+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open Work Permit for Spouse's of International Students | Medicals IMM1017E | Profile Processing

shivaniverma_88

Star Member
May 21, 2021
Category........
PNP
Hello Everyone,

I am an International Student in Canada and I have submitted my husband's Open work permit application online from India on 28th Feb 2021. He has completed his biometrics on 3rd March 2021 and since then there has been no activities on his application. He has not given the medicals yet as there was no option for him to submit an upfront application. Does anyone has any idea on what to do at this point of time now? I am waiting for his profile to update with IMM1017E form for medicals. Is there any way we can get the medicals done faster?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello Everyone,

I am an International Student in Canada and I have submitted my husband's Open work permit application online from India on 28th Feb 2021. He has completed his biometrics on 3rd March 2021 and since then there has been no activities on his application. He has not given the medicals yet as there was no option for him to submit an upfront application. Does anyone has any idea on what to do at this point of time now? I am waiting for his profile to update with IMM1017E form for medicals. Is there any way we can get the medicals done faster?
Due to covid many Indian application processing has slowed down dramatically

sourabhbhola

Star Member
Mar 8, 2019
Hello Everyone,

You should have done medical prior to submitting application. It can be done without any document given my ircc. We have to call panel hospital and book an appointment with name and passport number.
After going there we have to tell them that we will apply for work permit. They will perform tests and give us a print out that will mention our details. We have to upload medical at time of applying work permit( this speeds up the process). All hospitals were open in feb and march. I don't know about now. Book next available appointment and send medical via webform

Reactions: jeeneet

jeeneet

Star Member
Sep 2, 2020
Hello Everyone,

Saurab is correct.
Your spouse should call the hospital and get the appointment for him.
On the date of appointment carry open work permit application copy, original passport and copy of passport. Once the medical tests are complete, a Medical receipt will be provided.
Use the Ircc webform to update the information that you have completed upfront medical and upload this medical receipt. Also please note that the medical results are sent by the hospital directly to IRCC. You may see the medical update in GCkey as "passed" after 2-3 days. Yet the medical status may not be visible starting the 4th day and it will continue to show as "medical not required" until you get your PPR.
Hope this information helps

shivaniverma_88

Star Member
May 21, 2021
Category........
PNP
Thank you so much @jeeneet @sourabhbhola and @canuck78

I will definitely now follow as you said as there is not update until now.
Also, I have heard that even if we do upfront medicals, they will send mail again to do it and then we might have to do it again. I hope that does not happen with us. Do you have any guidance on that?

It is really disheartening to see no updates at all.

shivaniverma_88

Star Member
May 21, 2021
Category........
PNP
Thanks @jeeneet
I did as you have mentioned and we got the medicals passed on 4th Aug updated on the file.
But then no PPR or anything since then. Do you have any suggestions on what I could do to get some response from IRCC?

miucchi

Aug 11, 2021
Thanks @jeeneet
I did as you have mentioned and we got the medicals passed on 4th Aug updated on the file.
But then no PPR or anything since then. Do you have any suggestions on what I could do to get some response from IRCC?
I passed my medical on July 23 and no PPR until now. Open work permit application also. We applied from Japan.

jeeneet

Star Member
Sep 2, 2020
Thanks @jeeneet
Waiting is the only solution now. You may email asking travel exemption and file to be processed if it's crossed the average processing time. But chances are there that file will go for a hold

jeeneet

Star Member
Sep 2, 2020
Thank you so much @jeeneet @sourabhbhola and @canuck78

I will definitely now follow as you said as there is not update until now.
Also, I have heard that even if we do upfront medicals, they will send mail again to do it and then we might have to do it again. I hope that does not happen with us. Do you have any guidance on that?

It is really disheartening to see no updates at all.
If we do upfront medical, you are never asked to do medical again unless the validity of one year expires. That information is wrong.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Waiting is the only solution now. You may email asking travel exemption and file to be processed if it's crossed the average processing time. But chances are there that file will go for a hold
There is no travel exemption. Indian offices were essentially closed for a few months and priority processing is for the students before September. You are still in fairly typical processing time for SOWP these days and SOWP is not guaranteed. Your only real option is to wait.