+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

our chances of successfully seeking immigration to Canada?

nnadalinn

Sep 11, 2014
Dear all,

I've come across this website, and even though there are so many questions being asked here, I hope someone will take the time to answer my query or at least shed some more light on what options my wife and I have vis-a-vis potentially immigrating to Canada.

We're 34 and 30 years old and we're newly-weds from one of the formerly Communist countries in central/eastern Europe. Our home country has been an EU member country since 2004 and we no longer need tourist visas when travelling to Canada for tourism (I know this is immaterial to immigration, but I thought I'd point it out anyway). Obviously the reason I'm writing here is that we're considering seeking immigration to Canada.

I've read about the 'Federal Skilled Worker' program and it appears that, at least in theory, we could fall under the eligible occupations numbered as 1123 and 5125 ('Professional occupations in advertising, marketing and public relations' and 'Translators, terminologists and interpreters', respectively). We both have master's degrees and both of us have had rather extensive experience in our respective areas of specialization. I have been an in-house translator and editor for seven years and, at the same time, a freelance translator (i.e. a self-employed individual) for six years. Both occupations have been basically full-time for the last year or so, in general I've worked really hard ever since I finished university. :) My wife, for her part, has spent the last few years in online marketing and has become an expert in what she does, even though she has no formal education in that particular area. I speak fluent English, my wife's knowledge of English is somewhat limited but I hope this could be fixed over some period of time.

Some more points to consider:
- we have received no job offer from Canada, but I'm told that this is not needed when our potential application is being assessed.
- apart from the 'Federal Skilled Worker' program, I for one might want to seek immigration as a self-employed individual, but my understanding is that the latter is a more difficult option. One way or another, I'd like to continue to work as a freelance translator after my potential immigration to Canada, as landing a job would be very difficult in its own right anyway. To be honest, I don't feel up to assessing my wife's potential chances of finding a proper job in Canada.
- neither of us has sat for an IELTS exam as yet.

Let me make it clear that neither of us has any intention of exploiting or misusing the social system in Canada, economically or otherwise. I studied specifically the translation and interpreting from and into English, because I like that language and pretty much all that concerns English-speaking countries, though I know full well that nobody will care about that when evaluating our potential application.

Thanks in advance for any response!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Self-employed is very difficult to qualify under and takes many years to process. Forget about it.

FSW (federal skilled worker) sounds like your best bet provided you have a minimum of 67 points (it sounds like you should - you'll have to do the calculation). Provided you can get all of the material you need together - your chances should be very good.

Don't wait until next year when the rules change and having a job offer in Canada will start being a lot more critial. Get your application in now.

You will need to be the primary applicant if your wife's English language skills aren't strong.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Just to add... I'd book an IELTS soon if you're serious about this. Sometimes you have to wait a few months before a spot is available.

nnadalinn

Sep 11, 2014
scylla said:
Self-employed is very difficult to qualify under and takes many years to process. Forget about it.

FSW (federal skilled worker) sounds like your best bet provided you have a minimum of 67 points (it sounds like you should - you'll have to do the calculation). Provided you can get all of the material you need together - your chances should be very good.

Don't wait until next year when the rules change and having a job offer in Canada will start being a lot more critial. Get your application in now.

You will need to be the primary applicant if your wife's English language skills aren't strong.

Many thanks, Scylla, for your answer, I greatly appreciate that. It has prompted me to ask a few more questions though, so please bear with me :)

In the first place, does that mean that my wife doesn't necessarily have to sit for an IELTS exam? Aside from the exam, does she need to go through the entire process as well or, owing to our being husband and wife, are we required to fill out a kind of joint application? Or alternatively, am I expected to fill out my own application and, if that turned out to be successful, would she automatically be entitled to become a legal immigrant too?

As well, is there any way either you or anybody else could provide me with a kind of overview or rundown of what I need to arrange post haste (and in what order) other than what appears in the 'Applying as a Skilled Worker' section on the GIC's immigration website? Come to speak of that website, is it all the forms and documents that appear in the Document Checklist for Federal Skilled Worker Class (IMM 5612) that I need to get done?

At the same time, I realize that I need to take an IELTS exam asap, but there are so many more things that apparently I (or both my wife and myself?) would need to get done such as having my (our?) educational credentials assessed/verified, etc. Sadly, it seems almost impossible to get all the paperwork done by the end of this year, mainly due to the fact that one usually has no infuence over how promptly avarious authorities will issue the requested documents to you.

