+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open work permits

mandy-4

Jun 12, 2018
Hi everyone I wanted to know is open work permit extendable.I have an open work permit and expiring in December.i still have not got my Pr done can I get it extended I have a full time job .Please advice

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi everyone I wanted to know is open work permit extendable.I have an open work permit and expiring in December.i still have not got my Pr done can I get it extended I have a full time job .Please advice
How did you qualify for your OWP?

assen89

Jun 30, 2017
Apply for a Bridging Open Work Permit(BOWP) if you have received your BIL and passed your medical, which indicates you passed the completeness check. My open work permit is expiring in February and I applied for BOWP 2 weeks ago.

Petpea

Aug 19, 2020
2 year study gives you a Post Graduate Work Permit ( and yes it is an open permit) BUT CANNOT Be Extended.

However if you have applied for your PR and have your file number, you can apply for a BRidge open work permit.

zupermarn

May 8, 2019
GTA area
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
The answer to your question is yes, Open work permit can be extended on one condition.
I was on the same situation, they gave me OWP for 1 year (based on my passport expiry date) and I did 2 years study.
I know that I am entitled for 3 years WP, So I applied for an extension and they gave me an additional 2 years (which is my complete 3 years).

On the otherhand, if they gave you your full 3 years WP then the answer is no. They cannot extend your wp because they don't give you pass 3years on OWP/ PGWP.

One thing I will advise is that you should ask your employer if they could help you with LMIA work permit - closed. You employee has to pay for compliance fee and then get approved and then assist your application. This is a work permit that restricts you from working for multiple employers. You can only work for one employer, which is the one on your Closed wp.

I hope this is clear