-time work experience requirement may be met by the equivalent in part-time
paid work experience, e.g. two part-time jobs held simultaneously. Experience can be
calculated by adding up the number of weeks of full-time work, i.e. 37.5 hours per week in
one job or a total of at least 37.5 hours per week in more than one job, in one or more of the
NOC categories. Periods of work of less than 12 months during the 10 years immediately
preceding the date of the application may be added together and divided by 12 to calculate
the number of years.

The last sentence might give you some heart. This is for the work experience for points, perhaps the equivalency works for ministerial instructions too.
Nope, the Ministerial instructions are "continuous"

PMM

jtob

Feb 2, 2009
a lawyer who refuses to accept your money and represent you because he thinks your case is unwinnable is a good one. it means he's not only after the money.

mbomuluh

Jul 9, 2009
Well, I think so too...a bad lawyer will just take your money and deceive you that things can work out..anyway...you could try on your own but I am sure it might not go through!

rupeshhari

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2008 to CIO
Doc's Request.
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Feb 2009 from VO
IELTS Request
Didn't do IELTS.
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Early November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
jtob said:
a lawyer who refuses to accept your money and represent you because he thinks your case is unwinnable is a good one. it means he's not only after the money.
This is true. This speaks volumes about his integrity.