At any rate, can you please also shed more light on the forthcoming changes? I suspect that they will be effective as early as January 2015, is that correct?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes - there are plenty of things you need to do including the assessment of your education.

Right now you're not in the quite right part of the forum. I would recommend you move over to the Skilled Worker section of the forum and spend a few days reading through the posts here (also the CIC web site). Most of your questions are fairly basic and are answered there.

Good luck.

nnadalinn

Sep 11, 2014
scylla said:
Yes - there are plenty of things you need to do including the assessment of your education.

Right now you're not in the quite right part of the forum. I would recommend you move over to the Skilled Worker section of the forum and spend a few days reading through the posts here (also the CIC web site). Most of your questions are fairly basic and are answered there.

Good luck.
Thanks again Scylla. Please don't get me wrong, but the number of posts and the 'traffic' as such in the Skiller Worker section is overwhelming for a person who's new to the entire process, and I doubt that there's a way for me to find answers to my questions there. There are thousands of messages in some of the threads, and honestly, the vast majority of them are not what I need at this point. That was partly why I chose to ask my newbie questions in this less crowded and supposedly more introductory general section. And that is why I then asked for being referred to sources designed for newbies. Even forum threads with truly introductory information for newbies would do. :) Alternatively, is there any way I could simply move this thread to the Skilled Worker section so that it hopefully becomes more visible? ;-) Thank you!

Edit:
I am now reading in the FSW 2014 Applicants Timeline- Lets Network Here thread about a cap on the number of applications for each category under the Skilled Worker programme. Is there really such a thing? I mean, where do I find information as to whether it actually makes sense to try to get all the paperwork together for sending it in, say, December if everybody sent their applications earlier in the year and therefore the caps in the categories that are of interest to me and my wife have been reached? This all is very confusing. :-(

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes, there is a cap for each occupation. You can find more information about the caps here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/complete-applications.asp

There is no sure-fire way to know how many applications have already been received for each occupation. There are application numbers displayed on the link I've provided above. However these numbers only reflect applications that have already been opened, reviewed, and accepted for further processing by CIC - and right now CIC is still working on applications received around May 22nd. If you go to the FSW section of this forum, you will find threads where people are attempting to guess which NOCs have or are close to capping.

If you are being confused by information as basic as whether or not there are occupation caps, I would VERY strongly recommend that you hire an immigration consultant or lawyer to assist you. Doing it yourself is only wise if you're comfortable reading through the information on the CIC web site and understanding it quite independently. If you didn't realize there were occupation caps until you read the discussions in the FSW forum, then I would be concerned you're going to miss a great deal more if you complete the process without professional assistance.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

nnadalinn

Sep 11, 2014
Thank you for your answer, Scylla. Even though I don't have spare thousands (?) of dollars to spend on an immigration consultant, I think I'll need to think about using this option, simply because I find the entire process too overwhelming and time consuming. Come to think of that, I'll appreciate it if somebody can refer me to a good ICCRC licensed consultant. Mind you, what would be the usual fee?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I don't know of any consultants. But I think you should expect to pay at least $2K.

Do you have enough money in your account to meet the proof of fund requirement for the FSW application? When you apply, you are going to have to show that you have a minimum of $14,720 Canadian in funds to support your settlement in Canada. Having these funds available is a requirement for applying.

nnadalinn

Sep 11, 2014
scylla said:
I don't know of any consultants. But I think you should expect to pay at least $2K.

Do you have enough money in your account to meet the proof of fund requirement for the FSW application? When you apply, you are going to have to show that you have a minimum of $14,720 Canadian in funds to support your settlement in Canada. Having these funds available is a requirement for applying.
The "at least $2K" is way below of what I expected, I thought it would go well over twice or three times as much at the very least. :) At any rate, what I meant to say in my previous message was that money spent on pretty much any (not just immigration) consultants isn't well spent, if one can do the majority of things on one's own (which I think I will indeed be able to do after reading about the process in more detail). What I may end up needing is a kind of check of all the papers if we manage to get all the documents ready for sending in time. Anyway, as advised, I'll move on to the FSW section to hopefully find answers to some specific questions of mine. Thank you so much for bearing with me Scylla! :)