+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Organising a protest against Citizenship Act Bill C-24

john80

Feb 21, 2014
Have anyone think about organising a protest or demonstration against Citizenship Act Bill C-24 in front of parliament. I think the best time will be during the reading of the bill. This protest will attract the media.

sashali78

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can start by giving your hand to the petition:
http://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/house-of-commons-in-parliament-of-canada-do-not-allow-unfair-treatment-of-former-foreign-workers-and-international-students-by-new-canadian-citizenship-bill-c-24

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
sashali78 said:
have you thought about reading earlier posts on the forum?
http://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/house-of-commons-in-parliament-of-canada-do-not-allow-unfair-treatment-of-former-foreign-workers-and-international-students-by-new-canadian-citizenship-bill-c-24
John80 is suggesting an actual demonstration / protest (i.e. showing up in front of parliament in a group with signs) - not an online petition.

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
These are the folks to reach out to (i.e. especially the Liberals and NDPs on the Committee) to voice your views and express your displeasure. Guess emailing and Tweeting them puts the issues out there for all to see and debate.

http://www.parl.gc.ca/CommitteeBusiness/CommitteeMembership.aspx?Cmte=CIMM&Language=E&Mode=1&Parl=41&Ses=2

john80

Feb 21, 2014
We want to move from virtual to real world. I remember last time when US wanted to change the immigration laws. Lots of protests started and made pressure on them. Emails and online activities will not give that prussure. Usually online activities do not attract media like real activities.

txboyscout

Jun 9, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
03-08-2011
john80 said:
We want to move from virtual to real world. I remember last time when US wanted to change the immigration laws. Lots of protests started and made pressure on them. Emails and online activities will not give that prussure. Usually online activities do not attract media like real activities.
Just be aware of the potential pitfall

If you are arrested at a protest and there are charges laid against you, this could have an impact on your PR and/or Citizenship application. How's that for a Catch-22?

txboyscout

Jun 9, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
03-08-2011
walitys said:
Tx, have you ever heard about constitutional right to peacefully protest?
Yes, I have but there is no gurantee that it would be a peaceful protest, now is there? Emotions are at a very hightened state at a protest rally and al it takes is 1 spark to light a figurative fire

Remember the G20 protests in Toronto?

nguyentu2001

Champion Member
Mar 19, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
john80 said:
Have anyone think about organising a protest or demonstration against Citizenship Act Bill C-24 in front of parliament. I think the best time will be during the reading of the bill. This protest will attract the media.
I work full time during the day but I fully support this spiritually.

nguyentu2001

Champion Member
Mar 19, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
walitys said:
We can demonstrate on Saturday.
I am in Vancouver...so the parliament is in Victoria, It would not work well for me. Plus the fact that people here are from all over the place, how are we gonna get together?

txboyscout

Jun 9, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
03-08-2011
nguyentu2001 said:
I am in Vancouver...so the parliament is in Victoria, It would not work well for me. Plus the fact that people here are from all over the place, how are we gonna get together?
I assume the OP meant a protest outside Parliament in Ottawa, it would make no sense to protest outside Parliament in Victoria. The Porovincial govt has nothing to do with the bill

sufferer

Feb 15, 2014
Each major city has a Federal Building, where Federal local offices, like CIC local office, are located. In Edmonton, it is called Canada Place.