+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

open work permit

singh7

Jan 20, 2014
hi
My query is that after getting the nomination from BC PNP can we apply for open work permit
My application is in skilled worker category.
Any help would be greatly appreciated and if any one need any advice in PNP application do LMK

Thank you

lez_s

Star Member
Jul 16, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
NS
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-04-13
Med's Request
10-06-13
Med's Done....
17-06-13
Interview........
In-Process 28-10-13
Passport Req..
23-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
DM - 27-01-2014
LANDED..........
31-1-2014
The only way I know of getting an open work permit is 4 months before your PNP is due to run out. You can apply for a bridging visa that is an open work permit.

Marlee

Jan 16, 2014
Montréal, Québec
Category........
Visa Office......
CSQ: BIQ New York; QSW: CPC Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
CSQ: 14-01-2014, QSW: 08-12-2014
Doc's Request.
13-11-2015
Nomination.....
DM: 07-01-2016, CSQ: 15-10-2014
AOR Received.
CSQ: 14-05-2014, QSW: 26-03-2015
IELTS Request
IELTS 8.5 - TEFÀQ C1/C1
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
Waiver
Passport Req..
Visa-exempt
VISA ISSUED...
COPR received 14-01-2016
LANDED..........
17-01-2016
Who can apply for an open work permit?

You may be eligible to apply for an open work permit if you are in one of the following situations:

You are already working in Canada and your application for permanent residence has been approved under one of the following :
Spouse or Common-law Partner in Canada class
Live-in Caregiver Program
Federal Skilled Worker Program
Canadian Experience Class
Provincial Nominee Program
Federal Skilled Trades Program
humanitarian and compassionate grounds
You may also be eligible if you are a family member of someone whose application for permanent residence has been approved under one of the above.
Your spouse is
a skilled worker in an occupation under the National Occupational Classification (NOC) skill type 0, A or B ,
a foreign student
You are in Canada under a federal-provincial/territorial immigration agreement, including an active pilot project, or you are a spouse or dependent child of someone who is in Canada under a temporary foreign worker annex of a federal-provincial/territorial immigration agreement with an applicable pilot project.
You are a full-time student enrolled at an eligible publicly funded post-secondary educational institution or you are in an approved program at an eligible privately funded institution.
You have a temporary resident permit valid for at least six months.
You are participating in
the Canada World Youth Program; or
International Experience Canada .
You have filed a claim for refugee protection in Canada and
you are waiting for the Refugee Protection Division (RPD) of the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada to decide on your claim; and
you cannot pay for your basic needs without working.
The RPD has rejected your refugee claim
but the Government of Canada is not yet ready to remove you from the country and
You are a family member of a foreign representative.
You are a family member of a foreign military member who is working in Canada.
You are a professional athlete allowed to enter Canada and you need to do other work to support yourself while playing for a Canadian team.

singh7

Jan 20, 2014
So I have two doubts now
1. It says u can apply for open permit if u r already working in Canada and your application for PR has been approved:- If this means that I start working on a closed permit and apply for PR and as soon as I get my file number I can apply for Open permit??

2. It says u can apply for open permit if you have temporary resident visa of at least 6 months duration- If this the normal visitor Visa? because I have 10 year multiple entry visa with me. I can go to US and when I enter i can apply for open permit?

any suggestions?

Marlee said:
Who can apply for an open work permit?

You may be eligible to apply for an open work permit if you are in one of the following situations:

You are already working in Canada and your application for permanent residence has been approved under one of the following :
Spouse or Common-law Partner in Canada class
Live-in Caregiver Program
Federal Skilled Worker Program
Canadian Experience Class
Provincial Nominee Program
Federal Skilled Trades Program
humanitarian and compassionate grounds
You may also be eligible if you are a family member of someone whose application for permanent residence has been approved under one of the above.
Your spouse is
a skilled worker in an occupation under the National Occupational Classification (NOC) skill type 0, A or B ,
a foreign student
You are in Canada under a federal-provincial/territorial immigration agreement, including an active pilot project, or you are a spouse or dependent child of someone who is in Canada under a temporary foreign worker annex of a federal-provincial/territorial immigration agreement with an applicable pilot project.
You are a full-time student enrolled at an eligible publicly funded post-secondary educational institution or you are in an approved program at an eligible privately funded institution.
You have a temporary resident permit valid for at least six months.
You are participating in
the Canada World Youth Program; or
International Experience Canada .
You have filed a claim for refugee protection in Canada and
you are waiting for the Refugee Protection Division (RPD) of the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada to decide on your claim; and
The RPD has rejected your refugee claim
but the Government of Canada is not yet ready to remove you from the country and
You are a family member of a foreign representative.
You are a family member of a foreign military member who is working in Canada.
You are a professional athlete allowed to enter Canada and you need to do other work to support yourself while playing for a Canadian team.

