+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Ottawa office is the slowest. Very unfair ... why?

Tamara_

Star Member
Mar 18, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dear all,

I found in more than one blog and forum that Ottawa office is the slowest. I feel disappointed and upset when I see other local offices are giving away tests and oath letters to their applicants so fast, while Ottawa office is hesitant and very mean in the whole process. Ironically, it is the capital of the country and things should be on the right track and running smoothly. Just thought of sharing my thoughts.

Thanks

Tamara

zsha

Star Member
Jun 12, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Mar 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Feb 2011
LANDED..........
April 2011
Hi Tamara,
I thought the same but for me, it took 9.5 mths for the whole process which is not bad.

om saif

Dec 3, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,
I know what you are talking about. Ottawa is really slow. It does not matter if it is faster than before. My sister had her citizenship in only four months. That was sex years ago. I know it is faster than the last four years but not than before. Some people make you feel like the new process is a favour that was done to you but actually it is not. Now, we are paying three times the fees that was paid before so, they can hire more people. Bill c24 was introduced to finish the backlog quicker. However, most of the offices are much more faster than ottawa. Is not it shameful that the capital city of Canada does not have judges for its ceremonies. They ask judges from other Provinces attend our ceremonies. Is there any logic in this? Why ottawa can not afford hiring judges?
Our process can be very fast if ottawa wants!!!

CanadianCountry

Jan 26, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-02-2010
Doc's Request.
16-03-2010
AOR Received.
24-07-2010
File Transfer...
24-03-2010
Med's Request
Yes
Med's Done....
Yes
Passport Req..
Yes
VISA ISSUED...
Yes
LANDED..........
Yes
Well according to some you dont get to say its unfair for slower processing.

Dont be ungrateful, atleast they accepted your application. Thats what some hardliners will say.

Tamara_ said:
Dear all,

I found in more than one blog and forum that Ottawa office is the slowest. I feel disappointed and upset when I see other local offices are giving away tests and oath letters to their applicants so fast, while Ottawa office is hesitant and very mean in the whole process. Ironically, it is the capital of the country and things should be on the right track and running smoothly. Just thought of sharing my thoughts.

Thanks

Tamara

ABscientist

Star Member
Mar 26, 2014
Tamara_ said:
Dear all,

Thanks

Tamara
How long does Ottawa take on an average to process applications?

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
maybe after a lull and the Ottawa office being caught up with the string of oath ceremonies in March, they will now steadily pick up speed. Imagine a steam engine that needs warming up and then it picks up speed and momentum. I am sure the pace will pick up and this lull and quiet period is before the busy activity inviting Ottawa applicants from June / July / Aug 2014 for tests and then on to later applicants.

But, yes, it is a turn off that the capital is slow....

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'm curious what statistics you found regarding processing times in various offices? I've only ever seen statistics that broke down processing times by regions, as here from 8/2013: https://residencequestionnaire.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/cic_processing_network_stats_q12013.pdf

If it's based on a few anecdotal reports (like "It took me 2 years in Ottawa and it took her 6 months in Toronto,") that's not great evidence when there's 200,000 to 250,000 applicants per year. Extrapolating large info from such a small sample (far less than 1% of applicants) isn't reliable.

That said, I know personally how frustrating it is to wait for citizenship without knowing when or if it may come. But for one's own emotional health, it's important to try to be clear about what's known and what's unknown, and to avoid filling in every blank with worst case scenarios.

Also, C24 was not created to "clear the backlog". There is nothing in the bill that creates or assures maximum processing times or more accountability or transparency for CIC. Zero.

In my opinion, the backlog was created to facilitate the passage of Bill C24. Creating a problem to solve a problem is a great political strategy.

etilsenter

Feb 4, 2023
Dear all,

Thanks

Tamara
It's February 2023 and Ottawa is still the slowest Canada wide. Actually slower now at minimum 2.5years to get citizenship. For clarity, Sydney is fast and just when they send to IRCC Ottawa local office, then it all becomes slow. Nova Scotia processes within 3-5months or less.
First Ottawa local office will delay until police certificate expires (if finger orint was requested). Then they will put you through the process all over again.
I know people in Toronto, Calgary, Winnipeg, who applied 1year after an Ottawa resident. Guess what? They have gotten their citizenship while the Ottawa applicant is still in process. Take not; nothing special about the applicant. It is don't to all applicants. Only when cbc or media escalates it, will they invite you for oath. Something is wrong and and no one is talking about it.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
It's February 2023 and Ottawa is still the slowest Canada wide. Actually slower now at minimum 2.5years to get citizenship. For clarity, Sydney is fast and just when they send to IRCC Ottawa local office, then it all becomes slow. Nova Scotia processes within 3-5months or less.
First Ottawa local office will delay until police certificate expires (if finger orint was requested). Then they will put you through the process all over again.
I know people in Toronto, Calgary, Winnipeg, who applied 1year after an Ottawa resident. Guess what? They have gotten their citizenship while the Ottawa applicant is still in process. Take not; nothing special about the applicant. It is don't to all applicants. Only when cbc or media escalates it, will they invite you for oath. Something is wrong and and no one is talking about it.
Agreed Ottawa is pretty slow. What is your timeline?
This is a old thread and people are sharing things on - https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/ottawa-applications.702017/

Super_Maxwell

Nov 13, 2023
It’s November 29. My citizenship application is still without any update since I received my AOR. Many guys who submitted later than me already finished the background check and citizenship test. It’s really not fair.