+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open Work permit

Motherbuddha

Feb 24, 2012
Hello again, another question here, I think I have all my questions answered or have found them out using the internet apart from this one.

When we apply from within Canada for me to become a permanent resident using the spouse application form can I send my application form off for an open work permit at the same time?

Also I am unsure as to the requirements of been eligible for one, I will be married to a Canadian citizen and I am from the uk, I know I will be waiting for up to 11 months to get my PR so we will be living on a budget..

Basically what requirements do I have to meet if any if I am applying this way if that makes sense.

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
To receive an open work permit, you need to first be found eligible for permanent residence. When you submit the application for the work permit with the PR application, ensure you specify that they are not to review the OWP UNTIL you have been assessed for Approval in Principle.

May I ask, if you are a UK citizen, you are aware that you may apply through London while remaining in Canada?

Motherbuddha

Feb 24, 2012
Hello, thank you for the reply, I am unsure what you mean when you say I can apply in London while remaining in Canada, do you mean apply out land and just visit Canada during that time or something else?

I am still trying to et my head around all this immigration stuff, it's alot to take in Eh?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can apply inland through Vegreville. Inland has an open work permit after 11 months or so but you must stay in Canada during your processing.

You also have the option of applying outland through Mississauga and London. The processing time for PR will definitely be shorter than inland. If you are lucky, you will have your PR already by 11 months. If you apply outland, there is no open work permit but you can be in the UK or in Canada as you wish.

Motherbuddha

Feb 24, 2012
Thank you Leon I see, both me and my girlfriend, soon to be wife both want to be together while are application is in progress, I know that things will be hard for a while, but we don't want to be apart any longer than we have to be.

Currently saving up some money while she looks for a job you know..

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
Motherbuddha said:
Thank you Leon I see, both me and my girlfriend, soon to be wife both want to be together while are application is in progress, I know that things will be hard for a while, but we don't want to be apart any longer than we have to be.

Currently saving up some money while she looks for a job you know..
I think in your case it's probably best to apply outland. You can still remain in Canada during the process as a visitor. You can not work, but at least you can travel back and forth between Canada and UK without risking to loose your application.
London is probably faster than the 11 months you would have to wait for the first stage of inland, by the time with outland you probably will have your PR already. Current first stage approval for outland is 69 days, and second stage in London can be as short as 3 months, but average 8 months - so it's still better.

Lots of UK nationals are applying outland while remaining in Canada, and that's not a problem.
Feel free to ask questions if needed!
Cheers,
Sweden