Marlee

Jan 16, 2014
Montréal, Québec
Category........
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
13-11-2015
Nomination.....
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
IELTS 8.5 - TEFÀQ C1/C1
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
Waiver
Passport Req..
Visa-exempt
VISA ISSUED...
COPR received 14-01-2016
LANDED..........
17-01-2016
1. Exactly. Under normal circumstances you will need a labour market opinion (LMO) in order to get a closed work permit though.

2. I really do not know, I am sorry. But why don't you consult the test they offer at CIC? I am not able to post links here but just look it up. You can take the eligibility test online in order to evaluate if you are able to apply for an open work permit or not.

singh7 said:
So I have two doubts now
1. It says u can apply for open permit if u r already working in Canada and your application for PR has been approved:- If this means that I start working on a closed permit and apply for PR and as soon as I get my file number I can apply for Open permit??

2. It says u can apply for open permit if you have temporary resident visa of at least 6 months duration- If this the normal visitor Visa? because I have 10 year multiple entry visa with me. I can go to US and when I enter i can apply for open permit?

any suggestions?

Marlee

Jan 16, 2014
Montréal, Québec
Category........
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
13-11-2015
Nomination.....
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
IELTS 8.5 - TEFÀQ C1/C1
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
Waiver
Passport Req..
Visa-exempt
VISA ISSUED...
COPR received 14-01-2016
LANDED..........
17-01-2016
I think I found the answer to your second question. For a second I thought, obtaining a visitor visa for 6 months or longer might be a brilliant idea if this makes you eligible for an open work permit. However, after a long research on the CIC website, I found this explanation:

"A visitor is a person who is legally allowed to stay in Canada temporarily.

A temporary resident permit holder is a person issued a permit showing they have special permission to be in the country, when they would normally not be allowed to enter Canada or remain here."

Conclusion: No, a visitor visa (regular tourist visa) does not make you eligible for an open work permit. I am sorry, but hey, if this was an option, this would have been THE master plan! :D

sherry999

Jan 16, 2014
Hi,

I am currently in Canada on work permit. Currently my work permit entitles me to work only for my current employer, I am here on deputation. After this project I may need to go back.

I have been approved by MPNP and have applied for PR and sent the application to Novascotia.

My question is that, is there any possibility for converting my closed work permit to closed work permit. My current work permit is valid up to 2015. All the responses or information I saw suggest that one is eligible if the work permit is about to expire but mine is valid until another 16 months.

Any suggestion or information is much appreciated.

singh7

Jan 20, 2014
Okay thank you I got what you saying.. :D

I have one more query.
Can we get our work permit transferred as in case of Closed permits.
Like I have submitted my PNP with an employer , Now I have found a much better employer with same position where I am getting better facilities and salary.
So is it possible to just transfer it?

Marlee said:
I think I found the answer to your second question. For a second I thought, obtaining a visitor visa for 6 months or longer might be a brilliant idea if this makes you eligible for an open work permit. However, after a long research on the CIC website, I found this explanation:

"A visitor is a person who is legally allowed to stay in Canada temporarily.

A temporary resident permit holder is a person issued a permit showing they have special permission to be in the country, when they would normally not be allowed to enter Canada or remain here."

Conclusion: No, a visitor visa (regular tourist visa) does not make you eligible for an open work permit. I am sorry, but hey, if this was an option, this would have been THE master plan! :D

lez_s

Star Member
Jul 16, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
NS
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-04-13
Med's Request
10-06-13
Med's Done....
17-06-13
Interview........
In-Process 28-10-13
Passport Req..
23-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
DM - 27-01-2014
LANDED..........
31-1-2014
I've asked this question and got the answer of, the new employer would have to apply for a new PNP for you e.g. you can't transfer your PNP work permit.

You could phone the PNP people as they are good to talk to, well the BC ones are.